Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

maybe a lot of PS5 are affected, but a lot of people, like me, never connect their controller to the console, i charge my controllers with a phone charger.

Very few people (no-one outside of tournaments!) will be frequently plugging and removing plugs, especially in the back ports. I have in there a PS4 storage drive. It's plugged in, to stay.

So yeah, it could be an endemic fault, unusual wear-and-tear. That said, this is the first tournament it's mentioned after three years of PS5's hosting it? Unless everyone is behaving differently this year, it's either a change in the hardware, or they've used the same hardware for three tournaments and the USB ports are just worn out.

Very few people (no-one outside of tournaments!) will be frequently plugging and removing plugs, especially in the back ports. I have in there a PS4 storage drive. It's plugged in, to stay.

So yeah, it could be an endemic fault, unusual wear-and-tear. That said, this is the first tournament it's mentioned after three years of PS5's hosting it? Unless everyone is behaving differently this year, it's either a change in the hardware, or they've used the same hardware for three tournaments and the USB ports are just worn out.
Yea tourney will be massive plug in and plug out. You basically had like thousands of rounds being played where each person brings their own controller and plugs in sets up. And when they are done pack up and the next set of players comes in until you get to the finals.

It’s the only scenario where you in a situation where the console can never take a break for 12 hours a day, and people constantly plugging in and out.

Of course, the same happened in other tournaments, so it is a vulnerability of these PS5's over other generations of consoles. It'll take a proper investigation to understand what's happening, which I doubt will ever happen - swap out the consoles and carry on. Unless it becomes a large enough issue, it's just a fringe fault that happened in a way to get notable coverage.

30% increase in price. Perhaps some titles will start to be day and date or sony just feels there isn't as much competition and they can raise prices

Sony deserve to get dragged for attempting to raise prices in the same way MS got dragged for trying to double price of XBL. Absolute morons. Do they think we are made of money? Give an inch take a mile

Sony deserve to get dragged for attempting to raise prices in the same way MS got dragged for trying to double price of XBL. Absolute morons. Do they think we are made of money? Give an inch take a mile
Stop subscribing. That's the only thing you can do as an individual that sends a message.

30% increase in price.
Lower in UK, such as 20% for bottom tier. US getting proportionally higher increases.
Perhaps some titles will start to be day and date
Very much doubt that. If that was the plan, surely Sony would be communicating that to soften the negative PR of the price hike?
or sony just feels there isn't as much competition and they can raise prices
This.
Given the huge profitability of PSN already, it feels greedy. There aren't any obvious economic considerations driving this either. Are the cloud companies, Amazon et al, increasing their prices? A quick Google says yes.

"Over the past year, there has been a 23.0% increase in average prices of on-demand compute instances at AWS."

Might be the cloud providers putting the squeeze on. Also maybe high energy costs are impacting a major operating cost for online services? The press release isn't blaming factors specifically, unlike the hardware price increases that were attributed to costs. It's also an aside, rather than a major announcement, which is underhanded. A huge hike in subscription costs should be notified explicitly to give people the choice to cancel subscriptions.

What have they shrunk that enables this? Just less heatsink needed? Ipresume this board will go into a redesigned case, which will be a decent sized reduction.
They moved from 7nm to 6nm chips. I am guessing they were able to reduce power consumption and were able to remove vrms and other items required for delivering power.
Lower in UK, such as 20% for bottom tier. US getting proportionally higher increases.

Very much doubt that. If that was the plan, surely Sony would be communicating that to soften the negative PR of the price hike?

This.

Given the huge profitability of PSN already, it feels greedy. There aren't any obvious economic considerations driving this either. Are the cloud companies, Amazon et al, increasing their prices? A quick Google says yes.

"Over the past year, there has been a 23.0% increase in average prices of on-demand compute instances at AWS."

Might be the cloud providers putting the squeeze on. Also maybe high energy costs are impacting a major operating cost for online services? The press release isn't blaming factors specifically, unlike the hardware price increases that were attributed to costs. It's also an aside, rather than a major announcement, which is underhanded. A huge hike in subscription costs should be notified explicitly to give people the choice to cancel subscriptions.
1) sorry don't really pay much attention to the uk. I believe its up to 38% in the states

2) Maybe or they will just do it and not say anything in regards to it and let the backlash pass after a few days or weeks

3) It could be any of those issues. Does sony operate its own cloud infrastructure?

What have they shrunk that enables this? Just less heatsink needed? Ipresume this board will go into a redesigned case, which will be a decent sized reduction.
If it's a decent form factor I will buy it if the price is right. I like the segmented design but I am desperate for something atleast notably smaller even if it's not like some ultra slim and sleek thing like we expect out of slims

Looks like it's mostly optimization of the board, layout and tracing. There's a lot less wasted space in the newer board and no components look obviously shrunk.

So, likely a similar level of heat generation in a smaller space.

Regards,
SB

The crazy part is the only way to back up PS5 saves is to the cloud via PS+. You can’t backup PS5 saves to USB. I haven’t exactly been paying attention, but I can’t believe a bigger stink wasn’t made of this and it hasn’t stuck around.

PS+ has usually been half off around Thanksgiving in the US, so maybe this brings the minimum official (vs. 3rd party resellers) entry to multiplayer and save backups to $40 vs. the $30 it used to be.

Of course, Sony doesn’t guarantee keeping your cloud data forever, so they may delete it anytime after your subscription lapses.

Sony’s costs must be higher than MS because they’re not incremental additions to their existing cloud centers, so I can’t entirely blame them for following MS’ lead (much like MS followed Sony’s on console pricing).

The crazy part is the only way to back up PS5 saves is to the cloud via PS+. You can’t backup PS5 saves to USB. I haven’t exactly been paying attention, but I can’t believe a bigger stink wasn’t made of this and it hasn’t stuck around.

PS+ has usually been half off around Thanksgiving in the US, so maybe this brings the minimum official (vs. 3rd party resellers) entry to multiplayer and save backups to $40 vs. the $30 it used to be.

Of course, Sony doesn’t guarantee keeping your cloud data forever, so they may delete it anytime after your subscription lapses.

Sony’s costs must be higher than MS because they’re not incremental additions to their existing cloud centers, so I can’t entirely blame them for following MS’ lead (much like MS followed Sony’s on console pricing).
There's a way to back-up saves to a USB drive but it's slow and tedious. You can create a system back-up which includes saves and restore that but you lose the granularity of the way back-ups worked on prior Playstation systems. Funnily enough you can still create save back-ups and restores for PS4 games on a PS5 console, exactly as it used to work on a PS4.

As someone that doesn't have PS+, simply because I mostly use my PS5 for exclusives which generally are singleplayer focussed, I now have no proper way of making back-ups of my saves. Which annoys me. On previous systems I always made a manual back-up every now and then as both it and restoring was fast and easy to do.

I'm not paying €70,- just to store a few MB of data on Sony's servers.

Back