Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Two gens of fabrication advancement should help but we aren't going to see tiny $200 boxes ever again (short of thin streaming clients).
Exactly. PS2 Slim came out in 2004, $200 back then is $323 in 2023 after accounting for inflation - that's 61% rise.

I always thought that was that the hardware ie the hdmi port can do 8k, what does it really say/mean?
It is, the hardware (supported bandwidth) of the port itself along with the firmware (features) are what drive which the HDMI negotiation stage which decides on what picture resolution, bit depth, audio formats, and peripherals comms like CEC and ethernet data, are used by two compatible devices.

Wouldn't you need the full HDMI2.1 bandwidth to deliver an 8K image? If I recall correctly the PS5 HDMI2.1 port is currently limited to 32Gbps instead of the full 48Gbps or has this been addressed with a firmware update?

8K@60Hz with 8bit color depth and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling would already require roughly 32Gbps bandwidth.

Wouldn't you need the full HDMI2.1 bandwidth to deliver an 8K image? If I recall correctly the PS5 HDMI2.1 port is currently limited to 32Gbps instead of the full 48Gbps or has this been addressed with a firmware update?
This is where HDMI gets messy. 8K resolutions are only formally part of the HDMI 2.1 specifications and the cable is important; HDMI 2.0 cables are rated (tested and certified) at 18Gbps and HDMI 2.1 cables are rated at 48Gbps, but the bandwidth isn't fixed and cable quality and length play a huge part.

It's also worth remembering that most mid-to-high tier HDMI 2.0 chipsets included include firmware updatable features and software configurable clocks meaning some devices that shipped as HDMI 2.0 can be firmware updated to HDMI 2.1. A good HDMI 2.0 cable will easily carry more than 18Gbps and HDMI includes image compression called 'Display Stream Compression' (DSC), which variably provides compression in the range of 1.3:1 up to around 3.5:1.

So it's possible to get compressed 8K over a good HDMI 2.0 cable using compression. A lot of HDMI 2.0 ports are also flexible on resolutions, which is why non-standard HDMI resolutions like 1440p just work, so 8k/30/24/40 can be achievable on a pure HDMI 2.0 setup. Interfaces seem to lean on calculating the require bandwidth negotiating a resolution/depth/audio connection on that basis.

HDMI feels less like a standard at this point, and more a collection of data transfer principles. I have done a lot of professional HDMI development work. Too much for any sane person. :runaway:

8K@60Hz with 8bit color depth and 4:2:0 chroma subsampling would already require roughly 32Gbps bandwidth.
What's odd is that their HDMI cable is rated (and has being tested) for 40Gbps.

Anyone know what is happening with PS5 usb's ? Apparently news out of evo is that its anything plugged into it

1691361812302.png
1691361824493.png

Found a thread about it back in nov of 2020 on reddit also

Seems like a faulty outlier given it's not a common complaint. The melting point of the connectors is 80 degrees C. DF's measurement of the back port was around 50 C. If it was operating conditions of the consoles at Evo, such as gaming in very high ambient temperatures, you'd expect it to happen to everyone's USB devices.

Ah ,yes. the blue part of the USB connector is detaching and getting stuck inside the slot part of the USB plug. Perhaps cheap USB ports in those PS5s as a cost-cutting measure? Bad batch?

It'd be nice to know how many PS5s were affected and what the environment is like. Although the story mentions a second location. I don't know how these plugs are assembled. Conceptually, a glue sticking the USB together is melting rather than the plastic. Or the physical mounts are just a bit rubbish, if that's what's used. AFAIK this is the first mention of it so it's not like it's a widespread problem; there aren't Reddit threads full of the same issue unlike previous problems like overheating consoles and common reports of dodgy optical drives.

Might be a batch of PS5's with poor USB ports.

Back