Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Previous slims PlayStations have generally been achieved through some considerable reengineering of the fundamental design. That's not completely off the cards, PlayStation 5 is currently on a 6nm process, maybe they are moving to 5nm, and reducing the PSU draw, and cooling demand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Making the Blu-ray drive an optional external purchase also helps.

Unfortunately 5 nm still commands a significant premium (about 30%) over 7 nm (6 nm is a slight tweak of 7 nm so is similar in cost). And that's not forecast to change (projections for 2025 TSMC pricing reflects that). And it only gets more dire as you move down. 3 nm commands a 50% premium over 5 nm. It's going to be interesting to see what Sony and MS end up doing to try to keep costs reasonable for the next generation of consoles.

Unlike previous generations there's little to no cost savings for going down to a smaller node. Although if it allows them to ditch the liquid metal cooling that might bring some savings.

It kind of makes me wonder if we'll see a slim released for the same price as the outgoing launch design.

Regards,
SB

Unfortunately 5 nm still commands a significant premium (about 30%) over 7 nm (6 nm is a slight tweak of 7 nm so is similar in cost). And that's not forecast to change (projections for 2025 TSMC pricing reflects that). And it only gets more dire as you move down. 3 nm commands a 50% premium over 5 nm. It's going to be interesting to see what Sony and MS end up doing to try to keep costs reasonable for the next generation of consoles.

Unlike previous generations there's little to no cost savings for going down to a smaller node. Although if it allows them to ditch the liquid metal cooling that might bring some savings.

It kind of makes me wonder if we'll see a slim released for the same price as the outgoing launch design.

Regards,
SB
soc is only one element of consoles, ram and ssd are still going cheaper with time (also times where sony was losing on selling console are in the past but history like to repeat)

Unfortunately 5 nm still commands a significant premium (about 30%) over 7 nm (6 nm is a slight tweak of 7 nm so is similar in cost).
By whose reckoning? Referring to industry-standard costings is irreverent for Sony, who are one of TSMC's biggest customers. They're not just having chips for PlayStation produced but silicon for everything, including hundreds of millions of CCD sensors for their CMOS sensor division.

Sony are not paying standard TSMC rates. The only other company that is throwing TSMC that large a predictable annual business is Apple and unlike Sony, TSMC are not building fabs on Apple facilities. Don't underestimate the value of that relationship and what they means for negotiating vastly better rates.

If they made quality content, it'd sell. The problem is a creative drought and too much content and competition. A top-quality game that's not in an oversaturated market wil make top dollar, as will a film. Producers just need to get on top of the content creation process and stop hoping throwing money at Spectacle is a good business strategy as it clearly isn't.

And you don't see that becoming an issue in games. We constantly have to hear about MS only being gears/halo/forza. sony has already made horizon 1,2,vr and 3 is in the works along with a multiplayer thing. That is a franchise that is about 6 years old. Spiderman a 2018 franchise will have its 3rd release this year.

I'd say we are already seeing a creative drought in gaming.

And you don't see that becoming an issue in games. We constantly have to hear about MS only being gears/halo/forza. sony has already made horizon 1,2,vr and 3 is in the works along with a multiplayer thing. That is a franchise that is about 6 years old. Spiderman a 2018 franchise will have its 3rd release this year.

It is funny that you are complaining about a "creative drought" in gaming and yet at the same time you are supportive of further consolidation and buyouts of large multi-format publishers which will reduce the choice for consumers further and probably make the industry even more risk-averse than it already is.

What do you think MS is going to do with all those old Activision games, they're going to go on a "reboot" spree just like the movie industry is where the new versions usually suck compared to the old ones ( I'm thinking of Disney with the live-action remake of Pinocchio) .

I'm sure everyone is just looking forward to seeing Pitfall being 'rebooted" as a Tomb Raider/Uncharted rip-off, that should make big bucks ..lol

And as for your constant spinning back to Sony.... well 🤯

You are making taking you seriously in discussions very hard bro. Almost every discussion you participate in must be a made up argument about Sony vs MS.
You aren't even trying to bring a serious argument. :-|

Insider gaming hasn't managed to verify it. If insider gaming verified it, it will basically be confirmed.

All of their verified leaks turns out to be real.

The model number doesn't square with a slim model though.

It would be CFI-2000 no?
It must be much smaller! If it's 5nm and they already had some possible space savings on the inside of the box at 6nm, I can't see why not.

Please Sony, I am waiting for a slim to buy. I can't justify that monster in my home 😔

£80 price drop confirmed. Disc only - clearing stock.

What's the future pricing going to be? One SKU only, £400, drive sold separately? Demand still seems high at this price point so no need to drop and milk higher margins on lower cost Slimmer.

£80 price drop confirmed. Disc only - clearing stock.

What's the future pricing going to be? One SKU only, £400, drive sold separately? Demand still seems high at this price point so no need to drop and milk higher margins on lower cost Slimmer.
I think that sounds about right. Dropping to >£350 within 0-6 months of the PS5Pro releasing at £500-£550

Should a Pro be released, that is.

If anything this clearing stock for the slim version imo.

To me this Sony clearing stock of their last console that will ever have a built in disc drive.

Wouldn't it be a 150 discount? Wasn't the price raised to 550 in non USA countries? Also, weren't Sony and Microsoft stating that they didn't foresee a future where they could lower the prices due to transistor costs? Is Sony just taking a loss now?

probably the ps5 slim will be the same price as ps5 de. sony will pocket an increased profit, or will allow retailers to have more sway in giving discounts.

Wouldn't it be a 150 discount? Wasn't the price raised to 550 in non USA countries? Also, weren't Sony and Microsoft stating that they didn't foresee a future where they could lower the prices due to transistor costs? Is Sony just taking a loss now?
Well in the UK it is dropping from £480 ($600) to £400 ($500). That's $103 current exchange.

Cost reductions were likely possible,, just not as extreme as previous consoles. Two gens of fabrication advancement should help but we aren't going to see tiny $200 boxes ever again (short of thin streaming clients).

Back