Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

btw does LM really needed? IIRC someone tried replacing it with thermal paste and the PS5 didnt overheats, right?
General rule of thumb: don’t do less than the manufacturer.

You want to go thermal paste? Go liquid cooling. Etc. you can always do more, but don’t do less. Consoles are designed to be as cheap as possible, getting cheaper is a recipe for risk.

Btw this video shows thermal paste didn't make PS5 overheats, but only tests for 15 minutes, and it does make the fan annoying (it spins up and down all the time, maybe due to the fan curve was optimized for temperature characteristic with LM)

Btw this video shows thermal paste didn't make PS5 overheats, but only tests for 15 minutes, and it does make the fan annoying (it spins up and down all the time, maybe due to the fan curve was optimized for temperature characteristic with LM)

I get that you do not belive a LM PS5 will survive your luck, why do you think a modded one with thermal paste has any chance? The fans are probably optimised with the Sony thinks the temps should be, to not mess up the PS5. If they could have not used LM, do you think they still would have gone with LM?

I get that you do not belive a LM PS5 will survive your luck, why do you think a modded one with thermal paste has any chance? The fans are probably optimised with the Sony thinks the temps should be, to not mess up the PS5. If they could have not used LM, do you think they still would have gone with LM?

I was just responding about previous post that say PS5 overheats with normal TIM.

I don't claim to say normal TIM would be good for years for PS5. I even specifically mention that the youtuber only tested it for 15 minutes, and clearly mentioned the fan speed issue.

As for theoretically, if normal TIM is fine, then why the heck Sony chose to use LM, then maybe because they want PS5 to be quiet within the dimension and HSF profile constrain, and thinks the price premium of LM worth it?

Only 15mn completely invalidates that test. I remember specifically a youtuber test with the "and it overheated" or similar in the title.

My guess is they went with liquid metal because it improves the efficiency of the cooling system. Meaning they can get the same cooling with less investment in the rest of the cooling hardware and still adequately cool the machine. So it might be cheaper overall. And it's great PR.

Last edited:
I would expect this, any imperfections in the seal would most likely be exposed following repeated use, i.e. expansion and contraction.

Yes, if there is a flaw (either design or material) it's likely to take some amount of time for it to lead to a failure. Liquid metal used in a console is new, hell, it's not terribly common in relatively cheap consumer electronics. So, it's possible there are characteristics of the design (material or implementation) meant to contain the liquid metal that may fail over time in certain conditions due to there not being a large body of material about the use of liquid metal in large scale consumer (versus professional) applications where cost is more of a factor than robust (expensive) designs (materials, assembly, etc.).

It'll be interesting to keep track of it, but probably not something to stress out over unless or until there starts to be a rash of failures in the liquid metal containment system.

Regards,
SB

the title of that video "PS5 Liquid Metal vs Thermal Paste - It OVERHEATED!"
Yep that must be that video. But I think the guy should have tested more thoroughly. A real test should be a worst case test: at least 1 hour with a game we know consume >220W (we know a few of them now thanks to AJ Gaming on YouTube) and in a hot room (30°C). I'd wager in that case PS5 would very likely overheat.

I'd imagine that a few units would have the issue as with any electronics that were made. But I would think it would take years of use for it to really cause a problem. No process is perfect. Until we see large scale reports of them dying and people going in to repair them and finding liquid metal on the board before removing the heatsink I don't thik anyone should worry.

Have the Slims always had a die shrink of the chips?

Although the Slim also have represented a price cut as well, but that doesn't seem likely for a PS5 Slim.

Now, is the "slim" going to still be significantly bigger than the XBS-X? :D

Regards,
SB

Looks like its a way to sell a digital for more, have 1 main sku for the console and let those that want a disc drive pay extra for the drive.
I tried to get a digital version when I got my PS5 at launch and have never used the drive for anything.
This would have worked for me back then, I assume that Sony was afraid of the backlash from deviating to far from what people are used to. Gamers are bunch of very conservative people anyway :D

Back