Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

And for many, Covid-19 meant working from home during lockdown which resulted in significant savings on not commuting, travelling or going out as much. We saved so much during lockdown, we could have bought two PS5s every month by working from home savings.

!!! Whoa !!!

Things must be crazy expensive up where you are. 1k USD from commuting to work and lunch? It's like 100-200 USD for the same out where I live.

Regards,
SB

Things must be crazy expensive up where you are. 1k USD from commuting to work and lunch? It's like 100-200 USD for the same out where I live.
London is one of those disproportionality expensive places to live/work. If you live inside and work just outself, or live just outside and work inside, the commute can become really expensive. Then, as @iroboto highlighted, there are incidentals that rack-up like daily coffee, breakfast, lunch, after-work meet ups and so on. You are vaguely aware of it, but until these things are removed by lockdown you may not realise how much they accumulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
!!! Whoa !!!

Regards,
SB
That's what, £800 a month? Over 30 days, £26 a day. Yeah, easily $1000 a month in London or other pricey areas (train ticket might be £15+ a day season ticket, plus £10 food), but an outlier versus the median. Still, over several months a lot of folk could have saved enough for a costly console, even an overpriced scalper deal. I think there a good argument that Lockdown economics caused an increase in luxury stay-at-home expenditure.

That's what, £800 a month? Over 30 days, £26 a day. Yeah, easily $1000 a month in London or other pricey areas (train ticket might be £15+ a day season ticket, plus £10 food), but an outlier versus the median. Still, over several months a lot of folk could have saved enough for a costly console, even an overpriced scalper deal. I think there a good argument that Lockdown economics caused an increase in luxury stay-at-home expenditure.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. Where I'm at it's 60 USD a month for a bus pass and I'd rather pack a lunch than eat out (healthier and cheaper). Commuting from the family ranch into town (20-25 mile round trip) 5 days a week would be about 100 USD a month with my car (a little over 40 mpg on the highway). Man, that commute is so expensive now with the high gas prices. Back when I was actually making that commute to work in town it was under 40 USD a month with a car that only got a little over 30 MPG on the highway.

Yeah, I guess I'm quite happy not to live somewhere like Seattle, NY, LA, San Francisco, etc. Or even London.

Regards,
SB

Commute to London in your car! :ROFLMAO: £11 a day parking, £15 Congestion Charge, and £1.65 a litre petrol where you waste 4 litres and 3 hours a day idling stuck in stationary traffic on the M25.
The way you guys describe London is like a city designed deliberately to fucked you up just by existing in it

What in the world is a 15 pound congestion charge? :p You get taxed for being in traffic?
London has 'congestion charging zones' (areas) which incur a charge in you enter (with exemptions and discount applying, for example to electric vehicles) to encourage fewer cars, with a view to reducing air pollution. These zones work. :yes: I personally would welcome more pedestrianised areas and good bike lines are fairly prolific in parts of London.

But anyway, I reckon we saved 30-40% from less travel and the rest from not buying coffees, lunch, and going out less in the evenings. It's no secret that making your owns meals is vastly cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
London has 'congestion charging zones' (areas) which incur a charge in you enter (with exemptions and discount applying, for example to electric vehicles) to encourage fewer cars, with a view to reducing air pollution. These zones work. :yes: I personally would welcome more pedestrianised areas and good bike lines are fairly prolific in parts of London.

But anyway, I reckon we saved 30-40% from less travel and the rest from not buying coffees, lunch, and going out less in the evenings. It's no secret that making your owns meals is vastly cheaper.
i used to be a brand manager for one of the debenhams departments in my country so I would visit London to meet with the suppliers, and I must say London is an interesting city which I m thankful I m not living in, because it doesnt feel like actually living. Unless you get a substantial amount of money and your job allows a lot of leizure time, most people would wake up very early to be on time with the transportation, get to work, leave late from work, spend like an hour or more on transportation, get home, spend more of the limited free time available to eat, rest, go to sleep early to get enough energy for work and repeat.
If that was my life and I was living in a huge set of rules I m sure I would have been mentally unhealthy and my most common entertainment would have been netflix and pubs.
Its efficiently designed for production and consumption though, but thats not my thing.

Thats why in general I m not a fun of mega cities.

Unless of course I m a tourist or a student

edit: I mean I can see how Covid restrictions opened a whole new world of time and expenditure management in that ecosystem

Last edited:
Never goto Tokyo. :nope:
Tokyo is fun, as a tourist, albeit I preferred Osaka, then again I only visited those two places and Kyoto.

Commutes are a killer, luckily I now got a 7min walk to the office, I used to have a 40 minute subway+buss ride (15-20 minutes of that was waiting for the buss) , until we moved the office close to my home :)

Tokyo is fun, as a tourist, albeit I preferred Osaka, then again I only visited those two places and Kyoto.

Commutes are a killer, luckily I now got a 7min walk to the office, I used to have a 40 minute subway+buss ride (15-20 minutes of that was waiting for the buss) , until we moved the office close to my home :)
I love Tokyo, but if you dislike massive cities (like Nesh) then Tokyo is best avoided.

What's fun in Tokyo for tourists?

When I visited Japan, Osaka got more fun/positive interactions with the restaurants/food stalls/randos

Kyoto also good.

Wait a sec. We are in PS5 thread

What's fun in Tokyo for tourists?

When I visited Japan, Osaka got more fun/positive interactions with the restaurants/food stalls/randos

Kyoto also good.

Wait a sec. We are in PS5 thread
Travelling abroad reduces your ability to afford a PS5. :yep2: PSVR2 should make virtual travel fairly accessible. (y)Despite a post-Covid cost of living crisis, Sony seem confident of increasing PS5 sales in places like Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. :runaway:

Travelling abroad reduces your ability to afford a PS5. :yep2: PSVR2 should make virtual travel fairly accessible. (y)Despite a post-Covid cost of living crisis, Sony seem confident of increasing PS5 sales in places like Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. :runaway:
God forbid people become even more wusses and addicted to the digital addiction dystopia that corporations are preparing.

Playstation VR2, keep your hikikomori lifestyle and experience the world!

Back