Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Curious email from Sony today. Invited to buy a PS5 through their PS store. The small print says:

• Due to high demand, consoles are limited to 2 per household.

Not sure what to make of that. Are they thinking of existing owners wanting to give chrimbo presents? A sell to an existing PS5 owner is surely going to generate less software and subs than a console to a different household, and it's not like there's a lack of demand.

Not sure what to make of that. Are they thinking of existing owners wanting to give chrimbo presents? A sell to an existing PS5 owner is surely going to generate less software and subs than a console to a different household, and it's not like there's a lack of demand.
Yeah, could be, although according to the stock checker websites the UK has had PS5 availability for a while. Not at all stores simultaneously, but GAME have had stock of both consoles for a few days and still do.

Theres ps5’s in stock here in electronic shops. Have been since about a week. 6690kr (670usd) for the disc edition, with fifa 23 its 7590kr (760usd). Their not flying off the shelves but vice versa. Demand may be due to price.

Controllers are 100usd a piece. Games 10 to 20usd higher than last gen, not forgetting the psn services increases.

Yeah, could be, although according to the stock checker websites the UK has had PS5 availability for a while. Not at all stores simultaneously, but GAME have had stock of both consoles for a few days and still do.
That stock is normally forced bundles with crazy high prices. Curry's in stock at £700 minimum. GAME appears to have some lower priced consoles in stock but I don't know if they tell you they are out of stock until you've checked out!

PS5 Digital going for £530+ on eBay. Disc for £650 tops but also better deals for £530-540. Suggests it's still not readily available with a 35% markup on the digital and best-case 20% markup on Disc.

For comparison, XBSX is <£400 new on eBay. Ergo UK demand for PS5 is substantially higher meaning limited availability, so why extend to two per household?

Theres ps5’s in stock here in electronic shops. Have been since about a week. 6690kr (670usd) for the disc edition, with fifa 23 its 7590kr (760usd). Their not flying off the shelves but vice versa. Demand may be due to price.
Well, precisely. Sony's offering them for RRP. They would sell to more customers than the overpriced retail options. Why give existing owners the option for a second console when the first-user market isn't even close to being satisfied?

Well, precisely. Sony's offering them for RRP. They would sell to more customers than the overpriced retail options. Why give existing owners the option for a second console when the first-user market isn't even close to being satisfied?
Maybe they think or view existing owners as being tasked with helping out friends find a PS5 console? Afterall, I had my launch day console yet spent the next few years helping others to get one too. So you let the enthusiasts expand the market to their casual gamer friends.

psn services increases.

Dang. I already forgot about that!

PS plus was around 15-20 usd per year in my region. Then they increased it to be the same as US.

Dunno how it's pricing is now with the new ps plus tiers.

I need to remmeebr to point that out to my cousin that's looking for buying a PS5 and keeps refusing my offer to lend my Xbox series s with gamepass till 2023.

Dang. I already forgot about that!

PS plus was around 15-20 usd per year in my region. Then they increased it to be the same as US.

Dunno how it's pricing is now with the new ps plus tiers.

I need to remmeebr to point that out to my cousin that's looking for buying a PS5 and keeps refusing my offer to lend my Xbox series s with gamepass till 2023.

>700 dollars for just the console, a controller goes for almost 100usd, games are around 80usd and then the psn service increase (ps+ from last gen to current). PSVR 650usd here.
Absurdly expensive considering last generation. Two year old console (mid range 2020 in raster tops).

For comparison, XBSX is <£400 new on eBay. Ergo UK demand for PS5 is substantially higher meaning limited availability, so why extend to two per household?
Perhaps as you speculated earlier, to allow people to buy one for themselves and one as a generous Christmas gift. It may be a temporary concession.

>700 dollars for just the console, a controller goes for almost 100usd, games are around 80usd and then the psn service increase (ps+ from last gen to current). PSVR 650usd here.
Absurdly expensive considering last generation. Two year old console (mid range 2020 in raster tops).

Slim ps5... Pls...

Anyway, ps games usually quickly got discounted. Usually 3 months after release. So I guess that means more people gonna defer their buying things.

If it's like Nintendo with their immortal MSRP and used price, then people still can buy games at launch and calmly play games, then sell it used with minimum loss

But ps games often gets discounted in just 3 months

Perhaps as you speculated earlier, to allow people to buy one for themselves and one as a generous Christmas gift. It may be a temporary concession.

Maybe they know they will have more consoles available too.

People forget with the new forecast from 18 million PS5 to 23 million for the current fiscal, Sony will have shipped 42.8 million PS5 the 31rst march 2023. And they said they will ship more than 23 million PS5 next fiscal years it means minimum 65.4 million PS5 the 31rst march 2024 and if the Tom Henderson rumour of 30 million PS5 shipped next fiscal year is true 72.3 million PS5.

Grey imports has been always in stock for awhile now. But PS5 thru official distribution channels are still out of stock. Usually when they suddenly become in stock, the stock went poof in just days.

I'm currently monitoring PS5 stock as a cousin want to buy one

Grey imports has been always in stock for awhile now. But PS5 thru official distribution channels are still out of stock. Usually when they suddenly become in stock, the stock went poof in just days.

I'm currently monitoring PS5 stock as a cousin want to buy one

In Spain it is the same but situation improve a bit. When the console appear online before it was possible to order during a few seconds, now it is possible in one or two minutes. After this is impossible to find a PS5 out of a retailer bundle at 700 to 900 euros. I wait when the console will be available without games to buy one. Curious to see when the offer will be enough to meet the demand.

OwqKlvN.jpg

and that situation was ongoing worldwide, not just NA (at least from people complaining from all over the world). crazy

It just makes you wonder what is that which makes people so much more interested than before. Is it the idea that there are shortages and thus everyone tries to get it as fast as possible than wait?
Or is it the product itself being perceived as a much better one?
If it is the latter the PS5 had the potential to surpass even PS2.
What a great missed opportunity for Sony.

Maybe they know they will have more consoles available too.

Given the recently released manufactured vs shipped PS5 numbers, I think Sony are stocking up for Christmas. I wonder if part of it is the cost of living crisis hitting many across Europe, so if you restrict one sale per home and not all of those homes feel that now is a good time splurge on luxurious, you may lose sales. Relaxing that limit and you may catch the more affluent friends and family crowd.

It's not like you can walk into any store and buy a PS5, but they do seem to have been more readily available over the past month - assuming you're willing to buy online in some kind of bundle.

It just makes you wonder what is that which makes people so much more interested than before. Is it the idea that there are shortages and thus everyone tries to get it as fast as possible than wait?
Or is it the product itself being perceived as a much better one?
If it is the latter the PS5 had the potential to surpass even PS2.
What a great missed opportunity for Sony.
demand dies off unless the price point can come down, there is always saturation at every price point. It's unlikely the PS5 will ever shrink or be cheap enough to catch up to the times of PS2 where node drops were sizeable differences that reflected heavily on the price.

Back