Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

demand dies off unless the price point can come down, there is always saturation at every price point. It's unlikely the PS5 will ever shrink or be cheap enough to catch up to the times of PS2 where node drops were sizeable differences that reflected heavily on the price.
Of course there is a saturation point.
But here there are signs that the saturation point might be higher as evident by the above since it shows higher demand than the slimmer and cheaper PS4 at a times where the economy is at a much worse state.

Of course there is a saturation point.
But here there are signs that the saturation point might be higher as evident by the above since it shows higher demand than the slimmer and cheaper PS4 at a times where the economy is at a much worse state.
Covid was a large factor and many people with disposable income that typically wouldn’t buy a console bought in earlier. All of tech experienced a significant growth during this time because everyone was forced to stay home. Gaming has fallen back significantly since covid levels and response are now well, normalized, except in china (fingers crossed this doesn’t change this winter) Which is why we see a fall off in MAUs despite more consoles being sold.
All I see is covid causing a significant blip in demand at a higher price point. Had covid not happened I don’t think ps5 would even surpass ps4.

Covid was a large factor and many people with disposable income that typically wouldn’t buy a console bought in earlier. All of tech experienced a significant growth during this time because everyone was forced to stay home. Gaming has fallen back significantly since covid levels returned to normal. Which is why we see a fall off in MAUs despite more consoles being sold.
All I see is covid causing a significant blip in demand at a higher price point. Had covid not happened I don’t think ps5 would even surpass ps4.

The MAU are lower because PS4 owner suspend the PS plus until they find a PS5, this is my case for example. I will buy why when the offer will be enough to satisfy the demand. I think it will be next spring. I could play God of War Ragnarok on my PS4 Pro but I don't want to do it.

The launch of GOD of War Ragnarok was crazy with queue everywhere around the world and some shop were out of stock of physical version.

Many games will be long seller because people will want to buy them when they have a PS5.

Last edited:
The MAU are lower because PS4 owner suspend the PS plus until they find a PS5, this is my case for example. I will buy why when the offer will be enough to satisfy the demand. I think it will be next spring.
MAUs aren’t linked to subscription though. MAUs are whether you decide to turn the console on to use it for that month.

MAUs aren’t linked to subscription though. MAUs are whether you decide to turn the console on to use it for that month.

The same I have my PS4 Pro. I don't want to play the game on PS4. I could play God of War Ragnarok but I am not interested because I want to play it on PS5. This is exactly what Sony describe they said PS4 player play less and unsubscribe to PS plus. They need to have more PS5 on the market. But the number aren't bad. 42.3 million PS5 shipped next March and minimum 65.4 million in March 2024 is very good but people are thirsty. I am on a spanish discord, one funny stuff. One guy have alert for every retailer about PS5. He was in an internal meeting and he asked the team lead if he could use is phone to buy a PS5 and the lead let him do because people know how it is difficult to buy one.

At the end Sony will again sold nearly 120 millions PS5 and maybe a little more with better console sales in Asia.

EDIT: When people have bag with a PS5 inside, people clap hands and ask how they succeed to have one on street. I see the scene two times here in Spain. In France someone would probably try to rob you...

Last edited:
The same I have my PS4 Pro. I don't want to play the game on PS4. I could play God of War Ragnarok but I am not interested because I want to play it on PS5.
I get that, but that's not describing a larger trend here:

According to the data, PlayStation's monthly active users (MAUs) were down to 102 million in Q2'22, representing a drop of 1 million users in a quarter-over-quarter basis, and a reduction of 2 million users on a year-over-year basis. The Q2 period actually had the lowest MAU count in the last three years. Pre-pandemic PlayStation MAUs were 96 million in Q2'19, and then shot up to 106 million during Q3'19 to reflect seasonal holiday boosts.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/89322/playstation-monthly-active-users-maus-fall-to-lowest-point-in-3-years/index.html

I don't think that has anything to do with GOWR, it just has to do with people returning to their daily lives post covid. It's not a sleight against PS here, but people wanted to do something at home, and other friends chose playstation or Xbox, so they bought into either PS or Xbox. Both companies experienced larger than anticipated demand for their consoles, but that extra demand is now gone with people returning to their regular lives.

Covid was a large factor and many people with disposable income that typically wouldn’t buy a console bought in earlier. All of tech experienced a significant growth during this time because everyone was forced to stay home.
And for many, Covid-19 meant working from home during lockdown which resulted in significant savings on not commuting, travelling or going out as much. We saved so much during lockdown, we could have bought two PS5s every month by working from home savings.

And for many, Covid-19 meant working from home during lockdown which resulted in significant savings on not commuting, travelling or going out as much. We saved so much during lockdown, we could have bought two PS5s every month by working from home savings.
yea its crazy how much people saved not going into the office. Just the transportation, coffee, snacks and eating out for lunch would have been enough to cover a PS5 for some people. The amount friday-saturday evening drinking/eating and sports games...paying for dates! oh how wonderful it was to be married before the tinder generation. I can't imagine dating 3x a week, wallet would be toast. There's just so much alcohol money being reprioritized

Last edited:
I get that, but that's not describing a larger trend here:

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/89322/playstation-monthly-active-users-maus-fall-to-lowest-point-in-3-years/index.html

I don't think that has anything to do with GOWR, it just has to do with people returning to their daily lives post covid. It's not a sleight against PS here, but people wanted to do something at home, and other friends chose playstation or Xbox, so they bought into either PS or Xbox. Both companies experienced larger than anticipated demand for their consoles, but that extra demand is now gone with people returning to their regular lives.

Again maybe for Xbox but PS5 is not available everywhere if it was the case retailer will not do what they are doing now in Spain. Or there won't be a limit of two PS5 by family in UK. Sony rise the forecast for current fiscal year from 18 million to 23 millions PS5 and they expect they need more next fiscal year, they said they will ship more than 23 million PS5. The PS5 stay online one to two minutes here because they have more stock but some people continue to be frustrated because they can't have the console.

And I don't care of the tweakdown article because Sony CFO answer during the Q/A about MAU and PS plus and they said people are stopping play PS4 faster than expected and the answer to this was to ship more PS5.

This is one of the reason of cross gen games but at the end people want to play the best version.

esta agotada ya
al ritmo que se agotan los packs de 800 no sorprenderia que en diciembre para navidades los packs sean de 1200
This is from my discord, they sold bundle at 800 euros and they are gone very fast this is from this morning. Some people think retailer will do bundle at 1200 euros during christmas period.

But some people want to wait they sold the console without games and don't want to buy bundle. I think situation will go back to normal next Spring.

Alguien sabe de algún lado que te venda la PS5 estandar o digital sola con mando, sin juegos ni nadam?

EDIT: Retailer are doing some shitty things some bundle have two recent game plus one older game inside and if someone calculate they sold the game at high price but you can find it on retail at 25/30 euros and not a used version.

Last edited:
Had covid not happened I don’t think ps5 would even surpass ps4.

PS5 hasnt surpassed the PS4 in the same timeframe though? On the demand, we wont know if demand is higher for PS5 than PS4. Demand for electronics/gaming/PC's went up due to the pandemic and is now flattening out again. Demand could actually be lower for PS5 since its much more expensive (console itself, games, services etc) in a reccessed economy.

PS5 hasnt surpassed the PS4 in the same timeframe though? On the demand, we wont know if demand is higher for PS5 than PS4. Demand for electronics/gaming/PC's went up due to the pandemic and is now flattening out again. Demand could actually be lower for PS5 since its much more expensive (console itself, games, services etc) in a reccessed economy.

PS5 is 4 million behind PS4 for the moment but next year they will be ahead of the PS4 again. Demand for PC is going down not PS5 and PC is much more than gaming. And before COVID Sony were saying demand of PS5 is ahead of PS4. This is something going on before COVD, during COVID and now after COVID in a reccessed economy. If it wasn't the case retailers could not do the shitty practice they use here. PS5 don't cost 550 euros here but 800 euros minimum because the don't sold the console out of bundle.

They will ship 5 milllion PS5 than they forecasted until the 31rst march 2023 thinking that production problem will continue. Between MArch and September 2023, they will probably again be ahead of the PS4 for the same period.

PS5 is 4 million behind PS4 for the moment but next year they will be ahead of the PS4 again.

That remains to be seen then. No crystal ball here.

Demand for PC is going down not PS5 and PC is much more than gaming.

Demand for PC gaming hardware/software is not going down. Office pc's etc yes but thats due to the temporary boost during the pandemic.

And before COVID Sony were saying demand of PS5 is ahead of PS4. This is something going on before COVD, during COVID and now after COVID in a reccessed economy. If it wasn't the case retailers could not do the shitty practice they use here.

Before Covid. The PS5 has increased base price since then, increased price for services and before the recessed economics around the world.

And I don't care of the tweakdown article because Sony CFO answer during the Q/A about MAU and PS plus and they said people are stopping play PS4 faster than expected and the answer to this was to ship more PS5. This is one of the reason of cross gen games but at the end people want to play the best version.
Yeah, I totally get this. I put off playing (or finishing) some PS4 games until PS5 launched because some games had already been confirmed as running at 60fps.

That remains to be seen then. No crystal ball here.

Demand for PC gaming hardware/software is not going down. Office pc's etc yes but thats due to the temporary boost during the pandemic.

Before Covid. The PS5 has increased base price since then, increased price for services and before the recessed economics around the world.

Again this is how they sold console and this is sold out after one or two minutes. Like I said PS5 don't cost 550 euros but 830 euros is one the cheapest bundle with FIFA 23 it reach 899 euros for example.

And Christmas Bundle will probably be above 1000 euros... They do this because demand is very high and this is Spain where salary are lower than in some other part of Europe.

Again this is not crystal ball but Sony have a good idea of the demand with PS direct and the feedback of retailer. This is how you do a forecast with data. After 2008, consoles continue to sold well despite a big crisis and the infamous 599 PS3.

Again this is how they sold console and this is sold out after one or two minutes. Like I said PS5 don't cost 550 euros but 830 euros is one the cheapest bundle with FIFA 23 it reach 899 euros for example.

And Christmas Bundle will probably be above 1000 euros... They do this because demand is very high and this is Spain where salary are lower than in some other part of Europe.

Again this is not crystal ball but Sony have a good idea of the demand with PS direct and the feedback of retailer. This is how you do a forecast with data. After 2008, consoles continue to sold well despite a big crisis and the infamous 599 PS3.

Right, explains some GPU prices then.

Covid was a large factor and many people with disposable income that typically wouldn’t buy a console bought in earlier. All of tech experienced a significant growth during this time because everyone was forced to stay home. Gaming has fallen back significantly since covid levels and response are now well, normalized, except in china (fingers crossed this doesn’t change this winter) Which is why we see a fall off in MAUs despite more consoles being sold.
It seems Covid isnt the sole factor because demand is still over the roof. When PS3 was sold at a similar price point, shops were stacking units.
Now the console is signifcantly overpriced by retailers and scalpers and it continues to sell like crazy.
MAU's are dropping because after 8 years the older consoles are losing steam with not enough next gen consoles available at the hands of consumers to renew momentum.

Back