Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Wut, turns out Sony flagship wireless headset (xm 5) does not support PS5.

The older model, xm3 have aptx support so potentially compatible with PS5 via USB Bluetooth aptx dongle that faked itself as USB audio instead of USB Bluetooth.

But the latest model xm5 didn't support aptx, and have no support for whatever PS5 wireless is being done for dualsense audio.

Edit :
Oh turns out xm5 compatibles with Bravia TV. So it's just Sony being Sony, they want you to use Bravia TV

Edit :
Oh turns out xm5 compatibles with Bravia TV. So it's just Sony being Sony, they want you to use Bravia TV
This seems to be the a fairly normal implementation now. You connect the the PS5 to the TV, and the headset to the TV. Perhaps it is easier to sync audio with video when the TV drives everything..

If you use the TV as the audio connection, does that disable the PS5 Tempest Audio 3D stuff? I kind of recall a discussion around how that only works through headsets through controller or direct attached to PS5 console, but my memory is lossy.

If you use the TV as the audio connection, does that disable the PS5 Tempest Audio 3D stuff? I kind of recall a discussion around how that only works through headsets through controller or direct attached to PS5 console, but my memory is lossy.
They added a 3D audio mode for TV speakers at some point. It doesn't sound very good though.

It might be a distance / sweet spot thing. The sound reminds me of the old 2 speaker 3D audio on PCs with say Aureal cards. If you got yourself positioned just right between the speakers it can work quite well.

Last edited:
They added a 3D audio mode for TV speakers at some point. It doesn't sound very good though.

It might be a distance / sweet spot thing. The sound reminds me of the old 2 speaker 3D audio on PCs with say Aureal cards. If you got yourself positioned just right between the speakers it can work quite well.

Ah yes, I remember those ancient but loveable PC Aureal3D demos. Shame about it being pushed to irrelevance as Creative went with reverb effects instead.

So in the situation where one has the headset synced to the TV driven by the PS5, would the console be set as TV Audio or can you force it to Headset Audio? That would have a difference in what HRTF are selected, right?

Ah yes, I remember those ancient but loveable PC Aureal3D demos. Shame about it being pushed to irrelevance as Creative went with reverb effects instead.

So in the situation where one has the headset synced to the TV driven by the PS5, would the console be set as TV Audio or can you force it to Headset Audio? That would have a difference in what HRTF are selected, right?
Creative did 2 speaker 3D audio too but Aureal did it better. And there was the excellent Sensaura tech. DirectX 7 even supported software-based HRTF audio so games could offer that as an option, or they could use middleware like Miles Sound System.

I have only used a headset via the PS5 controller 3.5mm jack. The controller audio does show up separately from TV audio. The headphone output sounds great, reminiscent of an X-Fi doing CMSS-3D Headphone.

In the case routing audio through the TV, voice chat goes mic > TV > PS5 > internet > PS5 > TV > headphones? And if the TV and PS5 are connected via an amp, mic > TV > AMP > PS5 > internet > PS5 > AMP > TV > headset? Is there the possibility of multiple audio processing steps or is audio kept raw until routed to the intended target device?

I had an Aureal 2 card. If I looked away from the moving objects in the demo, the 3D effect completely went away. It was weird.
After twenty years I still have never identified the one Xbox game that used HRTF 3D. I'd like to see if the experience was the same.

I had an Aureal 2 card. If I looked away from the moving objects in the demo, the 3D effect completely went away. It was weird.
After twenty years I still have never identified the one Xbox game that used HRTF 3D. I'd like to see if the experience was the same.

If you mean og xbox all games went DD5.1 instead.

The NVidia audio in Xbox used licensed Sensaura tech. It's possible some games use HRTF when in a stereo speaker config.

Do we have any idea what is the chip cost saving of going from 7 to 6 nm is? I didn't think it was significant but guess in consoles it's worth it + the ancillary cost reductions that come from a cooler chip.

Do we have any idea what is the chip cost saving of going from 7 to 6 nm is? I didn't think it was significant but guess in consoles it's worth it + the ancillary cost reductions that come from a cooler chip.
I would be surprised if there was a cost saving at all, this may just about there being 6nm manufacturing capacity and Sony eating the cost to boost production of PS5.

It will be a whilst until it's known if Sony have migrated entirely over to 6nm, or if there is a mix of 7nm and 6nm - which adds some complexity to the supply chain but being a CE company, Sony should be used to complex component chains.

21a22864927f320c9441.jpg

Wut, turns out Sony flagship wireless headset (xm 5) does not support PS5.

The older model, xm3 have aptx support so potentially compatible with PS5 via USB Bluetooth aptx dongle that faked itself as USB audio instead of USB Bluetooth.

But the latest model xm5 didn't support aptx, and have no support for whatever PS5 wireless is being done for dualsense audio.

Edit :

Yikes that sounds like a missed opportunity to get more people buying Sony ecosystem products

Back