Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The rumour doing the rounds of the next PS5 having an external/detachable blu-ray drive strike me as odd. The current design makes the disc drive look like an afterthought already.

It would let Sony bump up the price on the disc version by saying 'look, you get $50 off this $200 peripheral. Bargain!'

The rumour doing the rounds of the next PS5 having an external/detachable blu-ray drive strike me as odd. The current design makes the disc drive look like an afterthought already.

It would let Sony bump up the price on the disc version by saying 'look, you get $50 off this $200 peripheral. Bargain!'

I don't think it would be odd if they do it. Listen at the end of the day with Digital gaining more and more market share they are going to find ways of maximizing the dwindling amount of people who want optical discs.

Right now its what $400/$500 for the system. They can just make a slim model all with the same tooling and casing and simply make the $400 slim 1TB and the $500 slim 2TB or just go to one sku at 1TB for $400 and then a psvr bundle for $800-$1k and then have a $100-200 add on for anyone who still wants discs. In the future they can just continue to support that add on drive for the ps5 pro or ps6 too.

I don't think it would be odd if they do it. Listen at the end of the day with Digital gaining more and more market share they are going to find ways of maximizing the dwindling amount of people who want optical discs.

Right now its what $400/$500 for the system. They can just make a slim model all with the same tooling and casing and simply make the $400 slim 1TB and the $500 slim 2TB or just go to one sku at 1TB for $400 and then a psvr bundle for $800-$1k and then have a $100-200 add on for anyone who still wants discs. In the future they can just continue to support that add on drive for the ps5 pro or ps6 too.

Agree with you on digital/sku options. To be clearer, just thought it was odd in context of the existing PS5 hardware design. The disc drive is already slapped on in a way that looks quite cheap to do. I assume a fully external drive means it can go cheaper still, especially as the 'slim' version shrinks the case.

I wouldn't be surprise to see them ditch the removable covers on a future design too. That seems like a needless expense.

Last edited:
Maybe to simplify manufacturing process?

So they will just make 1 type: PS5 new.

Then slap a USB disc drive into the box for premium SKU

Edit: or even better, it will be the retailers that slaps USB drive box to PS5 new box.

Allowing Sony to manufacture the USB drive on a different part of the world for cheaper, while keeping the logistics out of their headache (it'll be retailers headache)

Last edited:
Reactions: snc
Allowing Sony to manufacture the USB drive on a different part of the world for cheaper, while keeping the logistics out of their headache (it'll be retailers headache)

Sony still has logistics to deal with on the manufacturing, testing, packaging, storing, and shipping of this new Optical Drive peripheral unit. You can't get ride of any of that.

Sony still has logistics to deal with on the manufacturing, testing, packaging, storing, and shipping of this new Optical Drive peripheral unit. You can't get ride of any of that.
Yeah but at least they can simply manufacture them and ship them.

Without needing to make a production line for USB drive, PS5, and ps5+usb drive.

Just focus on manufacturing+shipping USB drive and PS5. And not be needed to ship the USB drive from factory on region X to PS5 on region Y then ship PS5+USB to region Z.

They can directly ships USB from region X to region Z, and ships PS5 from region Y to region Z

Yeah but at least they can simply manufacture them and ship them.

Without needing to make a production line for USB drive, PS5, and ps5+usb drive.

Just focus on manufacturing+shipping USB drive and PS5. And not be needed to ship the USB drive from factory on region X to PS5 on region Y then ship PS5+USB to region Z.

They can directly ships USB from region X to region Z, and ships PS5 from region Y to region Z
Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, trying to juggle those 3 is unnecessary.

Yeah I remember years ago, my Xbox 360 have DVD drive made in Indonesia, console made in China, and gray imported to Indonesia from Japan.

Too much juggling 🤣

Interesting that the report states that it will attach via USB C and also states "it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external". Wonder how they will achieve that.

Maybe that just means a more direct connection to the USB port/console instead of a cable. Something like how the original Xbox 360 hard drives attached?

hqdefault.jpg

Hopefully they will use longer lasting plastic than Microsoft.

My x360 hdd dock/frame/seating plastics crumbles by itself when I touched it

It's the way to go and I'm still surprised Sony didn't do that at the start of the generation to streamline their costs.

Just make a single diskless SKU of the PS5 then offer the drive as an addon for anyone that still thinks they want to use physical media.

Hell, Sony used to make PCs in the 80's and early 90's that featured expansion bays where you can slot in your choice of HDD, FDD, graphics card in the form of a "cartridge" or whatever. They weren't plug and play in that you had to turn the PC off to change addons, but it was dead simple to just pull out the old one and slot in the new one without ever having to open the case. Even a child could change the PC configuration easily.

Just do the same with the PS5.

Regards,
SB

Agree with you on digital/sku options. To be clearer, just thought it was odd in context of the existing PS5 hardware design. The disc drive is already slapped on in a way that looks quite cheap to do. I assume a fully external drive means it can go cheaper still, especially as the 'slim' version shrinks the case.

I wouldn't be surprise to see them ditch the removable covers on a future design too. That seems like a needless expense.

Yes on the already existing ps5. I am sure on future slim ps5s they will want to maximize the size savings. It may not be easy to shove a large blu-ray drive into the design or would look terrible.

You also have the other equation. If you go through and remove all costs associated with the blu-ray drive being internal. the new mobo doesn't need to have a sata connector nor the traces to it , that removes physical space also. Bluray playback costs alsoTake all that into account with shipping too. How many more ps5 slims could ship in the space without a disc drive vs one with? Remember even pennies add up when you are producing tens of millions of console.

You can put out a disc drive add on and charge more for it than perhaps being integrated. it also creates an upsell. Someone with a ps5 non slim digital can also buy the drive.

Also at the end of the day bluray really isn't changing. So sony can put this out and then just produce it until demand drops and with ps6 there may just not be any physical disc releases anymore.

FYI I also think MS will refresh the series x without a disc drive to make a slim. The series s is doing pretty well so I can see them moving in that direction.

In the last month, Sony has begun the rollout of their latest revision of the PlayStation 5, model CFI-1202. There has already been a teardown showing the model's redesigned board and cooling that is smaller and lighter. Power consumption is also reduced while giving the similar performance. To accomplish this, AMD's Semi-Custom design teams have ported the PS5 silicon to TSMC N6, codename Oberon Plus. Angstronomics reveals exclusive images of the new, smaller die, and we discuss the how and the why behind this update.

bbff7131-c1f6-4726-8185-f68915b104f2_1440x720.jpg

And while one can make near 50% more PS5 chips per wafer than Xbox Series X chips, the latter will also get its 6nm update of Arden in the future.

Xsx chips are larger than PS5 chips?
And what's Arden, xsx 6nm chip codename?

To anyone that have PS5 and XS, does dualsense audio jack sounds better than Xbox?

Wireless x wireless, and wired x wired?

I thought that was the intention basically with the launch model. Looks like you should be able to add an optical drive to the Digital by attaching it on top of the internals and replacing the cover with the bumpy-slot version. Then manufacturing is just one SKU, with the option to add a drive and cover.

Back