Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I see negativity in the ign/fb comments sections, mainly blaming this guy for supporting Mark Cerny's weird ideas for the PS5. Well, its not Ito's fault to say the least.
Whats so weird about PS5? If it's just fanboyish ignorant talk his "weird ideas" are as good non existing.
Marc Cerny helped the Playstation return back to what made the original PS1 such a success with both the PS4 and the PS5. So why even bring such pointless remark?

Whats so weird about PS5? If it's just fanboyish ignorant talk his "weird ideas" are as good non existing.
Marc Cerny helped the Playstation return back to what made the original PS1 such a success with both the PS4 and the PS5. So why even bring such pointless remark?

I fail to see why the personal attack. There is alot of negative comments over at the linked IGN article, aswell on various facebook articles shared around this. Ask them, not me.
The PS2 was a rather huge success without Him though.

Why the personal attacking? calling people for fanboys (unsure if that was to me or those over at IGN) was your best reaction because someone else wouldnt agree with your ideas that the PS5 is a great box, for example?
Even if it hurts, keep it to the hardware/software/brandname, not users themselfs.

I fail to see why the personal attack. There is alot of negative comments over at the linked IGN article, aswell on various facebook articles shared around this. Ask them, not me.
The PS2 was a rather huge success without Him though.

Why the personal attacking? calling people for fanboys (unsure if that was to me or those over at IGN) was your best reaction because someone else wouldnt agree with your ideas that the PS5 is a great box, for example?
Even if it hurts, keep it to the hardware/software/brandname, not users themselfs.
There is no personal attack. If there is some validity and worth discussing then bring the points here. If there is nothing to talk and its just baseless gibberish what is even the point? You brought the subject and you were asked but you are like "nah ah, ask them".

Well, Austin Evans did it again :runaway:

• heatsink is further cut down, though not as much as rev. 1000 to 1100 change, also bigger heatsink and an additional heat pipe on the other side of the assembly
  • changes to the plastic mold, shielding, and shorter PCB of the motherboard
  • CMOS battery can't be replaced now without taking out the heatsink
  • for power consumption, he measured 201W for the 1200 model compared to 218W of 1000 model and 229W of 1100 model
  • thermals at the exhaust supposedly more spread out along the entire height of the exhaust, not just one hot spot, he measured 52.5 C for 1200 versus 52.4 C for 1000 and 63 C for 1100

Last edited:
I find it quite strange that the first revision has higher temperatures and consumes more energy than the launch model

I find it quite strange that the first revision has higher temperatures and consumes more energy than the launch model
Yeah, I don't get his first revision data either, I can understand a slight temp increase, as Sony did slim down the heatsink while retaining the same process node (Gamers Nexus noted a 5 degree temp increase from ~66 to 71, which is within spec), but why on earth would a first revision PS5 draw 10 watts more from the wall with both using the 7nm node?

• for power consumption, he measured 201W for the 1200 model compared to 218W of 1000 model and 229W of 1100 model

More than likely this is just down to silicon and electrical variance of components that naturally occurs. You often see even greater variance that that in power consumption with PC GPUs between boards of the exact same make and model.

Regards,
SB

More than likely this is just down to silicon and electrical variance of components that naturally occurs. You often see even greater variance that that in power consumption with PC GPUs between boards of the exact same make and model.

Regards,
SB
Right, forgot about the silicon and component lottery. Well, I guess that also explains why some PS5s whine more than others, both coil lottery and silicon lottery can contribute. ;) Add fan lottery and you're really taking a gamble with your PS5. 🎲 ;)

Still waiting for that coil whine anecdotal evidence for the latest model. :yes:

Right, forgot about the silicon and component lottery. Well, I guess that also explains why some PS5s whine more than others, both coil lottery and silicon lottery can contribute. ;) Add fan lottery and you're really taking a gamble with your PS5. 🎲 ;)

Still waiting for that coil whine anecdotal evidence for the latest model. :yes:

Well, that pretty much applies to most electronics. At least with the PS5 you know that Sony does the best it can WRT the build quality. It's why customer reviews are so important on things. You can kind of get a feel for whether it's a large gamble (low ratio of 5 star to 1 star reviews) or a small gamble (high ratio of 5 star to 1 star reviews).

Regards,
SB

At least with the PS5 you know that Sony does the best it can WRT the build quality

they need to tighten their quality standard. AFAIK, the complains for fan noise and coil whine on Xbox Series X/S are much much rarer.

knowing my luck, if i buy PS5 now, i will get the one with both noisy fan AND coil whine. alhough if PSVR2 is released, i will still buy PS5, fan noise and coil whine be damned

Sounds great but I wonder why they are covering the cmos battery with the heatsink. Seems pretty short sighted.

With the PS2 Sony had it on the underside of the mainboard, facing the bottom. Thing wouldnt boot if the cmos battery was dead and the time/date reset.

its sony, its obviously to make you contact their service departement in ~10 years.

other companies thinks quarter by quarter, sony thinks long term.

wasn't it also an issue on the ps4 ?
Prior to firmware 9.0 games would crash if the PS4's CMOS battery was defective or dead and no connection with PSN could be established, even physical games suffered from this. As the system had no internal time to use for DRM, Trophies and other features. With firmware 9.0.0 they changed to always use 01-01-1970 as a fallback when the CMOS is unresponsive and there's no connection with PSN to sync the time with.

To my knowledge this same issue still exists with the PS3, where the console will refuse to play digital games but will still play physical games, and has yet to be patched for that system.

The PS5 launched with the same issue but it should've been patched last year.

My US account got invited by Sony again to buy PS5 and there's this gem in the email

• If the URL is accessed before the start time, or the link is accessed on multiple devices, you may be locked out of the order system.

ROFL. So we need to race to buy the console at the specific time, hoping we typed fast enough to still get in the quota?

Back