Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It's July of 2022, and where is my PS5? :D

Apparently, they're rather hard to obtain. My sister had to wait in line for one. But she got one, eventually. But I will need one for games coming out next year.

hopefully there will be a new major ps5 revision next year, so they can push more productions.

My bad. Was showing #1 in PlayStation category not overall. I never see the ps5 in stock. I feel pretty fortunate to get one on launch.

I’m feeling pretty tempted to get a series x, but I just topped up for 2 years of ps plus premium
Without a doubt super high demand for PS5. But stocking continues to be a problem for it. Hopefully it will resolve soon

Very weird bug

That seems very odd, are we sure the bug isn't with Sony Displays instead of the PS5 since the issues persist even after switching inputs to a different video source like a PC?

Additionally, once the flicker occurs, the flicker will continue even if the player changes the video input to the Windows PC’s DisplayPort (VRR sync off). The flickering period depends on the screen refresh rate, and may also cause burn-in, which is the afterimage of the previous image on the screen.

That seems very odd, are we sure the bug isn't with Sony Displays instead of the PS5 since the issues persist even after switching inputs to a different video source like a PC?
Maybe there's something non standard in ways Sony displays work and PS5 vrr works. Combined, kaboom.

Anyway I just realized that I am cursed indeed. Not only bugs casually approached me, now google recommend me news about bugs on Chrome home page ROFL. dear Google, I don't like bugs. Stop bugging me with bugs

Very weird bug

And the original Japanese article...

The article implies that it's not just Sony displays. Translated to English from the Japanese article:

Unfortunately, the same symptoms occurred with the SONY genuine gaming monitor INZONE M9.

So it also happens on the Sony monitor and not just on other manufacturer's displays.

The source article also has videos of the issue as well as steps to try reproducing the issue if someone wanted to try potentially damaging their display. :p

I'd initially have said it was the PS5 doing something incorrectly with VRR, but it also continues to happen once you switch it to PC (they also have a video of it doing it on a PC after switching). This makes me wonder if the PS5 is actually attempting to change things on the display instead of just passing a VRR signal to the display. IE - attempting to change settings in the display or even overwrite the EDID information and that some displays don't like that.

I wouldn't characterize this as burn-in per se. But whatever it is could potentially be a bit concerning if the "flashing" and "flickering" doesn't go away and persists for a long period of time.

I've never seen anything like this before.

Regards,
SB

Our psychosis ward ordered PS4 sometime last year to replace broken one, but they delivered PS5 (Disc version) instead. And getting PS5's isn't easy in Finland atm.

Back