Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I wonder if games that render at 1440p will simply push that out natively. Most games have a solution to upsample to 4K, so how is that going to work? Surely they wouldn't upscale to 4k only to then downsample again to 1440p? No bueno.

Good news is that this makes the new Alienware QD-OLED monitor a viable option for the PS5, maybe? That's very interesting, the other half has been waiting for a good monitor for ages.

Oh jesus: "Please note: VRR on PS5 supports 1080p and 4K video output but not 1440p."

COME ON SONY!

Last edited:
PS5's have been available locally, i think the first time since launch. Out of stock already though, they couldnt have had many.

COME ON SONY!

Not particularry Sony on this one, but advertising 8k and 120fps when 1440p and below at half or less those framerates are the bomb this generation (natively).

I wonder if games that render at 1440p will simply push that out natively. Most games have a solution to upsample to 4K, so how is that going to work? Surely they wouldn't upscale to 4k only to then downsample again to 1440p? No bueno.

Good news is that this makes the new Alienware QD-OLED monitor a viable option for the PS5, maybe? That's very interesting, the other half has been waiting for a good monitor for ages.

Oh jesus: "Please note: VRR on PS5 supports 1080p and 4K video output but not 1440p."

COME ON SONY!
Yes, 1440p games output native res. From the release notes:

1440p HDMI Video Output
  • The PS5 beta introduces support for 1440p HDMI video output, enabling players to choose an additional visual setting on compatible PC monitors and TVs.**
  • If the game you’re playing supports 1440p rendering you can experience native 1440p output on your display.
  • Or, if you’re playing a game with a higher native resolution like 4K, then you may benefit from improved anti-aliasing through supersampling down to 1440p output.

What?! 😲 Why??! 🤨

What?!!?! 😲 Why??!??!?! :???:
:runaway::eek:

Microsoft didn't provide a reasoning. But they've been doing that since Xbox one x|s. And keep doing that in Xbox series x|s.

As for Sony, probably because their programmers are not competent enough and/or didn't have enough time to smooth out the bugs? Assuming they tested 1440p vrr and got even worse issue than the PS5 VRR image retention issue

Microsoft didn't provide a reasoning. But they've been doing that since Xbox one x|s. And keep doing that in Xbox series x|s.

I think that may be a limitation of the HDMI technical specs. If you can find something stating that HDR is available via HDMI at output other than 4K or higher signaling specifications then please share it. The PC Desktop arena usually uses DisplayPort which allows for HDR at other resolutions.

EDIT: Seems like it is technically possible but might not be supported in practice by the display sets --
HDMI 2.0 has a Data Rate of ~14.4Gbit/s, so it can do up to 144Hz 1080p 10bit(HDR) or 100Hz 1440p 10bit(HDR); it is possible to do 120Hz 1440p with 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 chroma subsampling.

New Playstation mobile accessory to allow for Remote Play but not allow for PlayStation Plus Premium streaming (thanks Apple!)

The website they link to and the places that page links to does not specify if it includes Haptics/Blowing functionality.

I think that may be a limitation of the HDMI technical specs. If you can find something stating that HDR is available via HDMI at output other than 4K or higher signaling specifications then please share it. The PC Desktop arena usually uses DisplayPort which allows for HDR at other resolutions.

EDIT: Seems like it is technically possible but might not be supported in practice by the display sets --

PS4/PS4 pro (and I assume PS5), and pc are able to do HDR at resolutions that are not 4K via HDMI just fine.

To be honest I thought sony will never add 1440p support as they are not producing monitors so nice surprise

PS4/PS4 pro (and I assume PS5), and pc are able to do HDR at resolutions that are not 4K via HDMI just fine.
Indeed. Odd argument considering we had 1080p HDR last gen. Best I can see with Investigating is that there aren't HDR 1080p TVs in the US so MS focussed on the home market and ignored what's happening in the rest of the world where 1080p HDR is available. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Almost 80% games on ps4/5 sales digitally
sony.large.jpg

Back