Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The games are cross-gen. I wouldn't say having 136+ million hardware base as fitting the hardware supply shortages scenario [PS4 + PS5].
users of old consoles rarely buy new games in 8th or 9th years of it existance and thats normal (same story with ps4 and ps3 metal gear solid 5 and we see same situation now when gt7 ps5 outsale by quite margin ps4 version)

The PS5 is coming in at a higher price than the PS4 did, in a time where economics are more constrained. This time around they actually have some competition from Microsoft whereas last time they didnt as much as now.
PS5 Digital technically launched at $400, the same as PS4 and $100 less than XSX, in an era that’s increasingly digital. One could argue about its availibility vs. the $500 Disc version and what use MSRP has in today’s market. Current chip shortages have undercut typical competition arguments in that demand has outstripped supply for so long. I mean, Nintendo just launched a new Switch model for $400.

PS5 is a larger, more energy hungry console, the games have gotten more expensive. Also, cross-generation, people on PS4's have less reason to upgrade…
Electricity costs plus inflation may make a new console less broadly attractive, but backwards compatibility makes upgrading to a PS5 as sensible as upgrading a GPU to some.

I think you have a slightly pessimistic take on the appeal of upgrading a console in the weird current market.

PS5 Digital technically launched at $400, the same as PS4 and $100 less than XSX, in an era that’s increasingly digital. One could argue about its availibility vs. the $500 Disc version and what use MSRP has in today’s market. Current chip shortages have undercut typical competition arguments in that demand has outstripped supply for so long. I mean, Nintendo just launched a new Switch model for $400.

It's all technically. The PS5 still cant practically be gotten for less than 800usd (down from 1200) here and probably most parts of the world. The PS4 did come with a disc-drive though, if you want the same configuration and if msrp did actually exist in any meaningfull form, you're paying more then what you did for the PS4. Not looking at inflated prices, chip shortages, scalpers and all, mrsp is actually higher now. 'Forcing' everyone to go disc-less in a market segment who still largely still uses the media isn't pro-consumer to say the least if that's whats being implied. Games have seen a price hike too, not to forget subscribtion services.
It is my conclusion that (console) gaming has gotten more expensive.

The PS5 Digital is undercutting the XSX by $100, though the XSX is including the blu-ray drive and thus competing with the PS5 disc edition.

Electricity costs plus inflation may make a new console less broadly attractive, but backwards compatibility makes upgrading to a PS5 as sensible as upgrading a GPU to some.

And that's the thing, most PS4 games aren't really getting the enhancement a GPU would give to its back catalog of games though.

I think you have a slightly pessimistic take on the appeal of upgrading a console in the weird current market.

Maybe. I am countering the ones being pessimistic with a GPU upgrade with my views on their platforms. Gaming has gotten more expensive this generation across all platforms. Though Gamepass sure has started a new trend on the software side, the XSS is a very affordable little machine aswell for those on a budget, together with gamepass one of the best value per dollar perhaps. And before anyone panicks, yes the gpu/PC is the most expensive, its a different market alltogether.

I wonder which ones will be released first. PS5 pro? PS5 slim? Still PS5 fat but with simpler motherboard/components with much cheaper production cost?

There's already been adjustments on PS5 for cheaper production costs. The teardown shows revisions on the heatsink component.

I imagine something more substantial, like Xbox 360 Corona revision. Where chips were removed (merged).

I imagine something more substantial, like Xbox 360 Corona revision. Where chips were removed (merged).
Judging from the PS4 revision history, the next revision for the PS5 should hit mid-summer. They say it will sport a revised SOC in the 6nm litography, which supposedly draws up to 15% less power. PS5 slim and (potential) pro are probably December 2023 at the earliest?

I wonder if 6nm will make coil whine less pronounced. I won the fan lottery in my unit (got the revised NMB fan with 18 blades, which apparently is the best one you can get :runaway:), but coil whine is kind of annoying when you could have a dead-silent console without it, and you can't fix it like you can replace the fan :???: (well, I got used to it over time, it's not super-loud as in some Youtube videos, just put on headphones, or turn up the TV volume a bit and you're fine... unless it's Genshin Impact, strangely this one makes the console really sing :rolleyes:).

...but coil whine is kind of annoying when you could have a dead-silent console without it, and you can't fix it like you can replace the fan ...

If you can find the component creating the coil whine you can potentially judiciously use hot glue to mitigate it such that it becomes inaudible. That's how many electronics manufacturer's address coil whine due to quality control of the components (cheaper components are more prone to this issue) that they use. This is pretty commonplace in PSUs for example.

However, depending on the component causing the whine (open coil versus say an enclosed coil), this would have varying degrees of success. Here's a page that goes into why it's happening and potential ways to fix it. Many of them either aren't applicable to consoles (changing the framerate that a game is rendering at, changing the clock speed of the device, etc.). Some might be possible, like changing the fan speed to make the console and the affected component run either hotter or cooler.

What is Coil Whine & How to Fix it – Clever Creations

I've had some success using hot glue with PSU's that I've gotten where the coil whine was obnoxious (to me) and the offending component was an open coil (more frequently found in PSUs or the power unit within an electronic device like a home theater amplifier). It'll be less effective or even completely ineffective with enclosed coils (like what is usually found on say a PC motherboard) as they are enclosed in the first place to mitigate the effects of coil whine. So if the enclosure (of an enclosed coil) being used is defective and the coil still whines (vibrates with an audible frequency) then securing the enclosure further will have limited impact, although it could still lessen the whine somewhat or even change the audible frequency (hopefully to a more bearable one).

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
What is Coil Whine & How to Fix it – Clever Creations

I've had some success using hot glue with PSU's that I've gotten where the coil whine was obnoxious (to me) and the offending component was an open coil (more frequently found in PSUs or the power unit within an electronic device like a home theater amplifier). It'll be less effective or even completely ineffective with enclosed coils (like what is usually found on say a PC motherboard) as they are enclosed in the first place to mitigate the effects of coil whine. So if the enclosure (of an enclosed coil) being used is defective and the coil still whines (vibrates with an audible frequency) then securing the enclosure further will have limited impact, although it could still lessen the whine somewhat or even change the audible frequency (hopefully to a more bearable one).

That's interesting, thanks. I remember watching some Youtube video made by a repair shop where they tried to fix the coil whine per a customer's request. They tried applying some "liquid tape" inside the PSU but it proved ineffective and they ended up concluding that the main source of whine was the motherboard.

It's funny that the first device that introduced me to coil whine was the PS5. I'm not even sure whether my RTX 2070 has it, it being in a thick PC case under the desk and fan noise might mask it enough, I guess ;). Sony's novel hardware choices in relation to the console paradigm (making a narrow and really high-clocked design) made it really the worst-case scenario when it comes to introducing coil whine by drawing high power and it's clearly not their top concern right now, as probably every PS5 has coil whine to some extent, but varying in intensity, like in my friend's case - he got the worst fan, but has very minimal coil whine (maybe he got a better deal than me after all, as fan noise might be subjectively less annoying than coil whine buzz :LOL:).

I guess the solution apart from trying to live with it or mask the sound is trading for a slim when it arrives (or pro if it exists, but what if it too pushes the envelope on clocks :D?).

That's interesting, thanks. I remember watching some Youtube video made by a repair shop where they tried to fix the coil whine per a customer's request. They tried applying some "liquid tape" inside the PSU but it proved ineffective and they ended up concluding that the main source of whine was the motherboard.

It's funny that the first device that introduced me to coil whine was the PS5. I'm not even sure whether my RTX 2070 has it, it being in a thick PC case under the desk and fan noise might mask it enough, I guess ;). Sony's novel hardware choices in relation to the console paradigm (making a narrow and really high-clocked design) made it really the worst-case scenario when it comes to introducing coil whine by drawing high power and it's clearly not their top concern right now, as probably every PS5 has coil whine to some extent, but varying in intensity, like in my friend's case - he got the worst fan, but has very minimal coil whine (maybe he got a better deal than me after all, as fan noise might be subjectively less annoying than coil whine buzz :LOL:).

I guess the solution apart from trying to live with it or mask the sound is trading for a slim when it arrives (or pro if it exists, but what if it too pushes the envelope on clocks :D?).

Depending on where the TV is located, you could try putting it into another room or closet (if well ventilated). :p

Regards,
SB

Sony have graciously added an ALLM setting in the latest firmware - released yesterday in many territories. So anybody with a TV having the issue flagged by BRiT in this post, you have a solution.

The summary of the problem from HDTVTest was: "Some Sony PS5 owners have found that their TV settings are locked out or greyed out following the latest PS5 system update of 22.01-05. This is caused by an always-on ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode] signalling from the PS5, and so can only be disabled from the TV side - we demonstrate some workarounds in this video."

Last edited by a moderator:
It's July of 2022, and where is my PS5? :D

Apparently, they're rather hard to obtain. My sister had to wait in line for one. But she got one, eventually. But I will need one for games coming out next year.

Sony have graciously added an ALLM setting in the latest firmware - released yesterday in many territories. So anybody with a TV having the issue flagged by BRiT in this post, you have a solution.

The summary of the problem from HDTVTest was: "Some Sony PS5 owners have found that their TV settings are locked out or greyed out following the latest PS5 system update of 22.01-05. This is caused by an always-on ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode] signalling from the PS5, and so can only be disabled from the TV side - we demonstrate some workarounds in this video."
didnt check the video but since this is now a feature you can turn off from the cobsole settings, isnt it something that you can solve easilly?

Back