Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

While PS5 is a very desirable hardware (they can thank Cerny on that), on the other hand we are starting to see PS5 games (notably exclusives) are not wanted by gamers.

Maybe it has to do with the price and inevitable PC port strategy? Why I'd buy a game at 80€ when I know the game will inevitably release on PC at half the price for a better product? They can thank Playstation boss strategy for that. :yep2:

Also even if some PS5 games won't be released on PC, it doesn't change the fact that the general message is that all PS5 games will be released on PC. This is what they have being repeating lately and people believe it.

And yet real world evidence shows that this is not the case.

If your hypothesis were true then why is the console which has all console exclusives released on PC outselling it's previous generation console where almost all of its console releases were locked to the console? Talking about the Xbox Series consoles compared to the launch aligned Xbox One consoles. In the first couple years of the XBO consoles, Xbox games weren't released on the PC. FH3 and Gears 4 were roughly at the start of MS starting to release some of their games on PC and that wasn't until 2016.

Microsoft making all exclusives not only released on PC but day and date with their console launch as well impacted Xbox console and software sales in no appreciable manner. In fact Xbox has sold better AFTER all their titles were available day and date on PC as well as Xbox.

And that makes sense as there is very little overlap between console and PC gamers due to each ecosystem catering to totally different consumer demographics. So yes, while there is some overlap, it's pretty tiny and doesn't result in either console spending habits affecting PC spending habits or vice versa for the vast majority of the console or PC gamer demographics.

Is there any reason you believe it would be any different for PlayStation? I don't get the feeling that PlayStation owners hate the console so much that they are just waiting for a reason to stop using their PS5. Rather the contrary, I get the feeling that most PlayStation owners that do all or the majority of their gaming on PS5 like it.

Regards,
SB

I don't care much about PC gaming and i'm still happy with the PS5 future games even if they release on PC. If that means more money for first parties so more good games i'm all for it.
The only thing that would piss me off would be Sony releasing AAA games on PC and not PS5.

It's just cool that all platforms are doing so well. Thanks, Covid. I guess. ;)

So much competition too. Epic gives away an endless stream of great games. Sony wants PC. Microsoft gets rid of exclusives on Xbox. What will happen next. Nintendo ports? I'm not ready.

Last edited:
some PS5 owners, i assume will be like xbox owners. they like to play with their console. Also probably Most PS5 owners also wont be ever experienced nicer things from competitors like xbox quick resume, so they cant be disappointed of things they don't know.

as for sony AAA games coming to PC, most of the players probably are in different market. as in PC gamers that doesn't have PS5 and don't have a plan to buy a PS5. so they tap that market by releasing to PC.

maybe thats one of the reason why MS deleted xbox console exclusive for their games

It's just cool that all platforms are doing so well. Thanks, Covid. I guess. ;)

So much competition too. Epic gives away an endless stream of great games. Sony wants PC. Microsoft gets rid of exclusives on Xbox. What will happen next. Nintendo ports? I'm not ready.

you already kinda can get Nintendo ports via emulators. huh i wonder, if xbox series also have working Nintendo switch emulator. hmm... would be almost a real all in 1 console. just missing PS3, PS4, PS5.

Where do you base that on though?
Sales from games from different reports (notably in Japan) and the last Sony report on their own games sales. I believe a trend is starting to be seen now.

And yet real world evidence shows that this is not the case.

If your hypothesis were true then why is the console which has all console exclusives released on PC outselling it's previous generation console where almost all of its console releases were locked to the console? Talking about the Xbox Series consoles compared to the launch aligned Xbox One consoles. In the first couple years of the XBO consoles, Xbox games weren't released on the PC. FH3 and Gears 4 were roughly at the start of MS starting to release some of their games on PC and that wasn't until 2016.

Microsoft making all exclusives not only released on PC but day and date with their console launch as well impacted Xbox console and software sales in no appreciable manner. In fact Xbox has sold better AFTER all their titles were available day and date on PC as well as Xbox.

And that makes sense as there is very little overlap between console and PC gamers due to each ecosystem catering to totally different consumer demographics. So yes, while there is some overlap, it's pretty tiny and doesn't result in either console spending habits affecting PC spending habits or vice versa for the vast majority of the console or PC gamer demographics.

Is there any reason you believe it would be any different for PlayStation? I don't get the feeling that PlayStation owners hate the console so much that they are just waiting for a reason to stop using their PS5. Rather the contrary, I get the feeling that most PlayStation owners that do all or the majority of their gaming on PS5 like it.

Regards,
SB
I don't compared Sony strategy with MS, more like with Sony old successful strategy and sales. This is the mistake of jimbo era BTW. They want to copy MS strategy when MS strategy is for now to have more consumers. What might work for them and gamepass might not work for Sony. Inevitably at some point they'll say AAA strategy isn't working for them anymore (with a gamepass-like services strategy, duh) and they'll do what EA, Activition are doing now. Releasing underbaked yearly products :yep2:.

Last edited:
Are we sure this isnt a result of hardware supply shortages?

The games are cross-gen. I wouldn't say having 136+ million hardware base as fitting the hardware supply shortages scenario [PS4 + PS5].

The games are cross-gen. I wouldn't say having 136+ million hardware base as fitting the hardware supply shortages scenario [PS4 + PS5].
I think people got saturated with their current consoles. Software sales are always falling after saturation of the previous gen.

While PS5 is a very desirable hardware (they can thank Cerny on that), on the other hand we are starting to see PS5 games (notably exclusives) are not wanted by gamers.

Maybe it has to do with the price and inevitable PC port strategy? Why I'd buy a game at 80€ when I know the game will inevitably release on PC at half the price for a better product? They can thank Playstation boss strategy for that. :yep2:

Also even if some PS5 games won't be released on PC, it doesn't change the fact that the general message is that all PS5 games will be released on PC. This is what they have being repeating lately and people believe it.

I for one have no bought a PC game in ages. Actually the last was CP2077 but before that .. some old games on GOG. I don't buy games from EA, Activision, Bethesda and Ubisoft has also joined that list. I was never a fan of the game as a service model and microtransactions, nft's etc.

PS5 games, I have a load that I have bought. Demon's Souls, GT7, HFW, Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection(I had Uncharted 4 from PS Plus) but not the other, Death Stranding DC(never bought the original and still haven't played this almost 6 months later but still intend to), Sack Boy ABA. And most of those are all PS exclusives at this point in time. Most of these I obtained at cheaper price through the local game stores by buying the hardcopy than PS provides on the PS Store and via digital sales.

I don't have Rachett and Clank(I intend to buy digitally when it's cheaper) and the same for Returnal. Returnal is likely the only first party game I might not buy from PS because I am not a huge fan of tough Rogue like games but might get it later when it's cheaper.

I prefer PS's single player games that are proper finished products over anything GaaS. The price hike was a punch in the gut but I can afford the higher prices but will look for a better bargain of a hardcopy provided locally by game shops. I am looking forward to God of War Ragnarok.

Well I can see PS releasing games later on PC, waiting is not something I will wait on if I can play it when it's released. Next year, Spider-man 2 and Wolverine(likely the year after). Only recent game that I almost bought on PC but have not yet is Guardians of the Galaxy. I just don't play that much on PC anymore other than Dota2 or CSGO(which I haven't played in ages).

I play GT7 and one or two rounds of Dota almost daily. Restrained by work hours atm. So busy work wise. Finished HFW with 4 trophies to go for the Platinum. Also have about 5 trophies to go for my GT7 platinum.

Last edited:
I think people got saturated with their current consoles. Software sales are always falling after saturation of the previous gen.
Also last years and the previous year was higher because people were stuck at home due to Covid. Now they are going back to work. The software sales imo. for PS is actually amazing and has increased. Imo. shows just how good the console is that it's always sold out and sales of various game software increases when there is new stock available.

There is no doubt that the console would be outselling the PS4 if not for stock shortages.

I would think the release calendar for fall and winter is probably the best since the release of these current gen consoles.

But you can't buy the consoles so that could disappoint some developers and publishers' sales expectations. For instance, I wonder how sales of Horizon Forbidden West have been.

In any event, Sony said shortages will continue into 2023. Maybe if they had plans for a HW revision or even a PS5 Pro, those are going to be delayed now.

I for one have no bought a PC game in ages. Actually the last was CP2077 but before that .. some old games on GOG. I don't buy games from EA, Activision, Bethesda and Ubisoft has also joined that list. I was never a fan of the game as a service model and microtransactions, nft's etc.

PS5 games, I have a load that I have bought. Demon's Souls, GT7, HFW, Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection(I had Uncharted 4 from PS Plus) but not the other, Death Stranding DC(never bought the original and still haven't played this almost 6 months later but still intend to), Sack Boy ABA. And most of those are all PS exclusives at this point in time. Most of these I obtained at cheaper price through the local game stores by buying the hardcopy than PS provides on the PS Store and via digital sales.

I don't have Rachett and Clank(I intend to buy digitally when it's cheaper) and the same for Returnal. Returnal is likely the only first party game I might not buy from PS because I am not a huge fan of tough Rogue like games but might get it later when it's cheaper.

I prefer PS's single player games that are proper finished products over anything GaaS. The price hike was a punch in the gut but I can afford the higher prices but will look for a better bargain of a hardcopy provided locally by game shops. I am looking forward to God of War Ragnarok.

Well I can see PS releasing games later on PC, waiting is not something I will wait on if I can play it when it's released. Next year, Spider-man 2 and Wolverine(likely the year after). Only recent game that I almost bought on PC but have not yet is Guardians of the Galaxy. I just don't play that much on PC anymore other than Dota2 or CSGO(which I haven't played in ages).

I play GT7 and one or two rounds of Dota almost daily. Restrained by work hours atm. So busy work wise. Finished HFW with 4 trophies to go for the Platinum. Also have about 5 trophies to go for my GT7 platinum.

Amaziang to see there are still people like you ;)

For instance, I wonder how sales of Horizon Forbidden West have been.

Sony hasn't given any numbers on HFW and hasn't provided updated numbers on other titles, so many are taking that to mean it didn't hit their projected targets or even PR friendly milestones.

What do you guys think of the replaceable PS5 side plates? I scratched the middle glossy part of the PS5 awhile back and have been thinking of getting a skin for that and also found this plate accessorizing thing going on. Some are even vented which seems questionable because it will change the airflow throughout the machine I think and I'm not even sure I've heard the fan ramp up in a game yet anyway so what's the point. I have been thinking an all black PS5 would be cool to do though.

What do you guys think of the replaceable PS5 side plates? I scratched the middle glossy part of the PS5 awhile back and have been thinking of getting a skin for that and also found this plate accessorizing thing going on. Some are even vented which seems questionable because it will change the airflow throughout the machine I think. I have been thinking an all black PS5 would be cool to do though.

The problem is price, for a kit it is over 80usd here. It's in the price range of a quite-nice ATX gaming tower with fans, filters and everything included. These two faceplates are cheaper-plastic and you pay as much for just that. That is if you buy the official ones. I havent checked but you might be able to find them from some china-site maybe.
If it wherent for the prices i'd be looking to get my PS5 all-black (but then the controllers wont match but ok).

Again PS4 version of the game never reach the same number than PS5 version and PS5 stock is low.

Back