Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

taking into account ps4 base, how many people want to buy new consoles on covid lockdown and strong lineup we could see ps2 numbers if there was enough units

taking into account ps4 base, how many people want to buy new consoles on covid lockdown and strong lineup we could see ps2 numbers if there was enough units
I'd tend to agree with that. Unfortunately you can't buy what's not available. The PS5 was stronger than PS4 out of the gates, so we can only go by that and the global socio-economic situation at present.

If scalpers have been able to sell that much consoles at those unreal prices, one can guess that it would have sold a lot more if available.

Price may be the only deciding factor I could think of as being a limiter to succeeding over PS4. Some weaker reasons: Xbox also offers a lower entry to gaming.
MS handed the keys to Sony last gen. But this gen is turning out better for them. I’m not sure if sustained sales would have passed PS4 as it trails into year 2. It’s a larger box, and costs more. Games moving to PC. And lower cost services on competitors line.

There is reasonable probability that PS4 could hold the crown even without shortages. Sometimes a shortage drives people into purchasing frenzy which is why scalpers profited well but that doesn’t necessarily translate to more unit sales. Price after a shortage just comes down to how much someone is willing to pay.

To be fair: Xbox for instance has shortages and they swiftly passed Xbox one generation and now 360 generation.

But I’m not sure if that showcases how poorly Xbox did last gen.

Last edited:
To be fair: Xbox for instance has shortages and they swiftly passed Xbox one generation and now 360 generation.

But I’m not sure if that showcases how poorly Xbox did last gen.
Well it helps both that the Series X is a better product than what One was and also the fact that supply is similar for both. People will get their hands on what they can if one is unavailable.

For the reasons Iroboto has given, that's why i question those who think the PS5 would have sold more units than the PS4 (or PS2).
The PS5 is coming in at a higher price than the PS4 did, in a time where economics are more constrained. This time around they actually have some competition from Microsoft whereas last time they didnt as much as now.
PS5 is a larger, more energy hungry console, the games have gotten more expensive. Also, cross-generation, people on PS4's have less reason to upgrade, they sure wont/didnt have to for the next Spiderman, next GoW, Gran Turismo 7, the next horizon (forbidden west) etc. There arent that many exclusives where you need a PS5 to play them. Not to forget that for example Forbidden West runs quite well on the PS4/Pro, in special if youre on a 1080p screen still, which many do even today. Selling points 'faster loading and haptics' meh.
Slap on that the hardware leap is smaller then ever in fidelity ie, what we see on screen, and the fact that playstation games are going PC.

I personally doubt the PS5 would eclipse the PS4's sales. Anyway we will never know, this generation of PS aint the PS4's success for sure, it is going to be too late for that, were going to be half way when things get better in the supply problems. Xbox is doing very well btw, they have true presense here in Sweden atleast, last gen Xbox didnt even get mentioned.

Its because its Playstation :yep2:

Grow up.

We will never know. Probably not ps4-levels though.

Well, yes, PS5 would have continued to sell better than PS4. Until supply could no longer be ramped up as it was for the PS4, the PS5 was handily outselling the PS4 when launch aligned. Unless you can provide some kind of evidence that sales would have drastically declined, there's no reason to believe that PS5 would not have continued to sell better than PS4 if Sony could make enough of them.

Evidence of continuing high demand is that scalpers are still selling the PS5 for around 800 USD and up in the US while the Xbox Series X is going for between 600-750 USD (still in high demand) in the US. Also, anytime there's a large shipment of the PS5 it instantly catapults to the top of the sales chart showing that demand hasn't died down in the slightest.

It's good, IMO, that both PlayStation and Xbox are doing well this generation. It's unfortunate for both Sony and MS that global supply of components needed to make the consoles are in such relatively short supply.

Regards,
SB

That twitter post is for the UK. Anyway, we dont know for the entire generation do we? I am not talking about the first week, but the entire generation. It is indeed unfortunate that the consoles arent doing well due to global supply issues though.

I don't know who is buying an Xbox Series X in the US from scalpers as its been available directly from Microsoft's website for a few months now. It was also on Walmart, Sam's Club for nearly 2 months too and also on GameStop, Target and Best Buy on and off without any required bundles. Most of those places have it as AllAccess bundles.

I don't know who is buying an Xbox Series X in the US from scalpers as its been available directly from Microsoft's website for a few months now. It was also on Walmart, Sam's Club for nearly 2 months too and also on GameStop, Target and Best Buy on and off without any required bundles. Most of those places have it as AllAccess bundles.

I'd guess people that don't know better and automatically go to Amazon or Ebay, the two places I checked. Ebay has a nice feature where you can see the recent sales history. Looks like the Halo: Infinite Limited Edition console is that one getting the big dollars at about 850 - 900 USD each. Amazingly a bunch of the standard ones (without an extra controller like some that are that high) have sold for 550 - 620 USD in the past 24 hours! And some of those are with shipping fees in excess of 30 USD! Yeesh.

Regards,
SB

I don't know who is buying an Xbox Series X in the US from scalpers as its been available directly from Microsoft's website for a few months now.

It's also easily available in the UK, as are all of the accessories. I can see from stockinformer it's available online everywhere, and the having checked stock of local stores using the 'is this available to reserve and pickup today' features shows they all have stock. Maybe there are occasional blips in some places, but Series X is readily obtainable for anybody who wants one in the UK.

The stock of PS5 and Series X is is perplexing. I.e. GamesIndustry.biz (who are reliable) published this article yesterday stating PS5 was the best selling machine in the UK in April, due a a slight bump in stock, and Xbox was down due to limited stock.

StockInformer's history doesn't show significant stock problems for Series X in the UK so that's a bit of a head scratcher. It could be there were stock shortages in other key UK outlets that stockinformer does not track, but the Series X has been available with the big UK retailers, e.g. Amazon, Currys. Argos and the usual online places - Microsoft Store, Very, ShopTo etc. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
While PS5 is a very desirable hardware (they can thank Cerny on that), on the other hand we are starting to see PS5 games (notably exclusives) are not wanted by gamers.

Maybe it has to do with the price and inevitable PC port strategy? Why I'd buy a game at 80€ when I know the game will inevitably release on PC at half the price for a better product? They can thank Playstation boss strategy for that. :yep2:

Also even if some PS5 games won't be released on PC, it doesn't change the fact that the general message is that all PS5 games will be released on PC. This is what they have being repeating lately and people believe it.

Back