Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

It's just a cost reduction. PS2 and PS3 had like 20 revisions.
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Motherboard_Revisions
https://playstationdev.wiki/ps2devwiki/index.php?title=Motherboards
media-1080064-sony1306-pg-6.gif
PS2 had some of the most amazing cost reductions ever.
It became the size of a DVD case in its FINAL FORM!

The PS3 and PS4 barely got anything that can be called slim. And they were/are sold at considerably high price compared to older generations

PS2 had some of the most amazing cost reductions ever.
It became the size of a DVD case in its FINAL FORM!

The PS3 and PS4 barely got anything that can be called slim. And they were/are sold at considerably high price compared to older generations
The 90000 series is tiny. It's physically the same size as the normal slim but has an internal power supply. If Sony had used an external power supply they could have made that thing the size of a portable CD player.

Last edited:
And Seagate announced their first SSD for PS5.

Its not designed for the PS5, its compatible with it. Anyway nice drive, 7300mb/s before any direct storage/RTX IO compression happens.
Ofcourse you'd need W11/Direct Storage etc to go along with nvme solutions like this to match and exceed PS5 ssd performance.

Internel SSD upgrades available for PS5 firmware beta tester.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

And Seagate announced their first SSD for PS5.
https://www.seagate.com/products/gaming-drives/pc-gaming/firecuda-530-ssd/
Better super late than never.

Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended
(...)
Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s.

So they reduced the speed spec? Are there any SSDs with sequential read speeds above 5500MB/s but lower than 7000MB/s?

It also looks like Sony won't whitelist, they'll just enable support for everything.
Great news for those who already have a M.2 SSD and are willing to put only the PS4 games in it, for example.

Better super late than never.

So they reduced the speed spec? Are there any SSDs with sequential read speeds above 5500MB/s but lower than 7000MB/s?

It also looks like Sony won't whitelist, they'll just enable support for everything.
Great news for those who already have a M.2 SSD and are willing to put only the PS4 games in it, for example.
I am confused by this. If SSD's that are less performant compared to the PS5 standard are supported, then it begs the question what's going to happen to projects that are supposed to take fully advantage of the PS5's capabilities

Sounds like they're leaving it up to the user to figure out if they're happy enough with the performance they're getting out of their added expansion nvme.

I am confused by this. If SSD's that are less performant compared to the PS5 standard are supported, then it begs the question what's going to happen to projects that are supposed to take fully advantage of the PS5's capabilities

Do it at your own risks. I also find this very odd. Why not simply ask for 7000MB/s min read (like Cerny first said) in order to have a much better compatibility?
  • SIE cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.

Price. They needed the optics of the $100-$200 price would give. Ask for 7000MB/s standard & you run the risk of only supporting $200-$700 SSDs.

Plus, the majority of the PS5 games available right now might not need such an expensive drive.

Sounds like a lot of compromises to meet their deadline of providing budget friendly storage by summer.

If I were them I would be selling officially branded drives so the user doesn't need to worry if it will work or not. But this is Sony & from their previous choices I'm not sure that will ever happen.

Tommy McClain

Last edited by a moderator:
They said the custom firmware of PS5 is more performant than standard NVME and you need faster SSD to reach the same performance. For being ok, the best is to take a 7 GB/s SSD like the Seagate one.

Sony only recommends that the SSD be just as fast as the internal PS5 SSD for sequential reads.

The faster the better but even then Sony won't guarantee that all games will work off an added SSD regardless of speed.

Last edited:
The faster the better but even then Sony won't guarantee that all games will work off an added SSD regardless of speed.

From their wording it seems they'll all work, but I guess in some games like Ratchet & Clank you might notice some stuttering when e.g. changing scenarios if the M.2 NVMe is slower than the PS5's internal drive.

From their wording it seems they'll all work, but I guess in some games like Ratchet & Clank you might notice some stuttering when e.g. changing scenarios if the M.2 NVMe is slower than the PS5's internal drive.

This is a direct quote from Sony website:

SIE cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.

Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s.

So its whatever way u want to interpret.

Back