Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release Holiday 2020]

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BRiT, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I am watching the presentation now and there a re a few things that make me wonder if the PS5 indeed provides significant advantages with some decisions.

In the past RAM loaded information that is not visible or experienced by the player. This time around memory may have only doubled, but the SSD speeds means that what is loaded is exactly what's in front of the player, seeing and experiencing. The SSD can serve as both a super fast scratch disk but also as a way to optimize fully the use of RAM. This is where these custom controllers and chips are probably assisting this. The positive thing is that the developer need not worry about these chips. So assuming the ultra best case scenario where 16GB are fully used thanks to those SSD speeds just for the sake of the argument, that will be 16GB of information in front of the player, not data waiting to be accessed. Thats a lot more information at every frame that could have been accessed if we were still stack with slow drive speeds. So its like having more than 16GB of RAM in actual results compared to what we could have in the past.

Thats a super big deal.

Is the difference in speeds between Series X and PS5 enough to provide a tangible advantage? Based on Cerny's description it probably compensates for the lower bandwidth in memory

The other good thing is that he expects developers to gain familiarity with the hardware in less than a month. Thats below PS4 and PS1 levels. Which may probably eliminate concerns where the developer may have to fiddle with frequency speeds and such....hopefully...

The other thing that makes me wonder is that, he says its easier to fill 36 CUs in parallel with useful work than fill 48 CUs , so I wonder if this was a good choice along with higher clocks than going higher CU count.

It is interesting that their frequency approach maintains constant power and shifts power from CPU to GPU if it is partly unused through Smartshift. Is this something that happened before or something also in Series X?

I wonder how 3D audio between PS5 and Series X differs. They dedicated a lot of time for sound in the presentation so it is a big deal for them.

#341 Nesh, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  2. disco_

Newcomer

By doing last minute chip revisions and clock increases.

egoless and AzBat like this.
  3. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

For one thing you can just whip the expansion card out of the XSX and take it round to your chums house for a gaming session. You can probably even just quick boot into the same three games you most recently playing in seconds.

And for another, there aren't any PS5 compatible drives at the moment. At launch you can have a 2TB XSX. PS5 is capped at 825GB for the near future.

Edit: personally I like / prefer the idea of installing additional NVMe drives like in PS5, but I can still see some plusses for the XSX setup.

sir doris, AzBat and PSman1700 like this.
  4. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

Read the DF article.

5. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

What is disappointing is that only 100 PS4 games will be playable at launch (with no guarantee that others game will be available, only promises).

So they made a Frankenstein GPU (that will probably consume as much watts or even more than Xbox with its 20% more powerful GPU) in order to play 4% of PS4 games ? What a waste.

This reminds me a lot of Wii U. But at least Wii U could play all Wii games, not 4% of them.

#345 Globalisateur, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  6. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Also no PS2 or PS1 or PS3 support? :(

PSman1700 likes this.
  7. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

PSNow perhaps?

PSman1700 likes this.
  8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

It'll also be interesting to know the CPU/GPU cache amounts as well in order to gauge bandwidth penalties.

function likes this.
  9. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

We don't know whether or not that will be the case with the PS5 yet. The M2 drive may well be easily accessible and hot swappable. Hopefully it is. Sure M2 is physically bigger than the XSX card, but it's still smaller than a single Blu-ray case.

There aren't any PS5 compatible drives at the moment, true. But there also isn't a PS5 at the moment.

Who knows what's around the corner. PlayStation branded expansion drives may well be announced when Sony does a less techy reveal of the physical console, the DualShock 5, services etc

10. Pressure

Veteran Regular

We clearly see this when comparing GCN with RDNA, with the latter being much easier to get high utilisation from.

11. disco_

Newcomer

I'm seeing people quote 2% variance in clocks. Not sure if that's legit.

12. dobwal

Legend Veteran

I imagine they will work on it like MS did for XB1 and the list will grow over time.

13. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Proper PCIe 4 NVMe controllers are coming soon that can fully saturate the bandwidth offered. The current Phison E16 controller is not able to do that.

PSman1700 likes this.
  14. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

If it would be, why complicating things with 2%. 2.23ghz is very high, even 2000mhz was already seen as 'aha'. Most likely clocks between those two.

15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's not, Cerny just said that to drop 10 % power you just need to drop couple (or was it few) % clocks

goonergaz and PSman1700 like this.
  16. disco_

Newcomer

The little cards for xsx could be like those surface pro cards. They also started introducing these little guys on the left, last year,

[​IMG]

AzBat, Tkumpathenurpahl and BRiT like this.
  17. jayco

Veteran Regular

And now we have to wait 3 more months for games...

One thing Sony has done wrong is aiming this event at casual/average pea... gamers. I get that after GDC got cancelled they needed to release this info but I would have change the format given the target audience had changed. I can't say I like Jim Ryan leading things here.

Mitchings likes this.
  18. BRiT

BRiT Verified (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha

That 2% difference was just enough to make a difference in who had to donate to the site, despite the spirit of the bet actually being won by Proelite.

19. Tkumpathenurpahl

Tkumpathenurpahl Oil my grapes.
    Veteran Newcomer

That's not what was said. They said they've tested it with the 100 most played games and most will play just fine come the launch of the PS5.

We don't yet know what that will result in. Maybe 98 of those 100 played absolutely fine, and maybe that will translate to 98% of all PS4 games playing absolutely fine.

Or maybe it means 51 of those 100 PS4 games play just fine, and everything else in the library falls on its arse.

Life of the Black Tiger will probably not fare well in this transition.

20. Rockster

Regular

Has anyone gotten a TMU or ROP count?