Peter Jackson will do the Hobbit

Or a remake of ROTK with the sacking of the shire in it.... I mean I can understand cutting Tom, but the sacking of the shire was actually a major if not the primary point of the whole damn story... while he is at that perhaps he could also remove the knife from Faramir's back.

I'm pretty sure this isn't new. Hasn't Jackson made this perfectly clear before? This certainly isn't the first I'm hearing of it. Anyway, its hard to get hyped over a movie coming out in three years. I'll have long forgotten about its production until I see a trailer. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to see "The Hobbit" done by Jackson.

Well, I think originally he said he wasn't going to do it, then he was, then he got angry over something ($ or power) and wasn't again, now apparently he is (again).

As for Jacksons directing, I found the movies to be OK, though it seemed like they went sequentially downhill.

Or a remake of ROTK with the sacking of the shire in it.... I mean I can understand cutting Tom, but the sacking of the shire was actually a major if not the primary point of the whole damn story... while he is at that perhaps he could also remove the knife from Faramir's back.

Exactly. As King Kong demonstrated again for the slow, Jackson is a talentless hack who couldn't block a scene to save his soul and should only be allowed to direct home videos. I'm sorry, movie geeks, but his LotR was complete and utter shit and I expect no less from the Hobbit if he's involved. Hmm, let's see how he can fuck it up. Oh, I know, Bard runs away when Smaug emerges from the mountain, only to be berated for his cowardice by a secondary character and we're then given a Matrix-like running sequence which ends with Bard sliding down the tiled roof of a Lake-town house, riding one tile per foot, while shooting arrows at Smaug like a machine gun. A party scene follows wherein Lake-town survivors beat on Stormtrooper helmets with sticks.

And splitting the Hobbit into two films is what's currently planned.

Sequel? Perhaps they'll split The Hobbit into two separate films?

Reading some of the other reports, they seem to be saying (from AICN)

"The second project is believed to be a bridge between THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy - culled from the titanic amount of periphery/ancillary/notated material found in Tolkien's works."

Sounds plausible, I've got no idea what that would entail tho (I've not even read the trilogy yet, never mind all the other books)

Everything I've read is that Jackson is only executive producing, not directing...

However a joint statement from Jackson, New Line, and MGM on Tuesday said the legal feud had been settled and that Jackson and professional partner Fran Walsh would serve as executive producers on the two films.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hz_Ox4Yu7ZlMeg4-E4-EtsiDAvcA

Looks like Sami Raimi will turn down Spiderman 4 in order to direct The Hobbit.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6618

Tommy McClain

The guy who owns(or will in 2008 when they revert to him) the rights (Zaentz) to the hobbit, said that Jackson will direct it. I'd really hope its not Raimi.

Exactly. As King Kong demonstrated again for the slow, Jackson is a talentless hack who couldn't block a scene to save his soul and should only be allowed to direct home videos. I'm sorry, movie geeks, but his LotR was complete and utter shit and I expect no less from the Hobbit if he's involved. Hmm, let's see how he can fuck it up. Oh, I know, Bard runs away when Smaug emerges from the mountain, only to be berated for his cowardice by a secondary character and we're then given a Matrix-like running sequence which ends with Bard sliding down the tiled roof of a Lake-town house, riding one tile per foot, while shooting arrows at Smaug like a machine gun. A party scene follows wherein Lake-town survivors beat on Stormtrooper helmets with sticks.

Tell us what you really think :p

It seemed allright to me though. I wonder what type of movies you actually like.

It seemed allright to me though. I wonder what type of movies you actually like.

Favorite film of 2006: Brokeback Mountain
Fav of 2007 so far: 3:10 to Yuma
Most anticipated movie for next year: Dark Knight

All-time fav: I don't know these days, used to say Star Wars for years because it so influenced my imagination as a child. Off the top of my head, some favs are:
Wrath of Khan
Cold Mountain
Sound of Music
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Jaws
Lion in Winter
Goodbye Girl
Raiders of the Lost Arc
T2

All-time fav TV is stuff like Hill Street Blues, Band of Brothers, and Six Feet Under.

Edit: LOL, I spelled Ark as Arc. Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cold Mountain

Man, the other day I was thinking about this movie. I used to think I was the only male alive who enjoyed it. Charlie Hunnam was a fucking phenomenal sociopath. I have a knack for a well played bad guy, and he definitely, in that movie, is one of my favorites.

"Put your hat over your face...."

I actually liked the movies and hated the books. I enjoyed the hobbit, but couldn't finish Fellowship. I even skipped ahead to the Two Towers, but couldn't finish that either. The Old Forest might be the slowest 20 or so pages I've ever read. It was a long time ago, but even after seeing the movies I couldn't bring myself to try the books again.

The movies weren't perfect though. I could have done without the 5 or so endings to the Return of the King.

Maybe I liked the movies because I wasn't concerned about them following the books.

Maybe I liked the movies because I wasn't concerned about them following the books.

And that's always thrown out when you criticize those movies. It's apparently inconceivable to dislike them for any reason other than a lack of slavish devotion to the books.

And that's always thrown out when you criticize those movies. It's apparently inconceivable to dislike them for any reason other than a lack of slavish devotion to the books.
Of course it's not inconceivable, but people in this very thread commented on stuff that was left out so it obviously affects some people's opinions.

Back