Homefront: The Revolution [Crytek]

It doesn't help that North Korea conquering anything more fearsome than a rice paddy is an unimaginably idiotic premise.

Now that I see the screenshots, they do look a bit worse than the trailer especially the lighting. Yeah the typical in engine vs gameplay difference I suppose.

It doesn't help that North Korea conquering anything more fearsome than a rice paddy is an unimaginably idiotic premise.

Heh yeah, it bothers me. And we had a long discussion about it for the last Homefront. Not sure why since almost everything in a video game is obviously fake. I mean, why does that bother me, but being shot countless times and constantly recovering is ok? :LOL:

Looking at the more political realities, it's that NK is the most palatable enemy. Companies do too much trade with China and Russia, cannot make them enemies, cant offend them...

Although for that matter no country would currently have any ability to launch a land invasion of the USA within the next couple decades at least. The US navy is about 50 times more powerful than all other navies combined (no other country even has anything close to a single Nimitz class nuclear supercarrier, let alone several). China does not even have the naval capacity to invade Taiwan let alone the USA. But at least China or Russia seems more realistic. But that's another subject.

I like what I see :D ! I would love to see an open world setting like this one. Hope stealth plays a huge part as its revolutionists against an empire !

and I f I see right, no PS360 version : THank god for that :D ! This E3 is getting interesting !

Heh yeah, it bothers me. And we had a long discussion about it for the last Homefront. Not sure why since almost everything in a video game is obviously fake. I mean, why does that bother me, but being shot countless times and constantly recovering is ok? :LOL:

Looking at the more political realities, it's that NK is the most palatable enemy. Companies do too much trade with China and Russia, cannot make them enemies, cant offend them...

Although for that matter no country would currently have any ability to launch a land invasion of the USA within the next couple decades at least. The US navy is about 50 times more powerful than all other navies combined (no other country even has anything close to a single Nimitz class nuclear supercarrier, let alone several). China does not even have the naval capacity to invade Taiwan let alone the USA. But at least China or Russia seems more realistic. But that's another subject.

I am generally annoyed when games depict one country invading another especially when its using the common trend "communist, arab, asian, russian" evil countries invading other countries vs Good USA. It creates unnecessary stereotypes and in the grand scale it does affect the collective perception towards specific countries which almost always has no relation to the real world. Some games are fairer towards all sides and although fictional they give a better representation of affairs especially when it makes references to real life events.
This is why I appreciate MGS a lot more and feel kinda repelled by some franchises like COD, Battlefield and MOH even though they may look and play good.

Bending the rules of reality so that something can be fun is more acceptable, like how Star Wars would be boring if the space scenes had no sound.
Nesh said:
I am generally annoyed when games depict one country invading another especially when its using the common trend "communist, arab, asian, russian" evil countries invading other countries vs Good USA.
Americans making games targeted foremost at Americans will tend to have Americans playing the hero, yes.
This is why I appreciate MGS a lot more
Depicting the US as a morally ambiguous, dangerous superpower is about as brave and counter-cultural in Japan as declaring you're in favor of gay marriage is in San Francisco. Now if Kojima made a game where the main aggressors were Japanese, and the heroes were Korean, that would be something.

I am generally annoyed when games depict one country invading another especially when its using the common trend "communist, arab, asian, russian" evil countries invading other countries vs Good USA. It creates unnecessary stereotypes and in the grand scale it does affect the collective perception towards specific countries which almost always has no relation to the real world. Some games are fairer towards all sides and although fictional they give a better representation of affairs especially when it makes references to real life events.
This is why I appreciate MGS a lot more and feel kinda repelled by some franchises like COD, Battlefield and MOH even though they may look and play good.

At least in the COD series they generally also portray Russians and Brits as heroes. :p

Regards,
SB

Those countries are going to have to becoming very large markets for CoD before that changes. :p

Americans making games targeted foremost at Americans will tend to have Americans playing the hero, yes.
Yes apparently.
That doesnt change my position and the stereotypes these games create in the perception of the masses in America or outside America.
Depicting the US as a morally ambiguous, dangerous superpower is about as brave and counter-cultural in Japan as declaring you're in favor of gay marriage is in San Francisco. Now if Kojima made a game where the main aggressors were Japanese, and the heroes were Korean, that would be something.
I dont see a point why you mention "US as a morally ambiguous, dangerous superpower" as an example in relation to MGS. MGS expresses this as a global phenomenon imposed by certain group interests, the "heroes" are questionable, and the latest theme of the "heroes" are "soldiers without frontiers" caught between the conflict of interests of these groups that do not represent the country or a country's people. It doesnt take sides, but expresses an idea as close to reality as possible within the fictional plot that co-exists with events that actually happened.
In MGS2 it even suggested what America should represent ideally. The "bad" guy (edit: who was probably a good guy in the grand scheme of things) was obviously American was even fighting against those groups for its ideals and true liberty in the country. No one was fighting against a stereotypical representation of another country depicted as an enemy. And hence there is no reason to build a plot that shows one country as the bad and another as the hero (in your example bad Japanese against hero Koreans). It only fuels bad and unnecessary perceptions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_This_August

The only semi-plausible "The USA gets invaded and occupied" that comes to my mind. But it was written in 1955. ;)

Trivia: By the same author, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marching_Morons

"The Marching Morons" presents an inane radio game show, Take It and Stick It, that uses the signature phrases, "Would you buy that for a quarter?", and "Would you buy it for a quarter?". The 1987 dystopian comedy RoboCop (which presented a similarly cynical view of an over-commercialized future desensitized to violence) makes an allusion to the line, adjusted for inflation, as the catchphrase of a TV comedian ("I'd buy that for a dollar!").
He was Frederick Pohl's partner for The Space Merchants, a classic.

SO, been playing the really big Demo since last night as the game has HDR support which I feel is really nice looking, much better than other games, except RnC. The HDR here transforms the whole mood into a very CG like experience with a lot of depth in the image. Objects appear more "rounded" and solid and the scene gets a sense of depth and detail thats missing from the SDR rendering of the game.

Playing for some hours, I can see why people hate Homefront, tech issues are all gone so the annoyance is over.
ppl hate it because it's hard, hard because it doesn't play like COD. they actually went for guerrilla warfare here. You take two guys out and run ! if u don't and think you will COD the whole enemy fleet, then a whole air ship or tank shows up within like 1.5 minutes of u firing a gun! :D so u take a few guys down, loot a body if u can and u run like hell. then u stay silent crouched, take a guy out , hide, take out another run!
You are not a superhuman here, enemies die in 4 bullets and so do you.

And even if u take over a building, if u fire around recjlessly, enemies can come back fight u in ur territory!
Weapons are inaccurate and its always tense and u r always just a pesky revolutionary/naxal against the ruling govt.
It's a completely new feel of being underpowered and making small advances.

I can see why ppl hate it. If they want a power fantasy, this is not one. this one is unique like far cry 2. ppl will love it ppl will hate it.
thankfully the tech issues are gone an instead now we have TSAA and HDR on the pro.
I would say most ppl will hate the game , but those who liked Stalker or Metro will appreciate whats on offer. This is like easier stalker with a guerilla warfare mindset !

one cannot tell anymore from the demo. Bullets are limited and looting takes time....its a very cat n mouse like game, thrilling when u pull it off, frustrating when u don't :)

I think I will buy it, because every other shooter is a L2+R2 spam fest while this is not. I am still undecided between this and the new Deus Ex. Both seem to be hated and loved, atleast this one feels totally fresh and gets my mind out of its "game rules" zone.

Bought it last night in a half sleepy decision. Totally broke after the pro+4k tv purchases and here i go overspending again when i have a ton of unfinished games. I guess my HDR drooling took me half sleepy head over and made me.press that purchase button !
Well, its on the way now ! :D Hope i finish it but Destiny 2 beta is rigjt around the corner ready to distract me !

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

SO, been playing the really big Demo since last night as the game has HDR support which I feel is really nice looking, much better than other games, except RnC. The HDR here transforms the whole mood into a very CG like experience with a lot of depth in the image. Objects appear more "rounded" and solid and the scene gets a sense of depth and detail thats missing from the SDR rendering of the game.

Playing for some hours, I can see why people hate Homefront, tech issues are all gone so the annoyance is over.
ppl hate it because it's hard, hard because it doesn't play like COD. they actually went for guerrilla warfare here. You take two guys out and run ! if u don't and think you will COD the whole enemy fleet, then a whole air ship or tank shows up within like 1.5 minutes of u firing a gun! :D so u take a few guys down, loot a body if u can and u run like hell. then u stay silent crouched, take a guy out , hide, take out another run!
You are not a superhuman here, enemies die in 4 bullets and so do you.

And even if u take over a building, if u fire around recjlessly, enemies can come back fight u in ur territory!
Weapons are inaccurate and its always tense and u r always just a pesky revolutionary/naxal against the ruling govt.
It's a completely new feel of being underpowered and making small advances.

I can see why ppl hate it. If they want a power fantasy, this is not one. this one is unique like far cry 2. ppl will love it ppl will hate it.
thankfully the tech issues are gone an instead now we have TSAA and HDR on the pro.
I would say most ppl will hate the game , but those who liked Stalker or Metro will appreciate whats on offer. This is like easier stalker with a guerilla warfare mindset !

one cannot tell anymore from the demo. Bullets are limited and looting takes time....its a very cat n mouse like game, thrilling when u pull it off, frustrating when u don't :)

I think I will buy it, because every other shooter is a L2+R2 spam fest while this is not. I am still undecided between this and the new Deus Ex. Both seem to be hated and loved, atleast this one feels totally fresh and gets my mind out of its "game rules" zone.

I agree in most points. However, I doupt that HDR has such a big impact.

In general I would be interested in a comparison between the PlayStation 4 Pro version and standard PayStation 4 version of this game.

...overspending again when i have a ton of unfinished games.

This is why I rarely buy games for more than 5 USD anymore. :) For really good AAA games I might go up to 10 USD. And about once or twice a year I might get a game for launch price (usually, but not always, means 10-15% off on Steam).

Regards,
SB

I agree in most points. However, I doupt that HDR has such a big impact.

In general I would be interested in a comparison between the PlayStation 4 Pro version and standard PayStation 4 version of this game.

As far as i can see its HDR which is making the impact here. There is no way to show it, can only be seen on screen but rhe difference in tonemapping is huge in this game.
This is from my phone cam but u can get an idea of how different the game looks with hdr off and on.
2a8c6c5d81dfa273a1e06ad9060a7e73.jpg
41a08fd81d7c767f7b778a5904344bbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

Back