People Can Fly's new shooter from Epic, Bulletstorm

Yeah using community scores is like the most stupid idea you can do these days.

ooh Trishka(i like girls that put up a big mouth) :oops:

It's significantly harder to score well if you ignore combos. The replay value seems to be based on scoring, so if you don't find value in achieving high scores, I'd think this game isn't for you.

That's the big problem I have with the game: I don't care about scores. If all the ridiculous combos actually gave me a significant edge on the battlefield I'd be rather thrilled. I just don't care whether I score ten points or a hundred as long as it gets the job done. Same with Vanquish, which I thought was actually much easier when I just sat back and took my time instead of boosting myself in and out of near death situations.

That's the big problem I have with the game: I don't care about scores. If all the ridiculous combos actually gave me a significant edge on the battlefield I'd be rather thrilled. I just don't care whether I score ten points or a hundred as long as it gets the job done. Same with Vanquish, which I thought was actually much easier when I just sat back and took my time instead of boosting myself in and out of near death situations.

Hmm so you don't care about any score based games in general?
No Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Dance Central or even lap times in racing games?

Those don't give you an edge in gameplay either. Like Bulletstorm however, they are the gameplay- the impetus to play, at least.

Sure, it's fine to take things slow and easy... watching an interactive movie?

Hmm so you don't care about any score based games in general?
No Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Dance Central or even lap times in racing games?

Dead on (especially with the music games). I do like me some Pinball and Wipeout every once in a while, but that's pretty much it. I also don't think it's quite the same. In a Pinball game score is everything. It's the whole point. You don't have to go out of your way to earn them. In Bulletstorm it's merely an added optional layer of complexity.

Couple hours in, liking the game so far. Nice graphics, good lighting. The wheel chase scene was pretty impressive.

The whole leveling your guns via skillpoints thing is, interesting, not sure I love it or not...it basically ends up that new (IE, never done before) skillshots are where the big points are, so you end up trying to do somewhat strained, artificial ways of killing enemies. It reminds me a lot of achievement hunting in that aspect. It also takes away some of the straightforwardness of encounters. Now instead of necessarily trying to just survive and proceed as in most games, and just focusing on the difficulty, you're trying to "set up" weaker enemies. The difficulty of your average opponents seems a bit dialed back then, as you cant just concentrate on killing. I dont know, it just has a lot of gameplay implications but it does add some nice variety and is something different and melds in pretty well.

One thing that bugs me a bit is the linearity, just beneath the surface, is pretty strong. It seems a bit more linear and "forward forward forward" than say, Gears of War, while still being nothing as bad as a COD title.

All in all though, already pretty addicted, keep wanting to play more more more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Anarchy Mode let you play co-op through the story or is it like Echo Mode but with multiple players?

I think Anarchy Mode is their Horde mode. Except instead of number of enemies to kill each wave before moving onto the next one, it's score required in order to move to the next one.

Still haven't got a clue if I'll get this or not, but it's on the back burner now either way. What with W40k: Retribution and Crysis 2 on pre-order and BF3 possibly also.

Regards,
SB

Having just finished ME2 and then played through KZ3 I've now gone and picked up bulletstorm. Lots of fun so far, quite zany in a way and definately some light relief from the serious streak that seems to be running through games at the moment.

Bit of a sleeper really. A bit like Vanquish, there needs to be more love for these two games!!

This pile of junk has got to be one of the worst controlling games ever made. You get stuck behind everything as you slide, your shots as well, and the friendly AI is right there in the way also. While they are not shooting at anything apparently. The weapon switching seems to get stuck at times. The buttons are poorly mapped, press R2 to activate alt. fire then R1 to shoot. Why not just R2 to shoot with alt. fire? Press X to climb over objects only when the prompt appears instead of a proper jump button. This game is more frustrating then fun.

Edit: Wow, I feel like I've seen a shit ending like this before somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back