People Can Fly's new shooter from Epic, Bulletstorm

Rangers

Legend
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/13/i...m_campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/joystiq+(Joystiq)

Gameplay trailer at the link.

Youtube 720P trailer>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79nmHdcRxY (still a bit low quality :( )

A lot of previews hitting today, the normally overly jaded Joystiq seemed to love it, bodes well

Epic Games and Painkiller dev People Can Fly have finally taken the wraps off Bulletstorm, their FPS collaboration for EA, and it's looking like a brutal yet beautiful love note to fans of over-the-top action. Epic's design director Cliff Bleszinski and Bulletstorm producer Tanya Jessen (who also produced Gears of War on PC) flew in to San Francisco last week to debut the game. The duo kicked things off with the above trailer before getting into the nitty-gritty details in a live gameplay demo, with Bleszinski steeling the crowd for what he considers to be "a mix of Burnout, Duke Nukem and Firefly / Serenity."

Running on Xbox 360 hardware, the game is already looking great -- not just for its solid frame rate and myriad effects, but also because it looks different. Elysium didn't look like any setting I'd ever seen in an FPS before, with its lush, colorful vegetation devouring the ruins of once gleaming buildings underneath. As good as it looked, though, it was the gameplay -- the skillshots -- that left the strongest impression on me.

Bulletstorm has the looks and unique gameplay hook of a project that could make for something big on the FPS front. If anything, it's great to see a game trying something different (and totally unrealistic) amidst the current trend of highly realistic military shooters.

Pretty psyched, should be a fun blaster to help tide over Epic lovers till Gears 3. 010 is looking to be a great year for shooters imo compared to 09. Where 09 only had mainly MW2 and ODST, and I'm not a MW fan, 010 will trounce that with personally HUGE games Reach and Crysis 2, as well as excellent looking Brink and Bulletstorm.

Too me the whole "scoring" system the trailer shows seems like it could indeed be a great idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice. Glad to see something different from all the grey realistic shooters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine the game isn't like that, but the environments in the trailer looked kinda empty for a game by the guys who made painkiller.

Sweet.

I'm sick of games where you can shoot a guy with an RPG in the face and all you get is jerky ragdoll summersault. Glad to see Epic bringing realistic dismemberment back. :D

Surprised people arent talking much about this game. Looks stunning and seems fun.

Video presentation from Gamescon.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_bulletstorm_gamescom_presentation-9871_en.html

Screenshots.
06r6sr.jpg

03c58x.jpg

Surprised people arent talking much about this game. Looks stunning and seems fun.

It probably got lost in the flood of upcoming FPS's. It probably needs a really good demo to draw some attention to itself.

It does look like a lot of fun. Crazy weapons and creative ways to use them, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's very unlike most of today's FPS's. I hope it does well enough to prove there is more room in the market then just one type of FPS.

It probably got lost in the flood of upcoming FPS's. It probably needs a really good demo to draw some attention to itself.

It does look like a lot of fun. Crazy weapons and creative ways to use them, and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's very unlike most of today's FPS's. I hope it does well enough to prove there is more room in the market then just one type of FPS.

I think it will do well. Neogaf seems very positive on it and they usually take a dim view of multiplatform games, (especially UE3, Epic, western, etc style ones) preferring to engage in system exclusive wars. Also it has a unique hook and as is always very important imo, look very good. It's definitely strong on my radar regardless of how crowded the field is.

The one thing I worry about with this game is how well the scoring mechanism integrates. Am I going to find it an annoyance as I'd rather just blast through the game traditionally? Or will it work well?

BTW that boss in the Gamescom clip is maybe the biggest reasonably well animated boss I've ever seen in a game! There was that multi-story giant in Resistance 2, but he looked and animated much worse than this guy.

I guess 2011 is the year of post-apocalyptic games, with Crysis 2, Motorstorm, Infamous 2, I'm Alive, Scivelation, HL2: EP3, and now this.

You'd think they'd wait until 2012 for such games :)

I guess 2011 is the year of post-apocalyptic games, with Crysis 2, Motorstorm, Infamous 2, I'm Alive, Scivelation, HL2: EP3, and now this.

You'd think they'd wait until 2012 for such games :)

But we won't be around then...............btw, that makes a good ? for the the future tech thread, what would you be looking for in a post-apocolyptic console?

Video presentation from Gamescon.
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_bulletstorm_gamescom_presentation-9871_en.html

Screenshots.
06r6sr.jpg

03c58x.jpg
I like the colours of this game. It looks so crisp. It also surprises me Epic created the game but it's published by EA -one of my preferred gaming companies, if not the most-.

I thought Epic always published their own games.

The only thing that gets me confused is that they are always doing shooters, and they seem happy in their own comfy and safe little niche that it looks like they fear any change and will balk intensively against any hint of it.

Epic delight in the safety of that flock of sheep mentality; I mean, if they stand out of the genre they might be eaten by the big bad wolf of the so called unpopularity.

But I like how this game looks, especially if it's running on consoles. :cool:

The only thing that gets me confused is that they are always doing shooters, and they seem happy in their own comfy and safe little niche that it looks like they fear any change and will balk intensively against any hint of it.

Epic delight in the safety of that flock of sheep mentality; I mean, if they stand out of the genre they might be eaten by the big bad wolf of the so called unpopularity.

Fine with me. FPS are my favorite genre. Epic making more FPS/TPS =Epic making more games I want.

I
they seem happy in their own comfy and safe little niche that it looks like they fear any change and will balk intensively against any hint of it.

Epic delight in the safety of that flock of sheep mentality

FPS a little niche?! and niche and flock of sheep in the same context? Right... :)

Atleast visually it looks really impressive.

Played a SP demo of this today and was, very unexpectedly, blown away. The game itself ran buttery smooth and the combo-mechanic was both intuitive and entertaining.

I'm not entirely convinced there's enough in there to last a complete 10 hour experience, as I was initially wow'd by painkiller but felt the game definately outstayed its welcome long before the end. But with Epic, masters of SP pacing, behind them, I can see this game becoming something of a surprise hit.

The grab, kick, shoot mechanics would appear to lend themselves to an excellent MP experience too.

Played a SP demo of this today and was, very unexpectedly, blown away. The game itself ran buttery smooth and the combo-mechanic was both intuitive and entertaining.

I'm not entirely convinced there's enough in there to last a complete 10 hour experience, as I was initially wow'd by painkiller but felt the game definately outstayed its welcome long before the end. But with Epic, masters of SP pacing, behind them, I can see this game becoming something of a surprise hit.

The grab, kick, shoot mechanics would appear to lend themselves to an excellent MP experience too.

Console or PC.

You mean we get a game with Gears 3 beta invite awesome.
j/k

Preordered the game already Awesome game plus Gears 3 beta for 50% of retail was to good to pass on.

Back