[PC] Doom 3 BFG *spinoff*

^The flashlight actually didn't cast shadows on the Xbox 1 version either.
Consoles, no more no less.

But I'd swear I saw the Xbox version casting shadows when using the flashlight.

I completed the game a few times on the original Xbox, but it was 7 years ago, before I purchased the 360.

And there was this particular scene that has remained etched on my memory, where I think I was using the flashlight. It happens during the first minutes of the game, iirc.

There is a computer terminal and a technician -or was it a demon?-, and some kind of flux pipes, a couple of columns, and an air vent at floor height.

The mental image I keep is that I was using the flashlight and the shadows of the column moved around on the surrounding walls depending on the angle the light was coming into contact with the column.

Seems like this D3 re-release is nothing more then a cash cow to try and rake back some of the money they lost on RAGE....

I have to imagine it is EXACTLY what they said it was at Qcon.

A way to introduce console fanboys to Doom before they release Doom4. It is "cheap" advertising. So cheap it makes them a bit of money :)

Not if it totally turns off "console fanboys" in the process. I doubt this re-release will be that well received. iD are deluding themselves if they think their simplistic gameplay design, dated visuals, and repetative play are going to sway modern gamers. Sometimes I feel like iD is arrogant enough to think that just because it's an iD game or a Doom game that people will flock to buy it. I think that time has long since passed.

iD are deluding themselves if they think their simplistic gameplay design, dated visuals, and repetative play are going to sway modern gamers.

True; modern gamers are getting all their simplistic gameplay design, dated visuals, and repetitive play from Call of Duty these days :devilish:

PC fanboys get their simplistic gameplay from Zynga these days.

But he has a point. Doom 3 wasn't a very good game on release. It was a mediocre, repetitive game with a crazy-cool graphics engine. The graphics aren't crazy-cool any more, leaving only the mediocrity.

Yeah in normal play you don't go above 60 fps.

com_fixedTic [-1,0,1] - If set to 0 (the default) Doom 3's ticrate is capped at 60FPS, meaning the game framerate cannot exceed this, except when running a timedemo. If you want to remove this cap, set com_fixedTic to -1. Setting it to 1 removes the cap, but causes the game physics to go out of sync. Removing the FPS cap doesn't necessarily improve performance, and can lead to more variable framerates. Note that com_fixedTic -1 doesn't work as of the latest patch.

Yikes !!
Do people actually find that good looking ? I guess common sense doesn't strikes for some people.
Everybody hates flat looking ground but it's also probably the last place to spam POM shaders....cause the use should be sensible & realistic too.

:rolleyes: hum...nop POM is perfect for ground detail it works best in flat surfaces, that's why Crytek uses POM on Crysis1 and 2 for ground detail, and you know dx11 tessellation will just be used in the same manner from now on even on the 2 next gen consoles, about the height of the POM on that picture, it is not that bad, is slightly exaggerated is true but maybe the user just likes it that way, imo the realism is still there, also there's nothing stopping us from using a console command to change the POM height value, that's the beauty of PC gaming.

Imo a rock road should look something like this.

roman_road_02.jpg

Hello almighty. Why are you criticizing iD all the time? It's a bit off putting.

Why? Because they spend 5+ years on the POS that is known as RAGE, a game with such bad texture resolution it makes me sick, it was riddled with bugs and glitches and no ID re-release D3 only for it to be a former shadow of it's self...

after RAGE I wouldn't recommend buying anything from id if you have an AMD card,
you can blame AMD for that, but the fact is, you can run the other 99% of the games just fine.

after a year, many patches and new drivers RAGE is still unplayable on my PC.

old Doom 3 works fine, and looking at the video settings menu from the screenshots, I guess is better to play the original Doom 3 instead of the "consolized" version,

I decided I'd go there every other day, and then I saw it, there it was, the hill... of doom.

First reviews of the game.

720p HD, 60 fps, Doom 3 and the expansion, plus brand new content, multiplayer AND Co-op. Yay! Ah yes, this version is a must have. (pre-ordered it for X360)

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/doom-3-bfg-edition-revie/
Along with HD graphics, Doom 3 also features competitive multiplayer, co-op support, and has been optimized for 3D.

The original Doom and Doom 2 are recreated in all their glory. The new bundle doesn’t mess with the formula, and those that have tried the XBL and PSN ports will have already played these offerings. The real attraction of this bundle – beyond just having all the Doom games in one place – is the HD version of Doom 3, as well as The Lost Mission.

The multiplayer maps and the co-op add a fair amount of novelty to the game

Although there are some issues with the game including the same flawed controls and PC-first design decisions, and while the HD graphics aren’t going to fool anyone into thinking Doom 3 was suddenly rebuilt with a modern GPU in mind, the package is strong. Very strong.

I have saved the most important fact for last: Doom 3 was, and remains a great game. The HD graphics may not blow you away, but the original design was so good, they don’t need much to be immersive. The additional content, including Doom and Doom II is great, but the reason to buy this bundle is Doom 3 and the two expansions.
Plus a 3 minutes video review, which praises the game in general and says, among other things, that it has much improved textures. : D:yes:

It's like I can almost see the 60 fps of this game when watching the video. Great stuff.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuepik_cgrundertow-doom-3-bfg-edition-for-xbox-360-video-game-review_videogames

Last edited by a moderator:
720p HD, 60 fps, Doom 3 and the expansion, plus brand new content, multiplayer AND Co-op. Yay! Ah yes, this version is a must have. (pre-ordered it for X360)

What have you been smoking, 720p is not hd its a low resolution
and why yay ive ordered the inferior version - that doesnt make sense

Although there are some issues with the game including the same flawed controls

What flawed controls ?

Um, yes it is HD... Look up what the term High Definition means in a marketing context. 720p is an official HD res.

Marketing context - bah
I know that tv's that only do 720p cannot be labeled hd only hd ready as in they can accept a hd signal but not display it in hd

Doom 3(2004) is also "HD" :LOL:
I suppose with all the HD thing this is more of point of view of someone who played the XB1 version only?

720P = HD
1080P = "Full HD"

What have you been smoking, 720p is not hd its a low resolution
and why yay ive ordered the inferior version - that doesnt make sense

What flawed controls ?
wow. After enlightening me, I wonder what do you prefer as a gift, may I give you a pin or a candy?

Sure, 720p is not *ache di*, it is high definition.

You need to ask yourself, why do you label resolutions so personally? To feel better about yourself? Especially, why do you make such a big deal about others playing their PS3, Xbox 360, whatever -- and hint at this "I'll fix that" console gaming stuff? To feel better about your own beliefs regarding PC awesomeness, maybe?

It annoys me. I think it's immature.

Um, yes it is HD... Look up what the term High Definition means in a marketing context. 720p is an official HD res.
What I.S.T. said. And that's that.

Marketing context - bah
I know that tv's that only do 720p cannot be labeled hd only hd ready as in they can accept a hd signal but not display it in hd
High end TVs are what defines the HD era. The HD revolution began with TVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doom 3(2004) is also "HD" :LOL:
I suppose with all the HD thing this is more of point of view of someone who played the XB1 version only?

720P = HD
1080P = "Full HD"

Doom 3 on PC is Ultra HD with the correct config line and monitor :LOL:

Doom 3 on PC is Ultra HD with the correct config line and monitor :LOL:
:oops: that's quite impressive. But I think it's hard enough for a PC to run a game at those resolutions let alone playing on Ultra HD at 60 fps -or also 120 fps, for example-. To me the beauty is in the silk smoothness when it comes to gaming.

Back