Oscar Pistorius - Disabled vs abled-bodied

Oscar battles on despite ban

St Petersburg - Double amputee sprinter Oscar Pistorius is resigned to missing this summer's Beijing Olympics but remains confident he will overturn an international ban and compete in London in four years time.

The 21-year-old South African was told last month by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) that he could not compete in their events because the artificial legs he uses gives him an unfair advantage.

The decision excluding him and other disabled athletes who use such devices from the Olympics followed a scientific investigation into his springy, blade-like prosthetics carried out by a German institution last November.

That research concluded that the devices gave him a clear competitive edge over such athletes as he used 25% less energy expenditure once he had reached top speed.

Pistorius and his agent Peet van Zyl, however, have refused to accept the IAAF decision and have hired a high-powered New York-based legal team to take an appeal to the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Appeal

"We were quite shocked and surprised when the results came out so we took the results and gave them to several institutes in America and they came back to us and said that they don't necessarily agree with the tests," said Pistorius who was in St Petersburg for the Laureus World Sports Awards in which he was nominated in the Breakthrough of the Year category.

"We launched our appeal through our law firm last week on Wednesday and the IAAF now have 10 days to submit any information that they want to submit and we will be taking it from there.

"It's been a rough couple of weeks but it's important to fight it because it has affected tens of thousands of amputee athletes all around the world who are competing in college meets that are affiliated with the IAAF.

"It's very important for the future of disabled-bodied sports that it gets sorted out."

Pistorius, who as an 11-month-old baby had both of his legs amputated below the knee due to a congenital disorder, has been dubbed "Blade Runner" due to the specially adapted carbon fibre blades that have seen him win paralympic titles and challenge the times set by top-level able-bodied athletes.

Read More: http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/More_Sport/0,,2-9-32_2272791,00.html
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/15.03/blade.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1so1ZMgpg2w

------------------------------

So discussion. Do you think he should be allowed to compete in the Beijing Olympics in August? Currently the IAAF has banned him from competing due to an 'advantage' he gets from his 'legs'.

US

Hasn't he already raced in an able-bodied race, after a similar hooha about discrimination blah blah blah? (IIRC he lost because of a whole bunch of excuses).

Hasn't he already raced in an able-bodied race, after a similar hooha about discrimination blah blah blah? (IIRC he lost because of a whole bunch of excuses).

He raced in Britain, but it was raining so he didn't do well. In Rome though(youtube link provided in previous post) he came second.

US

Anyway to answer your question... if he gains mechanical advantage from his prosthetics then no he shouldn't be allowed to compete. No problem with disabled runners competing v. able-bodied, this is purely a question of whether or not the extra hardware he uses to do so represents a level playing-field wrt the able-bodied competitors.

If you're going to allow him to have prosthesis, should able bodied athletes be allowed mechanical aids as well?

I don't know the mechanics of running well enough to say if their is an advantage or not, but its certainly not the same.

As crazy as this is going to sound, it's entirely possible.

Let's just say that things happen such that this person is allowed to compete against "normal" people that have no disabilities. Now, let's also say this person now beats everyone and starts breaking records.

What do you think will happen?

Well, at this point it will become clear that through the use of technology a person can improve their performance. Do you think people will start willingly amputating portions of their body or some how injuring themselves to give them the ability to use technology?

I know one thing, people are extremely competitive by nature in the sports arena. I think you can make a safe bet that if a guy with no foot beats the top athletes in his/her field that have both feet that you will start seeing some of these people start losing feet so they can leverage the same equipment legally.

If you are going to allow this person to compete with aid of technology, then you must also unlimit the "normal" person as well and let them have access to the same technology.

Let the normal person put springs in their shoes....or something along those lines.

IMO.

If you're going to allow him to have prosthesis, should able bodied athletes be allowed mechanical aids as well?
What do they put on their feet? Chopped liver?

Shoes return a lot less energy than these blades of course (and it's hard for them to return it under quite as nice an angle).

What do they put on their feet? Chopped liver?

Shoes return a lot less energy than these blades of course (and it's hard for them to return it under quite as nice an angle).

Well shoes add weight, it wouldn't surprise me if his mechanical prosthesis has a negative weight impact over normal legs.

Obviously there has to be a line drawn somewhere with the amount of mechanical aid they allow or its eventually going to become the bionic games.

The world upside down. This is the first i've heard of this.

I'm not sure how they decide what is or is not an advantage, I mean the guy has no calf muscles, his entire style of running is entirely different.

Frankly the affair is both ludicrous and remarkable.

I say let him compete. So what there is an advantage with his blades, Other athletes can get advantage by wearing better shoes.

Make his springs stiffer until there's a level playing field. The bone of contention as far as I get it is that his prothetics absorb more mechanical energy than the combination leg & shoe. So make his springs stiffer and let him compete. There, problem solved, after all sports is about fairness & unity.

or jet powered rollerskates

That won't be considered running anymore. His blades aren't motorised AFAIK or have wheels and bearings. He provides all the energy. Its like shoes. His action is what I still consider as running.

Simple fact is, even with the advantage he has, he's still far slower than the worlds best (or even average).

He obviously is never going to qualify by rights and is trying to get in through the back door playing the disability card.

He is running the risk of being the first disabled athlete people actually hate.

His constant moaning gets right on my nerves. I remember he ran against able bodied athletes in the UK last year he was bleating on about how he should always be allowed to run against able bodied athletes and where did he finish? Dead last miles behind anyone.

He seems a nice lad, but he is either being ill advised by his handlers or needs a reality check.

He obviously is never going to qualify by rights and is trying to get in through the back door playing the disability card.

Now that would be unfair. Will they at least let him participate in the qualifying event ? I reckon they should, he most likely won't make it through the qualifying anyway. It'll save all involved the legal fees.

But then when he doesn't qualify he'll say the other 7 runners put him off in the blocks demanding they be disqualified :LOL:

Bigotry? don't make me laugh.

Yes, I do not like the way Oscar is going about his business, but then it's not because he's disabled, it's because the course of action he's taking is wrong.

I don't think that qualifies as bigotry, your mileage may vary.

Back