Okami... wow

You guys are making it hard for me!
I'm still trying to max out my toon in Disgaea 2
But I'm so tempted to start Okami now.
LOL

I haven't actually picked up Lumines yet, which is kind of weird since I go out of my way for puzzle games.

I just scored a 273 on the 300 sec mode ... that's a good improvement for me, and my best score over the timed modes so far (looking at a one minute average). But it probably means nothing because only when you score a 50 average or better you unlock some bonus 'icons'. Of course that's the Japanese version. You can probably pick up the regular version cheap now, or you can wait for Lumines 2, which is probably going to be heaps better anyway. Hopefully it will get online rankings, that'd be lovely. :)

/off-topic

MIGHT CONTAIN SMALL SPOILERS

Right. Played up until after fighting Orochi... which i would have thought would be the end but i guess it's not as the adventure "has just started" (quite scary, that's one hell of a long introduction if true...). Apparently now there is more "evil" around the world? We'll see...

Orochi was FUN to fight. Not too hard, not too easy... Took me a while to get the hang of it but once i got going it was fabulous!

Oh and my money bag is stuck at 99999.. need to upgrade it but it's getting tough to get more praise damnit! I must have lost 50k just because my bag wasn't big enough, simply because i was focusing on upgrading health and ink instead of the money bag... :D

Was this really a very long intro?? If so, i'm even happier.

I'm amazed at how balanced this game is. Everything just works perfectly.

Ok, so I have a bit of a predicament... I have FFXII pre-ordered already, but I have a long weekend ahead of me and want a game to play until Tuesday. So I was trying to decide what game to pick up. I have two choices that I'm really considering:

Okami
Phantasy Star Universe (PC)

I know that a lot of people around here loved Okami, and I know that it got good reviews. I'm really looking for a RPG with a fast-paced battle system and really engaging story. So, if I could get some opinions from people about which of these two games I should pick up, I'd really appreciate it!

Ok, so I have a bit of a predicament... I have FFXII pre-ordered already, but I have a long weekend ahead of me and want a game to play until Tuesday. So I was trying to decide what game to pick up. I have two choices that I'm really considering:

Okami
Phantasy Star Universe (PC)

I know that a lot of people around here loved Okami, and I know that it got good reviews. I'm really looking for a RPG with a fast-paced battle system and really engaging story. So, if I could get some opinions from people about which of these two games I should pick up, I'd really appreciate it!

In my opinion there isn't even a contest... Okami by a few miles!

PSU is soulless in comparison.

Well, if you're looking for online action, certainly you won't get much with Okami... ;)

PSU has so far been getting excellent reception and has broader gameplay options, but Okami is simply a unique, must-not-miss experience. Not to mention, IMHO, flying straight to the top (certainly AMONG the top) gameplay-wise for its' genre.

Okami has more "RPG elements" than resembling an RPG like PSU does, but it flies high on the "fast-paced battle system" part. ;) What you describe that you want fits more to PSU, but for a self-contaned weekend of just plain enjoyable gaming...? You'd be able to play through Okami (I'd estimate playtime at ~30 hours, adjusted by how much you like messing around and hunting things down. Hehe...) and take in the whole experience in one go, which (after spreading my gameplay over a few weeks) I think has much appeal.

PSU is, of course, going to be a more open-ended, extended experience. You might still want to play Okami after you finish the plotline for "collecting everything" purposes, but PSU will keep offering you new fun and new people to meet down the line for lasting appeal. IMHO, Okami fits the bill more for a "weekend of gaming" and PSU for "some time this weekend, then next, then whenever I'm bored during the week..." ;)

Personally, I think you should hedge your bets. Get both, play Okami first, and if you still have time by Tuesday, make inroads on Phantasy Star! Hehe...

Well, I was TRYING to keep myself from spending too much knowing that FFXII is out in a couple of days, but... I GOTTA HAVE 'EM BOTH! Hehe... I'm such a compulsive buyer... But I just can't pass up on good games...

Next up on my list: Either Bully or SotC (or both once again hehe).

Well on THAT right you can just get SotC. It's shorter, cheaper, and you already have plenty of other games to play first. ;)

Well i am a the last few hurs of Okami but due to life, i have stopped playing it. I got the last brush technique.
I'll surely finish it over the weekend. :)

Oh by the way, I'm forced to ask this since I absolutely love this particular genre... Are there any other games along the lines of Okami or Zelda for PS2, Xbox, and/or PC? I love games like this that have exploration, fast-paced battle, story, and some RPG elements. I already own Beyond Good and Evil and Okami, but those are the only ones I know of not named Zelda (since I don't own a Gamecube currently, although I do plan on getting a Wii so I'm not too worried at the moment).

I'm afraid there aren't that many games like Zelda or Okami this generation. Or the one before it. There are some very very good games, and i'd mention ICO and SOTC, but both of them, while being amazing experiences, are very limited. They're short, there is no character development to speak of, no weapons. They're amazing because of the experience they provide.

There just aren't a lot of games that get everything right the way Okami does, still managing to be a very long game too!

Back