Okami... wow

I almost bought this game yesterday but I bought Valkyrie Profile 2 instead. I knew I should have bought both of them :cry:

You should have -- if you had to choose, Okami would have been the better choice too! (I bought both, but I'm not going to pretend VP2 is anywhere as good as Okami!)

You should have -- if you had to choose, Okami would have been the better choice too! (I bought both, but I'm not going to pretend VP2 is anywhere as good as Okami!)

Yeah I was in an RPG mood. When I beat VP2 i'll just sell it back and buy Okami.

Damn.. why do i have a social life? Haven't been able to play this again since the first try...

I have to stop having friends. It's bad for you. Friends bad. Okami good.

They said it's a good game but it's not AAA to them because of the different gameplay system.

That's definitely the dumbest thing I've heard today.

I'd also say Okami's gameplay is hardly very different than other zelda-style games -- adding a brush doesn't inherently change the gameplay much, it's still very much gameplay we've all seen before... it just happens to be very beautifully done and polished. I'm beginning to think most people out there don't really understand what gameplay actually means/is.

I'd avoid listening to those people in the future, regardless.

That's definitely the dumbest thing I've heard today.
I'd also say Okami's gameplay is hardly very different than other zelda-style games -- adding a brush doesn't inherently change the gameplay much, it's still very much gameplay we've all seen before... it just happens to be very beautifully done and polished. I'm beginning to think most people out there don't really understand what gameplay actually means/is.
I'd avoid listening to those people in the future, regardless.
They said it's a really creative game but sometimes the gameplay mechanics are used gimmickly and the game's way too easy. Sounds like Zelda to me so I'm looking forward to it.

They said it's a really creative game but sometimes the gameplay mechanics are used gimmickly and the game's way too easy. Sounds like Zelda to me so I'm looking forward to it.

I'd agree that it isn't exactly very hard... it is fun while it lasts. It isn't the type of game where I found myself saying "I wish this was harder" though (some games are like that).

The brush is kind of strange, but it didn't feel like it was added just for the sake of adding something new -- it didn't seem shoe-horned in so I didn't get the "gimmicky" feeling.

I'd agree that it isn't exactly very hard... it is fun while it lasts. It isn't the type of game where I found myself saying "I wish this was harder" though (some games are like that).
ah. I have no idea about the brush since I never played the game.

Too bad they made the main character a magical wolf with a magic paintbrush, and not a big bald buff space marine with spraygun.
How am I going to identify with a character like that, how can I possibly feel like being in the gameworld??
I have not played videogames for all these years and all of a sudden expected to be a lupus with artistic skills!!?!?
I'm a trained badass killer, frollicking in flowery meadows on all fours is just too gay!

Bah. Real men play games where things bloom and you kill stuff with a paintbrush!

Either that, or you're insecurley compensating for something!

So, london-boy, I think you've answered this before somewhere else, but what do you use to play it? And is it much of a hassle to use?
Anyone know when this will be out EU side? I "fear" it will coincide with the Wii launch.

So, london-boy, I think you've answered this before somewhere else, but what do you use to play it? And is it much of a hassle to use?
Anyone know when this will be out EU side? I "fear" it will coincide with the Wii launch.

I use ... uhm... not sure about the name actually but if you google "ps2 import boot up disc" it will come up...

It's a boot up disc and a plastic device to open the tray as you can't push the "open/close" button or the whole thing doesn't work, so u need to open the tray manually. If you have a PSTwo, the device is different as there is no tray.

It's all explained and totally safe, trust me. It lets you play import and copies (if u have that need). Great little thing, it made me play lots of games months before they were out here like Shadow of the Colossus and others.

When I said before that it has depth, I didn't NOT mean it. ;) While you can get through the game button-mashing your combat, doing it right and to full effectiveness actually involves skills and coordination that goes well beyond any of the Zeldas I've played, and simple combat never stopped THEM from being AAA titles. Hehe...

When I said before that it has depth, I didn't NOT mean it. ;) While you can get through the game button-mashing your combat, doing it right and to full effectiveness actually involves skills and coordination that goes well beyond any of the Zeldas I've played, and simple combat never stopped THEM from being AAA titles. Hehe...
I just learned about the trick of doing that brush effect on enemies as they die (what's that called?). Basically, right when an enemy dies, they go into a slow mode effect for couple seconds. In that time, you have to use an appropriate brush effect on them in order to get a special "fang" thingie, that you can trade for items.

Anyway, just one example of depth in the game that can be completely ignored through the entire game, but has me trying each of my brush strokes on dead enemies...

While you can get through the game button-mashing your combat, doing it right and to full effectiveness actually involves skills and coordination that goes well beyond any of the Zeldas I've played, and simple combat never stopped THEM from being AAA titles. Hehe...
Exactly, that's part of what I was alluding to when I mentioned the depth of the gameplay system in my earlier love-filled post. It's truly a title that should appeal to many different types of gamers. Initially I even had a line to the effect that it is a better Zelda than Zelda, but I took it out to prevent forest fires. It seems I'm not alone with this sentiment. :mrgreen:

I hope it's not hampered in terms of sales by the lack of bald space marines. (This reminds me of some people that claim japanese developers are no longer very relevant. Ha!)

I hope it's not hampered in terms of sales by the lack of bald space marines. (This reminds me of some people that claim japanese developers are no longer very relevant. Ha!)

YAY! I just had to get in on some bald space marine hate! :devilish:

this game looks fun, makes me wish i had a ps2 ;_; i might get one in a few months. I can't seem to resist consoles right around when they die... once the post-ps3 price cuts happen... *wrings hands* Sad that more PC games don't feature actually good art. If PC gaming dies, I shall blame the empasis on photo-realism. It's just not as fun as it could be...

Back