Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

I'm hyped as well. Not setting my expectation too high though. :smile: I think they'll show
1) PS4 console, very brief spec, controllers.
2) How PS4, PSV, their cloud, may be PS3 & other mobile devices etc can work together.
3) Tech demos for the above and possible new features like video capture.
4) Unreal Engine 4 demo.
5) Online premium plan. Hopefully, a few hours of online play a week is still free, like F2P models where most people don't need to pay, but the heavy users or people who want some nice extras may need to.

For specific games, I'm not really expecting them to show much more than montage or teasers. They may keep individual game unveiling for later, eg. E3.

If they don't at least show the PS4 console, there will be an angry mob hunting the lot of them down through the streets of New York. :LOL:

8490958679_168da2ef7e_o.png

If they are planning to release in November, you can bet that there will be several games quite playable already, quite similar to how when the Vita was announced around the same time, they had various stuff playable (and those games had shorter development cycles). That of course doesn't mean they'll let a lot of press actually play anything - that may wait until E3. This is a show and tell event.

We'll see the hardware, the OS, the vision and perhaps even some demos of the online service (see the gaikay palystation domain registrations that was just reported on) and details on what Playstation Plus will become in the future. I don't know that it will contain online play by itself, but all the features that actually cost Sony money (hosting streaming video for games being played live, or replays, cross-game chat, etc.) will go behind the Playstation Plus paywall for sure.

We'll definitely see some partners come to the stage - usual suspects would be Ubisoft, EA and Epic, but perhaps also Crytec, who knows.

I do also expect the new PS Eye to get some airtime for sure (with new Move tracking features, some AR stuff), but definitely also in the context of some hardcore experiences (seeing Killzone 4 being played by it perhaps). There are some rumors of Dust 514 creator CCP being at the event - perhaps they will anounce a full Eve Online client for PS4, who knows.

Personally I am hoping for something serious, like Move now being so precise that OS level support for Move built into the PS4 means you can switch out the Move controller for the right analog stick in any game for the platform. But that's a very personal hope. ;)

Expecting Last Guardian to make the move to PS4 is reasonable, considering how long we've gone with no news whatsoever of the project or its intended launch date. That doesn't mean I expect to see such an announcement today however, although it would of course be a welcome one.

The latest trailer for the meeting is 'games'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKi7qlDdXxs

It's ~3 minutes and has ~50 seconds showing the history of GT, and ~50 seconds showing a lot of 'experimental' games - ico/shadow of the colossus/flow/flower/unfinished swan/journey etc.

(other big series - uncharted etc. do not really feature...)

It might be aiming towards 'new experiences' with the controller... but it seems more logical that the last guardian (or something similar) is going to be shown.

We'll definitely see some partners come to the stage - usual suspects would be Ubisoft, EA and Epic, but perhaps also Crytec, who knows.

My guess is Crytek won't be there. What they've been saying recently (next gen vs Crysis 3 PC) suggest to me they don't have a horse in the early next gen race. :smile:

I do have to say this is quite a bit of hype from the countdown. They better not disappoint.
Letting yourself get hyped up is on your own responsibility; you should know better than that, especially if you're an adult... ;)

Anyone have a site address for the webcast stream? I assume there will be one...

Letting yourself get hyped up is on your own responsibility; you should know better than that, especially if you're an adult... ;)

Anyone have a site address for the webcast stream? I assume there will be one...
I am hyped about this presentation too! I particularly want Sony, MS and Nintendo to do well this next generation, as I am not a big fan of the competition.

For the sounds of it Sony are showing that they intend to please and make happy as many people as possible with this device.

The real test of course, is games. But Sony have great developers and excellent internal studios, franchises, etc. Pure classic stuff.

I personally would like there to be a sea-change in the way games are presented. Except for the Wii and the still immature Move and Kinect, that albeit a slow-dawning one, the consoles of this generation are offering up little more than that now widely available on handhelds, well, basically smartphones being the operative word here.

There are some very interesting things in the new PS4, like 3D without glasses, or things like head and face tracking during gameplay via on-board cameras, let's say in a future Gran Turismo game, as are so many of other concepts that they have been taking note this generation.

Is there no PlayStation stream from PlayStation to watch on my PlayStation console? Wouldn't surprise me that sony require you to have a device from someone else to learn about their platform. :p

Is there no PlayStation stream from PlayStation to watch on my PlayStation console? Wouldn't surprise me that sony require you to have a device from someone else to learn about their platform. :p

Who knows? ;)

They could youtube it live, but I don't know. GameTrailers has given the announcement an enormous amount of attention though, with feature after feature after feature about the announcement, so who knows they have a deal or something.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sonyplaystation?feature=watch

YouTube on PS3 remains crap. I like how their PlayStation videos in the run-up to tonight talk up PS3's apps like YouTube, ignoring the ridiculous regional differences. i'd be delighted to hear a compete refactoring of the PSN/SEN service so all Apps and services are uniform. Content may still be regional thanks to copyright issues, but apps and services should be day-and-date uniform for everyone.

I ain't spending a week downloading Home just to watch promo videos! Sony invited to Home when it was crap, and have done nothing to win me back. It's a lousy front-end to a glorified PR channel. If they have announcements, what's so frickin' wrong with a PlayStation Channel on the TV services section in XMB, and a front-screen announcement of what's coming on it?

Back