Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

wco81

Legend
Someone has to put one up, right?

I'm sure there will be live blogs but we can consolidate the "officially" released info here.

What I expect:
Initial system design announcement
Initial controller design announcement
Several technical demos
PS3 BC solution

What we'll have to wait for:
Launch price
Launch date
Actual launch games
Next version of Playstation Network

What I expect:
Initial system design announcement
Initial controller design announcement
Several technical demos
PS3 BC solution

What we'll have to wait for:
Launch price
Launch date
Actual launch games
Next version of Playstation Network

I'd say with the hardware being as close to pc spec as it is, I'm pretty sure Sony won't be shy about showing "working samples" of ps4 games which are essentially pc games running on pc hardware which approximates ps4 performance...

And I'm expecting at least a half dozen of these ps4/pc games to be on display.

This is nothing like the old days of ps3/xb360 with such exotic hardware that rough demos were about all you could expect this far out...

BF3/4, Crysis3, Farcry3, etc ... Heck we may even see a nextgen COD (which I'm sure will grab all the headlines if it does show up).

Some folks are cautioning that Sony may reserve most of the game showing for E3.

I don't doubt that the majority of the game lineup will be reserved for e3, but I think a half dozen big hitters which show the systems capabilities will be on hand to make a nice first impression.

FTR - I'm expecting a launch lineup in the 2-3 dozen range.

No exotic hardware = fast/easy development

Yeah, I think we'll get 2-4 proper stage demos, plus a reel with another 10-15 first and third party games. There will still be tons to show at E3, especially since they're gonna have PS3, Vita AND PS4 stuff to talk about there.

... I'm pretty sure Sony won't be shy about showing "working samples" of ps4 games which are essentially pc games running on pc hardware which approximates ps4 performance...

No exotic hardware = fast/easy development

I am wary because I think if they simply shoot for PC games, they will fail to make an impression.

Sony should demonstrate something noticeably different from PC games, especially if they want people to pay for MP.

Who said anything about paying for multiplayer?

Meh, I expect it to happen. I'm already paying for PS+, it'll probably be rolled into that. It is incredibly hard to turn down eventually 20 million people * $50/year = ~$100 million/year for a company in Sony's position.

And yes, people who refuse to play for online gaming will go to the PC, but aren't they already there?

oh neogaf doom and gloom. They get so hyped for something that its almost impossible to deliver lol. The way I see it they going to add lots of features thats going to be ps+ only but hopefully still have the barebones psn still free.

8491767200_380c0a7a66_o.png

Meh, I expect it to happen. I'm already paying for PS+, it'll probably be rolled into that. It is incredibly hard to turn down eventually 20 million people * $50/year = ~$100 million/year for a company in Sony's position.

More importantly, it's hard to turn down that cash when your rival is doing it and no-one gives them bad press about it.

---

Personally I'm expecting:
- GT6, last guardian (based on the latest trailer they seem fairly likely).
- a concrete example of the new controller in use (in a steering wheel, or maybe aiming?), along with an explanation.
- heavy focus on online.
- cross-platform play/streaming/interopability. (vita/ps4/ps3/psmobile etc).
- some form of video streaming/tv.
- some casual gaming involving the camera.
- a whole lot of numbers for shareholders.
- 3D gaming, 3D video chat.

There might be a google presence (android/googletv/google chat)... and probably more games shown (KZ4 et al)

Expecting Last Guardian to make the move to PS4 is reasonable, considering how long we've gone with no news whatsoever of the project or its intended launch date. That doesn't mean I expect to see such an announcement today however, although it would of course be a welcome one. :D

I'm unsure exactly how much in the way of games we might see for an event such as this; games consoles are all about games, or they used to be anyway lol, so to not see ANY games is a remote possibility indeed...but which games and how many, that will be the really interesting question to be answered.

Oh, and I'm also REALLY interested in the design of the new console's casing. Wonder if they'll stick to a variation of the PS2 tower, or go with something completely new... I must say I'm rather partial to the tower design myself. It saves a lot of shelf space.

I want to see if Sony can pull a rabbit out of its hat and make Final Fantasy Versus XIII appear, maybe for the PS4?

Back