Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

I thought they actually stopped including the dock some time ago.

Confirmed, no dock thing in the iphone 4 box. But i was pleasantly surprised to find a proper wall plug to charge it. When i got my ipod touch i was really shocked to find that it only came with a USB cord.

Time to get one of these pretty little docks, but if you do make sure you're not using the official Apple bumper because it doesn't fit this dock. Aftermarket bumpers work fine though...go figure.

OK So i tried the headphones that came with the i4 and they are much, much better than the ones that came with my old ipod touch. Which, when i think about it, should be normal as those are more or less 2 years old.
And yes, i was using them and they are atrocious, but every other expensive pair i had (Sony, Sehneiser etc) broke at some point and i was left with the white ones...
But the new ones are actually pretty good, especially considering they come with the little volume and mic thing attached.

Sad day for me... I found out yesterday I can't get out of the contract of my previous S-E "dumbphone" for another 9-10 months, even if I stick to my current carrier. I either have to get two subscriptions that will run in parallel (= too expensive for me), or do a little song & dance with the customer services department and falsely tell them that I'm moving out of the country so they'll bill me a "final payment", which is all the outstanding months of my current contract all in one go, including all the minutes I'll never be able to use up etc. ...Which is too expensive, again.

Like choosing between cholera and the plague, if I want to get an iPhone this year. So I guess I'll be waiting some more, for the fifth iteration instead... Maybe Apple will support 4G, DX10 or 11 GPU and dual-core CPU then. :p

Probably not on 4G, unless they make it a priority to get an LTE phone out as soon as possible for Verizon's nascent LTE network.

Supposedly LTE chips are backwards compatible with both CDMA and GSM networks too. But probably the first LTE silicon does poorly on power consumption and size. Wired magazine article says Apple investigated going with Verizon several times since the launch with AT&T in 2007 but Qualcomm's chips were too big for the form factors of the GSM iPhone models at those times.

As for GPU and CPU, Apple is less likely to chase the bleeding edge, especially if the fastest silicon hurts battery life.

Most popular iPhone games don't seem to be too graphically-demanding. Apple will put in better graphics to support fancy OS effects, not necessarily to support more demanding games.

Like choosing between cholera and the plague, if I want to get an iPhone this year. So I guess I'll be waiting some more, for the fifth iteration instead... Maybe Apple will support 4G, DX10 or 11 GPU and dual-core CPU then. :p

I would pick cholera or the plague over the ebola you are planning to get ;)

Probably not on 4G, unless they make it a priority to get an LTE phone out as soon as possible for Verizon's nascent LTE network.
You know, there IS a world outside the borders of the united states... Hard to believe, I admit, but it's true. ;)

4G networks already exist in Europe - and undoubtedly in Asia - and they're constantly expanding.

Changing a platform's architecture would be too disruptive and demanding every year, yet Apple stays on the bleeding edge of mobile tech as much as any one platform from any one company can by introducing at the highest end (SGX535) and clocking aggressively in the interim. Next year will be their turn to upgrade.

They do, though, stick to OpenGL ES, so the current DirectX 9L3 capabilities of the GPU go to waste.

Sad day for me... I found out yesterday I can't get out of the contract of my previous S-E "dumbphone" for another 9-10 months, even if I stick to my current carrier. I either have to get two subscriptions that will run in parallel (= too expensive for me), or do a little song & dance with the customer services department and falsely tell them that I'm moving out of the country so they'll bill me a "final payment", which is all the outstanding months of my current contract all in one go, including all the minutes I'll never be able to use up etc. ...Which is too expensive, again.

Can't you just buy an unlocked phone to use with your current subscription?

Unlocked iP4s cost an absolute shitload, and they won't even be available from day 1... Then again, supply seems to be very low, so who knows when one can get hold of one period, locked or not. :p

Unlocked iP4s cost an absolute shitload, and they won't even be available from day 1... Then again, supply seems to be very low, so who knows when one can get hold of one period, locked or not. :p

You'd think so but i don't think supply is so bad in Europe. I got it next day no questions asked, no backlog and no orders...

Yea, well, you live in London. I assume that region - due to the size of its market - get higher allocations. The (unofficial) Apple store in Göteborg will receive ~12 iPhones on launch day tomorrow according to what they knew when I was there and asked them on tuesday...

Yea, well, you live in London. I assume that region - due to the size of its market - get higher allocations. The (unofficial) Apple store in Göteborg will receive ~12 iPhones on launch day tomorrow according to what they knew when I was there and asked them on tuesday...

La-La Land indeed!

Yup, around 1.000 for whole Denmark as well.

Awesome...

I hope that's a mainland European interpretation of "." and not a English language decimal point!

I would have thought the country gave it away clearly ;)

But let me write it in another way, one thousand units to be available in every region of Denmark.

That's having a laugh.

I would have thought the country gave it away clearly ;)

But let me write it in another way, one thousand units to be available in every region of Denmark.

That's having a laugh.

But you guys are happy people, you don't need an iphone! miserable gits like us, on the other hand need all the help we can get....

Back