Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

Well i got it next day, so much for supply issues!
Still no signal as i'm waiting for my old number to be transferred, so i can't comment on the whole signal thing.
One thing is for sure, the thing is FAST. I mean, you pretty much get over how gorgeous it is quite quickly - especially when you put a case around it, which i reluctantly did to avoid scratches. But the responsiveness, the seemless transitions and animations between applications, pages, menus, without a hint of slowdown (which are plentiful on the Android phones i've had a look at), is all very impressive. And that, for me, is simply the best thing ever. I'm one of those "60fps always!!!11" kind of gamers, and seeing a phone with such a smooth and fast interface is simply bliss.

Now, back to the prettiness... I actually take the case off at times just to marvel at how pretty my prrreciouuuuussss is. Cases are evil. Actually no, things that can potentially scratch my prrreciouuuusss are evil, forcing my to encase it in an ugly, lifeless thing made of... of... i can't even say it....... PLASTIC!

Somehow the music sounds a bit better on the iphone 4 than on my first gen ipod Touch - using the same headphones.

No comments on the screen, yes it is as beautiful as everyone says and more.
Battery life is most definitely not what i'm used to, but at the same time i'm quite impressed. I've been using it non stop all weekend and although the battery did drain quickly, it didn't drain as quickly as i feared. Still, i will need a serious re-think of my charging habits as i'll end up with a lifeless phone often, which will be a problem if i'm out and need to contact someone.

Any questions?

Yes - although you may not be able to answer it as you can't make calls yet (and you may not have the relevant headphones either...), I was wondering how well the Apple headset works, you know the one they launched with the latest iPod Shuffle, with the patented, license-fee-attached microchip thingy there was so much online hullabaloo about briefly.

Since the iPhone4 has this thing about signal reception attached to it, it would make sense to use a headset with it instead so you don't need to hold it in your hand. Bluetooth headsets are kinda cumbersome; another friggin' gadget you need to keep charged, and they're not suited to music, mostly being monaural in nature after all and not optimized for HiFi sound quality, so a corded headset would be more suited to the task... The Apple headset has controls on the cord for volume and answering/hanging up a call I believe, and you know, white is the new black these days (unless you want a white iPhone4, in which case you're scroowd, and not in a good way...)

Also, what's your thoughts about the so-called "retina display"? Do you see any pixel jaggies when holding the phone at a distance where you can comfortably read text?

How is the camera? Many phone cams take images that are quite fuzzy along the edges when viewed at their native rez - comes from crappy optics and tiny el cheapo CCD sensors I believe. Especially in low light. So how is this camera comparing, you think, especially in low light? Does the LED lamp make people blue in their faces? :D

Yes - although you may not be able to answer it as you can't make calls yet (and you may not have the relevant headphones either...), I was wondering how well the Apple headset works, you know the one they launched with the latest iPod Shuffle, with the patented, license-fee-attached microchip thingy there was so much online hullabaloo about briefly.

Since the iPhone4 has this thing about signal reception attached to it, it would make sense to use a headset with it instead so you don't need to hold it in your hand. Bluetooth headsets are kinda cumbersome; another friggin' gadget you need to keep charged, and they're not suited to music, mostly being monaural in nature after all and not optimized for HiFi sound quality, so a corded headset would be more suited to the task... The Apple headset has controls on the cord for volume and answering/hanging up a call I believe, and you know, white is the new black these days (unless you want a white iPhone4, in which case you're scroowd, and not in a good way...)

The headphones that came with the iphone are still in the box... i'll start using them when i can actually use the bloody thing as a phone and not as a second ipod.

Also, what's your thoughts about the so-called "retina display"? Do you see any pixel jaggies when holding the phone at a distance where you can comfortably read text?

It really is quite special. Not only the pixels are tiny, but everything is AA'ed so well that it really is quite difficult to see individual pixels, even with your nose attached to the screen. The screen is just a thing of beauty and you need to spend some time with it to really appreciate it (internet surfing for example).

How is the camera? Many phone cams take images that are quite fuzzy along the edges when viewed at their native rez - comes from crappy optics and tiny el cheapo CCD sensors I believe. Especially in low light. So how is this camera comparing, you think, especially in low light? Does the LED lamp make people blue in their faces? :D

Well... It's a phone camera. Nuff said.
Having said that (and sorry but cameras are more my field so this might delve a bit deep) in low light it behaves rather well: pics are grainy, but the 'nice' kind of grainy. A bit like my Panasonic LX3 which has a nice looking lumincance based grain resembling old pictures (ie the noise is the same colour as the subject but some dots are darker or lighter than they should be) rather than chroma noise which gives away that "digital look" that many phones and many compact cameras have (ie the noise dots are green, red or whatever colour it shouldn't be).

The fact that you can 'tap focus' is cool. I thought it would be a useless gimmick but it does in fact help a lot wrt exposure. Of course the iphone doesn't allow you to play with the DOF, but the tap focus helps in high contrast areas where you can tap on the dark part of the image and the exposure will adjust itself to lighten up that area - while losing detail in the brighter areas obviously. And vice versa. Quick and easy and it just works.

Also very, very impressive is the digital zoom, for what it is. Now, to me having 'digital' and 'zoom' in the same sentence is blasphemy, but i have to admit that, for what it is, it's a damn fine digital zoom. I'm guessing the image processing is a fair bit more advanced than other digital zooms i've seen, mainly on other phones as I've never used DZ on my cameras so i'm not sure how it looks like on there.
Another good thing is that it's darn fast, compared to friends' iphones i've seen. Fast to access the camera feature and very, very fast to take a picture. Love that.

Still, it's a phone. Good for taking pics on the go and put them up on facebook or whatever, but i know i'll never have pics that even come close to my 'real' camera (from what i've seen so far and knowing what can come out of my LX3). The good thing is that it's the camera that's always with you, which is clearly an advantage over my camera. Plus if you have a good eye, you'll take some amazing pictures with whatever you have in your hands, so i'm sure i'll get some impressive pictures from my iphone.

I admit, i have taken only a handful of pictures on it so i reserve the right to retract this whole post! :)

You can get cheap external batteries with the dock connector for like $10 at Monoprice.com.

Don't get suckered into the expensive $50+ cases with integrated battery packs.

LX3 is great (they just announced the LX5) but it's not pocketable.

I would be happy if the phone camera did well at taking pictures of bar codes for those apps. which process bar codes.

I'm going to see what they do with the iPod Touch this year. Retina display and cameras would be nice. There are many games which no longer run on my 3G updated to iOS 4. They keep crashing.

They upgrade about every 2 years.

I think the moment for higher end point and shoot cameras is passing. The activity seems to be around EVIL cameras -- micro four thirds or the Sony NEX cameras with APS C sensors.

Then they're packing in features like in-camera HDR and panos generated from quick panning at capture time.

The headphones that came with the iphone are still in the box...
Ahh, so it comes with a set of phones. Interesting. I assumed Apple would want you to splurge extra for those... ;) Then again, they are pushing their emusic store and all of that, so it would make sense to let people listen to music with their new phone straight out of the box.

It really is quite special. Not only the pixels are tiny, but everything is AA'ed so well that it really is quite difficult to see individual pixels
Interesting, interesting. I guess the screen works well in sunny daylight as well? Does it auto-adjust the backlight intensity perhaps?

Have you tried any 3D graphics apps? I haven't heard anything about the GPU, I believe the A4 SoC used in the iPad has the same GPU and same clock speed as the iPhone 3Gs, but with a much higher rez screen, leading to some jerky 3D updates at times. The iPhone4 A4 SoC's CPU is upclocked compared to the iPad isn't it, but what about the GPU? The "retina" display is lower rez than in the iPad though, so updates shouldn't judder quite as much even if the GPU clock is unchanged compared to the iPhone 3Gs...

Well... It's a phone camera. Nuff said.
Having said that (and sorry but cameras are more my field so this might delve a bit deep) in low light it behaves rather well: pics are grainy, but the 'nice' kind of grainy.
Interesting. I'm rather tired myself of chroma noise in my phone pictures. I suppose the sensor probably is just as noisy at low light as other phone sensors, but image processing turns the chroma noise into luma instead.

Also interesting that the touch-focus feature alters exposure as well, that's awesome. Even if the sensor dynamic range is kinda naff, at least you can make the best out of a bad situation sort of. :)

I'm sure I'm going to have to buy one of these fuckers now, I'm such a technogadget-geeknerd...

Regardless how good the iPhone4 may be though, I'll never start to like quicktime however. It's the offal of the devil.

Ahh, so it comes with a set of phones. Interesting. I assumed Apple would want you to splurge extra for those... ;) Then again, they are pushing their emusic store and all of that, so it would make sense to let people listen to music with their new phone straight out of the box.
It would be crazy for Apple not to include a set of headphones in the box! These ones have the little microphone too.

Interesting, interesting. I guess the screen works well in sunny daylight as well? Does it auto-adjust the backlight intensity perhaps?
Yes and yes. The most amazing thing is that the screen is also very finger-print and smudge-proof. Somehow if i touch my old ipod touch or even my BB, then touch the iphone4, the ipod and BB will show how greasy my fingers are (no comment!), while the iphone is totally fine. Weird but it really helps in the sunlight.

Have you tried any 3D graphics apps?
No sorry!
I haven't heard anything about the GPU, I believe the A4 SoC used in the iPad has the same GPU and same clock speed as the iPhone 3Gs, but with a much higher rez screen, leading to some jerky 3D updates at times.
I'm pretty sure that the higher res screen doesn't necessarily mean that all the graphics will run at native res. In fact there is a lot of scaling and AA involved.
The iPhone4 A4 SoC's CPU is upclocked compared to the iPad isn't it, but what about the GPU? The "retina" display is lower rez than in the iPad though, so updates shouldn't judder quite as much even if the GPU clock is unchanged compared to the iPhone 3Gs...
no idea!

Interesting. I'm rather tired myself of chroma noise in my phone pictures. I suppose the sensor probably is just as noisy at low light as other phone sensors, but image processing turns the chroma noise into luma instead.
Yeah. Still, don't expect miracles!
Also interesting that the touch-focus feature alters exposure as well, that's awesome. Even if the sensor dynamic range is kinda naff, at least you can make the best out of a bad situation sort of. :)
Totally. Very intuitive and useful.
I'm sure I'm going to have to buy one of these fuckers now, I'm such a technogadget-geeknerd...
Tell me about it, i bought it with money i didn't have!
Regardless how good the iPhone4 may be though, I'll never start to like quicktime however. It's the offal of the devil.
what's wrong with quicktime?? :)

Here you go, this was taken in my flat with relatively rubbish light and obviously no flash. Now that i see it in full size and not just the iphone's screen, there is in fact a fair bit of chroma noise right in the middle where it should be just black... it appears as big smudges of colour, instead of millions of pixels of the wrong colours. Kinda helps, but as i said, no miracles here!

img0007f.jpg

iPhone 4 camera has gotten good reviews but obviously still dealing with physical limitations.

Someone made a mod to put a Zeiss lens or something like that? If you're going to have that kind of bulk, you might as well carry a dedicated camera then.

But some podcasters suggested that the camera makers could tether a smartphone, either physically or using BT to a DSLR, then develop an app. to control the camera. Because the UI would be enhanced over whatever the camera makers put on the camera currently.

If you could control focus and exposure of the DSLR (including depth of field) by using the iPhone's touchscreen that would be incredibly sweet. Would pretty much neccessitate a tripod of course, but hell, you can't have everything. :p

Yes and yes. The most amazing thing is that the screen is also very finger-print and smudge-proof. Somehow if i touch my old ipod touch or even my BB, then touch the iphone4, the ipod and BB will show how greasy my fingers are (no comment!), while the iphone is totally fine. Weird but it really helps in the sunlight.

It should come as no surprise as the screen carries an oleophobic coating to minimize fingerprints and smudges.

Yeah, the iPhone has always come standard with the earphones with attached mic and also with the dock for keeping the phone upright when charging and syncing.

Apple changes the processors in their iOS devices every other year and upgrades the clock speeds in between, so the 3GS, iPad, and iPhone 4 all use the SGX535 + Cortex-A8 while the latter two evidently upclock both the GPU and CPU to possibly varying degrees.

Back