Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

Looks cool but I'm more interested in SIM unlocking for the near term.

Plus I will want 4.1 features (mainly Gamecenter) so if I do get iPhone 4, will be in no hurry.

In an attempt to get this back onto the regular B3D track, has anyone seen or done any graphics benchmarking on the iPhone4?

The greatest think about iOS 4 is you can easily disable all cellular data without using airplane mode. I can actually consider getting one to use as a basic phone + iPod again, without having to sign a contract with a data plan, and without jailbreaking or unlocking the phone.

Thank you for the info about jailbreakme.com. It came at a pretty good time for my particular situation.

While I didn't really care to do a jailbreak, I did need an unlock, and existing approaches couldn't work with my slightly malfunctioning iPhone. Using the website for the jailbreak, and the recently published Unlocking Wizard at iClarified -- http://www.iclarified.com/unlock/ -- to sort through the numerous conflicting unlock procedures listed on the web, I finally have my favorite phone back fully.

The greatest think about iOS 4 is you can easily disable all cellular data without using airplane mode. I can actually consider getting one to use as a basic phone + iPod again, without having to sign a contract with a data plan, and without jailbreaking or unlocking the phone.

Supposedly if you buy in the US at contract prices ($199 and $299) you will be required to activate a contract. If you don't, you will get charged the noncontract prices, which start over $600.

But then there are claims that people are buying them in the US to export to countries like China where the iPhone 4 hasn't been released yet.

So not sure how they get around that. Will they even let you buy on cash or without a credit check?

You could buy the iPhone with a contract then activate it then remove the SIM and sell the phone...though you'd still have to pay the monthly data fees for 2 years even if you end up not using the SIM in any other phone. With that said, AFAIK SIMs are not locked to phones. I tried putting my existing flip-phone's sim in a 3GS and it works fine. The iPhone4 however uses the new micro-SIM so I'm not sure if there are any other phones out there that can use those. I've heard that you could cut/trim a standard SIM to fit in the iPhone4's micro-SIM slot...

In 2 years I'll be eligible for a new phone so If I wanted to upgrade I could but I don't have to use the new phone, I could just sell it while I continue to use the new SIM contract with my exisiting phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Supposedly if you buy in the US at contract prices ($199 and $299) you will be required to activate a contract. If you don't, you will get charged the noncontract prices, which start over $600.

But then there are claims that people are buying them in the US to export to countries like China where the iPhone 4 hasn't been released yet.

So not sure how they get around that. Will they even let you buy on cash or without a credit check?

I was thinking about maybe finding a 3GS, since the iPhone 4 price is so high. Starts at $660 here, I think.

I'm still a bit puzzled about the battery draining while on wifi... Phone still on airplane mode, it's been on for a whole day (playing music and stuff) showing hardly any signs of tiredness... But as soon as i turn wifi on, the percentage just takes a hammering. And that's without me actually using the internet connection, it's just sitting there doing nothing.
Can Push notifications (FB and Gmail) drain it so much in such a short time??

It's still at 45% charge with 7hour usage and 1day1hour standby, but it went down from around 60% to 45% in a couple of hours when i turned on wifi.

Now that it's off again it's stabilised.

I'm still a bit puzzled about the battery draining while on wifi... Phone still on airplane mode, it's been on for a whole day (playing music and stuff) showing hardly any signs of tiredness... But as soon as i turn wifi on, the percentage just takes a hammering. And that's without me actually using the internet connection, it's just sitting there doing nothing.
Can Push notifications (FB and Gmail) drain it so much in such a short time??

It's still at 45% charge with 7hour usage and 1day1hour standby, but it went down from around 60% to 45% in a couple of hours when i turned on wifi.

Now that it's off again it's stabilised.

Why don't you disable Push Notification and tell us.

When you have tested with Push Notifications off, try and enable it just for Facebook, then Gmail and lastly for both.

Push email and notification can drain the battery pretty fast.

All smart phones with fast processors and big screens just aren't going to last as long on a charge as a standard phone, even those with browsers (but smaller screens and slower processors).

Something like the Evo is suppose to have horrible battery life. iPhone 4 is suppose to be better than its predecessor with a bigger battery. Yet when you quit an application but it's still resident in that little task bar, it may be also drawing down battery life, even if they're not necessarily doing things like streaming.

Backgrounder is a free jailbreak app that does a great job of managing background apps. Keeps memory and CPU free which in turn helps out battery life.

Jaikbreaking this phone is really a must for any tech oriented person.

Little update on the i4 signal...
I simply cannot replicate the 'death grip' phenomenon. my office was probably built with kryptonite (or something) cause no one's phone works properly here. I get 1 bar, maybe 2 when i'm lucky, and still, deathgripping the i4 does not make the signal drop any further... Not sure what the fuss was all about.
Having said that, i have the feeling that the number of bars has no correlation whatsoever with being able to use data services.
What i mean is, calls and texts are always fine (and i very, very rarely get no signal, it usually stays at 1 bar which is fine for calls and texts) however data services are a bit unstable when on Edge: i might have 1 bar and i can get on the net, then 3 bars and i can't, then 1 bar and i still can't and so on and so forth. Very odd. The phone still makes calls but it just won't connect to the net, even with 3 or more bars on Edge.
If i have a 3G signal, then it doesn't matter how many bars i have, it usually works mighty fine.

Well the 4.0.1 update is suppose to make the bar display more accurate. But it's relative, as one bar on a different model means different signal level than 1 bar on an iPhone.

I've heard that it's not as big a problem in other countries, which presumably have better networks.

But you could do speed tests under different reception/location conditions to see how the data is affected.

Well the 4.0.1 update is suppose to make the bar display more accurate. But it's relative, as one bar on a different model means different signal level than 1 bar on an iPhone.

I've heard that it's not as big a problem in other countries, which presumably have better networks.

But you could do speed tests under different reception/location conditions to see how the data is affected.

I do have the update and the issue is that the i4 will (or will not) connect to the net without any relation to how many bars it shows... Go figure.

If you're only getting Edge in an area with coverage for 3G, your signal strength is probably close enough to the threshhold for transition that your phone keeps trying to switch between the two bands. Like switching between cellular and WiFi, this transition can interrupt the current connection and can make it seem like data services aren't working.

It's usually better to have the slower of two overlapping connections than to keep phasing between them.

If you're only getting Edge in an area with coverage for 3G, your signal strength is probably close enough to the threshhold for transition that your phone keeps trying to switch between the two bands. Like switching between cellular and WiFi, this transition can interrupt the current connection and can make it seem like data services aren't working.

It's usually better to have the slower of two overlapping connections than to keep phasing between them.

Surely the phone should be 'smart' enough to sort that out instead of just cutting me off like that, right? :???:

Saw an iP4 ad on a Swedish website today and clicked it just for the heck of it. The details aren't really important except for the small print, which stated 4 weeks delivery time! :LOL:

/facepalm...

Back