Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

The 720p is just one more reason I'm with Ms's eco system than apples. I get 1080p on my zune software which will play on my xbox 360. When i travel i can put 720p eps on my zune to out put the video to tvs or i can use my laptop and stream the 1080p if i wnat to go through the process of seting that up to the tv.

The reason apple did 720p is simple. They want to sell you a1080p box next year or the year after and then want oyu to buy hte higher quality videos.

The 720p is just one more reason I'm with Ms's eco system than apples. I get 1080p on my zune software which will play on my xbox 360. When i travel i can put 720p eps on my zune to out put the video to tvs or i can use my laptop and stream the 1080p if i wnat to go through the process of seting that up to the tv.

The reason apple did 720p is simple. They want to sell you a1080p box next year or the year after and then want oyu to buy hte higher quality videos.

Does 1080p really matter on your mobile devices?

No reason to be dim, this is a $99 product that is selling to ordinary consumers. They don't have a fast enough internet connection (and are probably limited by the amount of data they can download any given month) to stream 1080p.

If anything, the reason for staying at 720p is because of bandwidth limitations rather than technical reasons.

I am pretty sure the new Apple TV can stream and playback 1080p content hardware-wise.

The product may seem lacking with our "geek"-glasses on but that is to be expected.

720P isn't much of a biggie really. It's still a sharp image, much better than DVD, and has much less bandwidh demands than 1080P. People are overinflating this issue because hating on Apple is a very popular pastime in some circles of the internet. Easy solution is just don't buy it if it doesn't fit your needs, endlessly bagging on the damn thing on forums is just dumb.

I'm very curious about the new Nano myself. The clip on the rear is a stroke of genius. Just wish it didn't have that POS Apple dock connector at the bottom of the unit, breaking up the sharp lines of the design. USB is enough as far as connectivity goes, and Apple has been doing that through the headphones jack for years now; very slick solution if I may say so. They should have stuck with that for the new Nano also especially as it doesn't play video anymore, making most of the dock completely redundant. If you absolutely have to connect it to a dock, Apple could have included a small adaptor for the headphones jack instead.

I'd be happy if it did 1080p for the stream slide shows and I can stream 1080p content to it on the local network.

But is the A4 GPU capable of it?

I'd be happy if it did 1080p for the stream slide shows and I can stream 1080p content to it on the local network.

But is the A4 GPU capable of it?
http://blog.gsmarena.com/iphone-4-now-plays-1080p-videos-easily-does-some-xviddivx-magic-too/

Apparently it is. The trick seems to be to get video files on the iPhone 4 without iTunes, which would otherwise limit transfers to 720p. The A4 itself reportedly plays 1080p files just fine once they are transferred over with third-party software, Filer in this case. I haven't tried it myself, although with only a 2nd gen iPod Touch it probably wouldn't work so well.

SGX isn't tasked with the video decoding on an A4 although the core was designed to be quite capable at assisting if a licensee wanted that.

VXD is the one for the job, and a stream of 1080p is downright insulting to its capabilities.

This is how FPS games on pure touch devices should work...moving the angle of the phone moves the first person camera view.

Back