Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

There are reports of crowds being turned away from some countries, like New Zealand.

Seems like supply is nowhere near demand. Maybe Antennagate helped perk up interest.

You wonder which component is causing the supply shortages. The screen?

There are reports of crowds being turned away from some countries, like New Zealand.

Seems like supply is nowhere near demand. Maybe Antennagate helped perk up interest.

You wonder which component is causing the supply shortages. The screen?

What else can it be, there isn't much else that's radically different from previous iphones...

What else can it be, there isn't much else that's radically different from previous iphones...

Well, all new silicon under the hood.

I think the companies that supplies the glass and displays, as well as flash ram, are having problems keeping up with both the iPhone and iPad, As Apple said themselves, they fly of the shelves as fast as they can produce them.

Only a 1,000 phones for Denmark? The Apple store in Eaton Centre, Toronto probably sold more full price unlocked no contract units by now.

And damn cheap price too relative to some of the unlocked phones I've paid for.

Well, Toronto alone has somewhere around half the combined population of all of the nation of Denmark...maybe more. Probably explains a thing or two! ;)

Bit of an update and questions about battery life...

Last night i charged the i4 in full, and this morning i got up and it showed 66%. I went into Settings/Usage and it showed around 8 hours of standby... So the battery 'lost' a third of its charge just with 8 hours of standby and no use at all...

This was with wi-fi and 3G on, but the phone is not activated yet so i'm thinking it's been looking for a signal all night without finding it. Would that kill battery more quickly?

Now, thinking about that i turned off wifi and also put the phone on Airplane mode. I've been listening to music the whole day, and now it shows 52% charge but after 6h20m of 'usage' and 13.5h standby...

Crazy!
I do hope that the battery is draining quickly because the phone keeps looking for a signal, because when i finally do activate it, i wouldn't want to get 20-odd hours of standby out of it (and a couple of hours of usage) just because it's connected to the outside world...

This was with wi-fi and 3G on, but the phone is not activated yet so i'm thinking it's been looking for a signal all night without finding it. Would that kill battery more quickly?

Yes. Network/signal searches are quite expensive in terms of power.

Yes. Network/signal searches are quite expensive in terms of power.

A-HA! That does explain a lot.
I'll update you guys after friday when, after 3 weeks, my iphone will finally be activated.
PS: Now it's at 7h usage (all ipod music playing really) and 14h10m, with battery at 51%...

I just looked at my iphone4, with ios4.01

Usage:23 minutes
Standby: 7hrs 38minutes.

Battery is showing @ 96%

Thats with wifi and bluetooth on, only on 2G (no 3G in my area).

On my phone the WiFi and 3G are always on yet the phone loses less than 5% battery charge overnight while in sleep/locked mode with the screen off.. I'm guessing london-boy's problem could be that it's not activated yet or some other issue as it does not sound normal at all.

Yeah, as he was suspecting, the process of searching for or switching between a network is more costly than just maintaining a connection to one.

The iPhone can effectively be turned into an iPod touch by switching on Airplane mode and then switching WiFi back on by itself, which isn't as big of a loss as it could be if you have WiFi access at home or some other convenient access. That's what I'm dong with mine right now since I left AT&T.

Yeah, as he was suspecting, the process of searching for or switching between a network is more costly than just maintaining a connection to one.

Yeah but is it THAT much more costly? From a 5% loss on Rudecurve's i4 to around 30% on mine?
Last night i got home, turned wifi on and i saw the percentage go down with my own eyes from around 30% to 15% in the space of a couple of hours...

L-B, did you switch on airplane mode like other poster mentioned? No need for your phone's GSM radios to be active if you can't even make any calls yet. ;)

Well, I've got it. The best display I've ever seen in terms of resolution - I truly have the feeling of looking at printed text. Battery life is surprisingly good, I hate having to baby a mobile device like some bloody tamagochi so this is very important to me. Everything is immediately responsive, which is so important for flow/naturalness in an interface.

I've already spent more than I anticipated in the App Store.
Reception is great where I live, but this of course is dependent on both carrier and location.

I don't like to switch this kind of gear, so I'll keep this one for a few years to come. I think I will be happy.

Oh my god, a colleague just dropped his i4 and the screen completely shattered :oops:
Two days old iphone. Poor thing.
Didn't they say it's as indestructible as Wolverine's metal bones, or something?

gorilla glass on the front is suppose to be stronger than aluminum or something like that?

But the glass in the back isn't gorilla glass.

So I performed Jailbreak last night and installed the follow apps:

SBSsettings: A quick access to toggle wifi/3g/data/bluetooth/brightness and a host of other options. It's the most popular jail break app, I believe.

5 Icon Dock: As it states, 5 icons on the dock instead of 4

My3G: Wifi only apps like Facetime are tricked into going over 3G. You can pick and choose which apps does this.

MyWi: Tethering for your iphone. Keep your unlimited dataplan from ATT and give them the finger.

Lockinfo: This is awesome. Push notifications to your lock screen. Makes the useless lock screen into a hub of info. There are a few plug ins you can add to this and each one can be customized to your needs. Basically, this is a must have and much more important for me than any of the other apps I mentioned. I don't want to dumb it down to simply "notifications." In truth, the lock screen is now a dashboard for the current activities on my phone.

ClockHide: Gets rid of the giant clock on the lock screen so that Lockinfo can take over the full screen. Don't get lock info without this.

20secondlock: Keeps the lock screen displayed for 20seconds so you have plenty of time to look at your Lockinfo dashboard.

From jailbreaking to learing which apps to install and customizing them to my needs, the whole process took me around 2 hours. Since then, I've been tweaking various aspects and experienced no crashes or lock ups. I had a 3G before that I performed a jailbreak on. Unfortunately, there were not enough system resources for a smooth experience. This is no longer the case. My phone is just as fast but clearly more functional. Battery life is also not effected. I'd recommend jailbreaking an Iphone4 for anyone looking for customization options.

Here's an example of a custom lock screen:
1970b3664437418052e81c9fa60e3c99-320x480.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back