Obligatory iPhone 4 Thread...

You can find videos on Youtube of other smart phones seeing signal drops, including those which predate the release of the iPhone 4 or even its announcement.

The bigger conspiracy theory would be that Apple organised those videos and posted them before they even announced the iPhone 4 to cover themselves later and let us go "oooh look, this video was heer even before the new iphone came out!" o_O
;)

You can find videos on Youtube of other smart phones seeing signal drops, including those which predate the release of the iPhone 4 or even its announcement.

Well, videos will show you the bars, which really means nothing. I don't think there's any standard as to how the signal bars are displayed. There's no mystery here. All phones are affected by the way you hold them. It's just a matter of how much they're affected, and whether you would even notice it as a user. Apple is definitely doing damage control here, but I have a feeling people are getting too preoccupied with the bars rather than whether their experience with the phone is actually hindered.

Other phone manufacturers fire back:

The makers of those phones, as might be expected, aren't happy.

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable. Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation," wrote RIM co-CEOs Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie in a statement obtained by CrackBerry.

"The reception problems are certainly not common among smartphones," HTC CFO Hui-Meng Cheng told the Wall Street Journal, adding "[Apple] apparently didn't give operators enough time to test the phone."

Samsung VP of mobile communications Hwan Kim released a statement that his company "hasn't received significant customer feedbacks on any signal reduction issue for the Omnia II." Kim added that: "Reception problems have not happened so far, and there is no room for such problems to happen in the future.”

Nokia and Motorola weren't specific targets of Jobs' "All smartphone have problems" argument, but they chimed in as well.

Nokia, the world's largest mobile phone manufacturer, issued a statement obtained by PocketLint that took a dig at Apple's focus on style: "As you would expect from a company focused on connecting people, we prioritize antenna performance over physical design if they are ever in conflict."

Motorola's co-CEO Sanjay Jha told the WSJ that his company's testing showed what testers such as those for Anandtech have discovered: that the iPhone 4 suffers from greater attenuation than comparable phones when held.

Of all the responding phone companies, however, RIM's response was the most heated. "Apple clearly made certain design decisions," wrote Lazaridis and Balsillie, "and it should take responsibility for these decisions rather than trying to draw RIM and others into a situation that relates specifically to Apple."

Well, videos will show you the bars, which really means nothing. I don't think there's any standard as to how the signal bars are displayed. There's no mystery here. All phones are affected by the way you hold them. It's just a matter of how much they're affected, and whether you would even notice it as a user. Apple is definitely doing damage control here, but I have a feeling people are getting too preoccupied with the bars rather than whether their experience with the phone is actually hindered.

There have been several HTC, blackberry, etc handsets that do drop calls when handle incorrectly in areas without strong signal.

Speaking of Motorola, wtf happened to the whole Razr craze? Did they run out of money and talent?

BTW nice find london-boy haha all of those phones got completely OWNED!! Anyway even though the iPhone 4 also dropped signal at least the phone does it with style compared to the other fugly phones.:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway even though the iPhone 4 also dropped signal at least the phone does it with style compared to the other fugly phones.:LOL:
It does look GOOD, yes.

Apple has a very strong design aesthetic these days. Well, they've had it for a long time now really, but they still manage to keep their focus in this regard, and that's commendable.

So many cell phones these days have SO many buttons, I just look at my own current "slider" style phone and there's seven push buttons on the front face (not including the number keypad itself), plus a four-direction ring, six more buttons on the right side and another on the left. Sheesh.

Apple's company policies on the other hand really could be a lot better though, and their pricing isn't nearly as user friendly as their design typically is... ;)

They charge what the market will bear. iPhone keeps its price until the next model is introduced a year later.

Droids were offered as buy-one-get-one deals like 3-4 months after release and then outright discounted 50% from the release price.

Maybe iPhone would sell better throughout its lifecycle if it were discounted in the months leading up to the intro. of the next model.

Well i really don't care about the politics involved and the absolutely crazy amount of coverage this thing has had.
But i can honestly say that in my office, where i'm sitting right now, if i hold my BB Curve i get no signal, maybe one bar if i'm lucky but mostly it's zero - and won't connect to anything, calls or internet. And if i just put it on my desk and leave it there, it shows 2 or 3 bars.
It's something i always noticed and i just thought it was normal - and it is - so i have no idea why Apple got so much stick for it.
At the same time, my colleague's iphone 4 has a lot more signal ("working signal", not just bars, it actually works), whether i hold it or not, in the same spot. Go figure.

their pricing isn't nearly as user friendly as their design typically is... ;)

Well the price is dictated by the market, demand and supply. :D
They sold 1.7M of these things in the first 3 days, 3M as at today. I'm sure that they could have sold them at an even higher price and demand would not have suffered - as they still can't meet demand at the current price.

Jobs came across as ungracious when he said people want to tear you down when you're at the top.

It's absolutely true (not just the criticisms but also all the lawsuits) but he didn't need to say it because it comes across as whining.

And it appeared to people that he was trying to say all phones have the problems, which they do to varying degrees. But the competitors had to deny it.

I couldn't resist.... i ordered a 32GB one through Vodafone!! And it should come tomorrow, which is strange. I thought they couldn't keep up with demand?

Costing me a friggin fortune!

Make sure you equip it with this safety feature: iPhone Antenna Decal :LOL:

The iPhone4 goes on sale at the end of the month over here, I'm mighty friggin' tempted to get one regardless of the cost (and regardless of Apple's asshattery in general) I must say. It's a great smartphone, with great software available for it and more coming every day. My ISP launched an app a couple days ago that lets me access my cloud backup via the iPhone now for example.

Apple just released iOS 4.0.1 a few days ago that updates the signal bar algorithm.

I'm using Dropbox as my cloud backup app. It's free to use if you don't need more than 2GB, optionally you could pay and they give you more storage. The iPhone is all about the Apps, downloaded a bunch of them already in the few days of owning the phone.

On a side note I finally have a use for the iPod interface on my Alpine car stereo, been using a USB flash drive all this time.

The iPhone is all about the Apps
Yeah, and the ergonomics, features and the form factor, and even the design... It's simply a very well-rounded package.

MS's mobile7 has some good ideas on the useability and ergonomics front with the very nice and clean panels-based interface they designed, but I'm not sure it will be able to compete on the whole with iOS4, which is a much more mature package by now. It certainly can't compete on the apps front, as they have zero apps right now (and no hardware for sale either for that matter)...

I'm also suspicious with regards to how mobile7 hardware will look. iPhone4 is almost ideal in my eyes with regards to its design aesthetics. Very clean lines, no superflous details or unneccessary buttons. Mobile7 hardware vendors would have to work very hard indeed to top that.

I'm looking forward to the release of iOS 4.1, with Gamecenter, so there's a unified login, achievements, matchmaking, all centralized.

And iPod Touch in September should have Retina Display, maybe cameras, certainly the gyro. Maybe a higher-clocked SOC, which they've done in the past.

Oh god i'm so stupid, i kind of forgot i had a contract with Orange with an early termination fee :runaway:
So on top of the extortionate price i paid for the iPhone, i have to shell out another £200!
DOH!!!!

Oh god i'm so stupid, i kind of forgot i had a contract with Orange with an early termination fee :runaway:
So on top of the extortionate price i paid for the iPhone, i have to shell out another £200!
DOH!!!!

Which begs the question, why didn't you just buy the phone unlocked?

Seeing as you are from the UK ...

Back