nVnews shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quitch said:
Bjorn said:
What's wrong with the Halo conclusion ?

He goes from a Radeon 9xxx Pro to a GeForce FX, a card which is known to have inferior capabilities when it comes to PS2.0. He then concludes that the equal framerate means you can't improve there till next gen, failing to take into account that only a move to a new processor and a 9800 XT with no change would have shown that. Even then you could have concluded it was the CPU not the GPU that led to the boost.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-09.html

I don't see the huge improvements in speed just by going to a 9800 XT.

Hellbinder said:
After a Solid year of More or Less Peacefull Coexsistence there I was Summerily Banned for no apparent reason whatsoever. I was not posting there nearly as often and was surely not being Troubblesome.

No wonder you dissapeared, you were always good to get people in a tizzy :) But seriously I thought you had become less inflamatory not more when you got banned..

Sazar said:
just was hoping that I coulda resolved this by way of pm but there appears to be no response so hence I trudge on unwillingly :(
What you sent me, whilst being kindly intended, was what amounted to a statement condemning my actions and opinions.

I didn't see a single question in there other than "how could you do this sort of thing" types which I've already tried to explain but you keep dismissing as delusional, I didn't see the point of a reply. :(

digitalwanderer said:
Sazar said:
just was hoping that I coulda resolved this by way of pm but there appears to be no response so hence I trudge on unwillingly :(
What you sent me, whilst being kindly intended, was what amounted to a statement condemning my actions and opinions.

I didn't see a single question in there other than "how could you do this sort of thing" types which I've already tried to explain but you keep dismissing as delusional, I didn't see the point of a reply. :(

?

I don't condone threads like this started all over the place... no.. I am sorry if you were looking for me to cheer you on for this...

I pm'd addressing other issues as well... if you don't wish to respond fair enough... that is not upto me...

digitalwanderer said:
Bjorn said:

That chart is pretty outdated, cat 3.9s vs 52.16 forceware. :rolleyes:

Besides, I think it's against the rules here to use either [T]'s or [A]'s stuff as proof of anything except possible IHV bias. :|

How about posting link to a review that supposedly isn't biased, uses the latest drivers and which shows the 9800 XT outperform the 5950 Ultra by a large margin then (in Halo of course) ?

(i'm not saying that it doesn't exist, just that i prefer to have some evidence rather then just "that chart is pretty outdated... Tom is biased..")

Things have changed at NVnews around the time the NEW SERVER was put in. AT the time the server was down, there was a message on the front page saying thank Nvidia for out new server and our foums will be up soon. After about a hour the message was gone.

Bjorn said:
digitalwanderer said:
Bjorn said:

That chart is pretty outdated, cat 3.9s vs 52.16 forceware. :rolleyes:

Besides, I think it's against the rules here to use either [T]'s or [A]'s stuff as proof of anything except possible IHV bias. :|

How about posting link to a review that supposedly isn't biased, uses the latest drivers and which shows the 9800 XT outperform the 5950 Ultra by a large margin then (in Halo of course) ?

(i'm not saying that it doesn't exist, just that i prefer to have some evidence rather then just "that chart is pretty outdated... Tom is biased..")

for you bjorn.. am on my lunch break so bear with me here :D

http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/fx5950ultra/7.html

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/fx5950ultra-9800xt_12.html

amongst others...

I gave up when I saw the same pattern everywhere...

clearly now there will be more screams of ultimate bias and what not by these particular sites as well in some peoples minds :rolleyes:

Quitch said:
He goes from a Radeon 9xxx Pro to a GeForce FX, a card which is known to have inferior capabilities when it comes to PS2.0. He then concludes that the equal framerate means you can't improve there till next gen, failing to take into account that only a move to a new processor and a 9800 XT with no change would have shown that. Even then you could have concluded it was the CPU not the GPU that led to the boost.
That sums up my bitch about it quite nicely, thanks. :)

{Sniping}Waste said:
Things have changed at NVnews around the time the NEW SERVER was put in. AT the time the server was down, there was a message on the front page saying thank Nvidia for out new server and our foums will be up soon. After about a hour the message was gone.
REALLY?!?!? :oops:

Now this is the first I've heard of this! THIS would be a damning bit of a coincidence.

Do you remember if their was a name attached to that? Or was it just a general announcement?

Sazar said:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/fx5950ultra-9800xt_12.html

amongst others...

I gave up when I saw the same pattern everywhere...

clearly now there will be more screams of ultimate bias and what not by these particular sites as well in some peoples minds :rolleyes:

Ok, I let Xbit labs 'plain it to ya then Sazar since you don't trust me no more:

Xbit Labs from the link Sazar posted said:
Well, the results of applied optimizations seem to be more than evident. NVIDIA graphics cards perform as fast as ATI based ones. However, they owe these good results not only to the shaders optimizing compiler. On NVIDIA GeForce FX graphics cards, the Halo graphics engine uses half-precision pixel shaders 2.0, which provides the NVIDIA GPUs with some performance advantages.

However, I didn’t reveal any issues caused by these pixel shaders optimizations or any calculations precision worsening. The only remark here is that sometimes some objects of the scenes appear to have no fog around them.

They're running the shaders in partial precision compared to ATi running 'em right, it ain't apples to oranges. :rolleyes:

Sazar said:
I am glad you find it amusing digi... reinforces many things that are self-evident now...
Almost everything can be amusing if you look at it right, I try very hard to look at things in the right way like that. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Sazar said:
I am glad you find it amusing digi... reinforces many things that are self-evident now...
Almost everything can be amusing if you look at it right, I try very hard to look at things in the right way like that. :)

I don't find it amusing that you continually start shit about things you don't think are right... even when you look @ the facts as they stand...

Sazar said:
I don't find it amusing that you continually start shit about things you don't think are right... even when you look @ the facts as they stand...
How could I think things aren't right without looking at the facts as they stand? I'd think that would be worse. :|

Here. I took your advice and started a thread about my issues with nVnews over at nVnews...wanna take bets on how long it will last? ;)

BTW-For those avoiding nVnews, I wrote:

I got some issues with nVnews... (<----Thread title)

...and I was advised in this thread I started over at Beyond3D titled "nVnews shenanigans" about Chambers rather misleading benchmark scores on his front page that if I had grievances with something at nVnews than I should complain about it at nVnews.

So here I am.

I found the chart to be misleading and not representative of ANYTHING other than how much better one system was than another. Someone else over at B3D summed up my grievances with MikeC's chart better than I could, so I quote:

Also in that thread, a friend of mine posted this up:

Is this true? If so, why was the message pulled and just where did the new server come from?

Those are my issues, I tried to present them as non-flamey as possible in hopes they will actually be addressed rather than this thread closed and locked. I made the attempt, the ball is in your court now.

I hope I do get some responses.

oh me so clever :oops:

Seriously, I was looking at the technical aspects of the comparison -- it was done incorrectly regardless the cause; be it lazyness or i-don't-give-a-crap-it's-my-new-system. That was the main point of my post. Since it's a hardware website any comparison for that matter should be done professionally to avoid any sort of confusion.

If you deny that, there is something wrong with you really.

REALLY?!?!?

Now this is the first I've heard of this! THIS would be a damning bit of a coincidence.

Do you remember if their was a name attached to that? Or was it just a general announcement?

It was general announcement.

This has been bothering me for awile. If this is true then the server or the money for one came with a string atached.
Spelling!

{Sniping}Waste said:
REALLY?!?!?

This has been bothering me for awile. If this is true then the server or the money for one came with a string atached.
Spelling!

let me jump in here real quick and introduce myself (in case you don't know who i am)... My name's Joerg Battermann, and I am the guy administrating the nvNews server, but I am -independant- from nvNews AND Nvidia. Mike paid me whenever he needed my work and so does he for the server. I made suggestions where he would get a good one, he paid for it.. not Nvidia. Nvidia has -nothing- to do with the server itself, it's mike that pays the bills, and me who keeps it running. And I do know who logs in and has access to the server.. and who not.

This brings me to the next point... this 'message', that someone said showed up just for an hour on the nvNews main page, stating that Nvidia pays for all this etc etc - this is NOT the case - Period. I did the move and I know when what was put online or not.. and since there are no payments involved from Nvidia, why would -I- or Mike... the only 2 people who -might- have access (actually just I did) to the server during this time.. post this message? Mike paid me directly, so does he for the Server,

In case you have any more questions (bear with my bad grammar etc.. i am -tired³-), ask here, via pm or e-mail... send a "message in a bottle", carrier pigeon or whatsoever...

sincerely,
-joerg battermann

hope that clears things up so they don't bother you anymore...

Sazar said:
{Sniping}Waste said:
REALLY?!?!?

Spelling!

let me jump in here real quick and introduce myself (in case you don't know who i am)... My name's Joerg Battermann, and I am the guy administrating the nvNews server, but I am -independant- from nvNews AND Nvidia. Mike paid me whenever he needed my work and so does he for the server. I made suggestions where he would get a good one, he paid for it.. not Nvidia. Nvidia has -nothing- to do with the server itself, it's mike that pays the bills, and me who keeps it running. And I do know who logs in and has access to the server.. and who not.

This brings me to the next point... this 'message', that someone said showed up just for an hour on the nvNews main page, stating that Nvidia pays for all this etc etc - this is NOT the case - Period. I did the move and I know when what was put online or not.. and since there are no payments involved from Nvidia, why would -I- or Mike... the only 2 people who -might- have access (actually just I did) to the server during this time.. post this message? Mike paid me directly, so does he for the Server,

In case you have any more questions (bear with my bad grammar etc.. i am -tired³-), ask here, via pm or e-mail... send a "message in a bottle", carrier pigeon or whatsoever...

sincerely,
-joerg battermann

hope that clears things up so they don't bother you anymore...

Have you cheeked out if Nvidia paid Mike the money to get a new server?
Mike could have got paid from Nvidia and then paid this guy that way.

Edit
I did see the general announcement and it was gone in less then a hour when the fourms were down from the server setup. That is FACTED!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back