nvidia:rsx complete.

ACSS issue is going to be resolved long before PS3 is released considering it's being used for HD DVD which officially launches end of March.

NANOTEC said:
ACSS issue is going to be resolved long before PS3 is released considering it's being used for HD DVD which officially launches end of March.

Did you not get the memo? Both HDDVD and BDROM are delayed because of the ACSS mess :D

london-boy said:
Did you not get the memo? Both HDDVD and BDROM are delayed because of the ACSS mess :D

The next opportunity for finalisation is next week. It's not like they're hanging around for a couple of months before trying again ;)

london-boy said:
You watch... ;)

Well I'm not laying any bets as to when it will be finalised :p Just that there's a short turnaround between attempts. It would not surprise me if it was a ploy on the part of the BDA to delay HD-DVD to April, since Blu-ray won't be ready till then anyway.

edit - things would appear to be back on track anyway, as per Nanotec's link!

Last edited by a moderator:
Titanio said:
No it wouldn't, because it was not ready.

The only people joking are those expecting a completely off-the-wall G80 hybrid or something. The most logical expectation is for what Sony has announced - a G70 based chip for PS3.

sure I'm not expecting a modified G80, and sure I'm not expecting a modified G70, it's simple !

Knowing Sony, they will never release PS3 with a customized one year old PC GPU, they would never ! The RSX will be a different GPU, sharing similarities with the G70, but it doesn't mean it will be a tweaked G70 ! I'm ready to bet with everyone here, you can quote me on that :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bliss said:
sure I'm not expecting a modified G80, and sure I'm not expecting a modified G70, it's simple !

Knowing Sony, they will never release PS3 with a customized one year old PC GPU, they would never ! The RSX will be a different GPU, sharing similarities with the G70, but it doesn't mean it will be a tweaked G70 ! I'm ready to bet with everyone here, you can quote me on that :)

Well its different but not ATIs Xenos/R5x "difference" some people still belive.
Should be interesting to see if theres something that we dont know already.

Nicked said:
Not really. Whilst a G70 is definitely ~ Xenos in both power and release timeframe, Sony needs a 90nm part with very good yields first and foremost for this console that'll be selling ~20M units a year. They also need time to get everything else sorted like BR+HDMI with the respective consortiums still bickering over finalising specifications, and all the other cutting-edge things they've included need to become cheaper and/or increase in yields (CELL/XDR etc.).
Expectations need to be reined in by most, although pessimism shouldn't overtake either.
Wait and see is the only correct option right now.

you didn't get my point :) ...or...you were so near in the first line...
...Sony would never release their console with a tweaked one year old PC GPU, that's my opinion, and I don't see them releasing a PS3 equal in power to a MS console, released months ago...the only way I see Sony releasing a console equal in power to a major competitor, is releasing it at the same time !

msia2k75 said:
Because you do know them?

I mean Sony philosophy...it's not a secret...they like innovation...

...do you think a tweaked G70 is innovation...in the next 2,3,6 months ?

Bliss said:
I mean Sony philosophy...it's not a secret...they like innovation...

...do you think a tweaked G70 is innovation...in the next 2,3,6 months ?

It's not like a tweaked G70 would be a bad thing?

Bliss said:
you didn't get my point :) ...or...you were so near in the first line...
...Sony would never release their console with a tweaked one year old PC GPU, that's my opinion, and I don't see them releasing a PS3 equal in power to a MS console, released months ago...the only way I see Sony releasing a console equal in power to a major competitor, is releasing it at the same time !
Sony already thinks they have the most powerful console. With CELL and comparable GPUs, they probably do. Do they care if the end result is ~>noticeably different? Not if it doesn't help their bottom line at the end of the consoles life.

Sony already has the image of the most powerful console in most peoples minds, they'll reiterate that point at E3 -disparity in actual games or not be damned- and call it a marketing job well done.

Anyway, my turn to reiterate - just have patience and wait.

Bliss said:
Knowing Sony, they will never release PS3 with a customized one year old PC GPU, they would never !

Why not if it's the best technology available to them?

Things have changed. nVidia and ATi are by far the best at what they do right now. G7x technology is the best nVidia has got. So you know, there's little or no reason why they wouldn't include such technology in PS3, it is worthy.

Titanio said:
Why not if it's the best technology available to them?

Things have changed. nVidia and ATi are by far the best at what they do right now. G7x technology is the best nVidia has got. So you know, there's little or no reason why they wouldn't include such technology in PS3, it is worthy.

don't get me wrong, sure the RSX shares a lot of G7x technology, but I don't see it "just a tweaked G70"...only that....however let's wait and see....it's only my opinion...

Bliss said:
don't get me wrong, sure the RSX shares a lot of G7x technology, but I don't see it "just a tweaked G70"...only that....however let's wait and see....it's only my opinion...

Lets be honest here, you are expecting something way beyond G70 but there's a great chance you will be disappointed! :)

msia2k75 said:
Lets be honest here, you are expecting something way beyond G70 but there's a great chance you will be disappointed! :)

But like I said It's not like a tweaked G70 would be a bad thing heh...

msia2k75 said:
But like I said It's not like a tweaked G70 would be a bad thing heh...
Yeah....
...thinking of it as "just a tweaked G70" (wtf "just"?!) gives a negative connotation that you wouldn't get if you thought..."even better than a G70{!}" - viewed like this its not only plausible its exceptional really, IMO.

That is to assume it is tweaked at all, which we don't know! ;)

Back