nvidia:rsx complete.

How can anyone consider a G70 gpu to be some type of disadvantage? It's an incredible piece of technology. Imagine what devs can do with "only a G70" in a closed environment.

The psychosis of fan people boggles the mind.

I'd be happy with an extra Quad and the ability to do HDR+AA at the same time.

And maybe there will be somthing in there for PS2 backwards compat ;)

NRP said:
How can anyone consider a G70 gpu to be some type of disadvantage? It's an incredible piece of technology. Imagine what devs can do with "only a G70" in a closed environment.

The psychosis of fan people boggles the mind.

It just amazes me also all this talk with a 550 MHz G70 not being good enough. Such a chip is a monster, and to see what developers will get out of it over the years will be interesting to say the least.

If people think a G70 is not good enough, than the amount of memory, and CELL must not be good enough also! 1 GB and 16 SPE's on CELL certainly is better, right? Having an extra 8 SPE would only require 170 million more transistors, which is well inline with the increases some people are expecting with RSX when indicating 450 million transistors.

What i think RSX will be :

-90nm G70 @ 550mhz
-28ps ( maybe a 32 pipe design with a quad disabled )
-Flexi/o interface
-Strategicly placed cache's to help RSX deal with the extreme amount of though-put it will be getting from Cell
-An increased turbo cache to help wth PS2 backwards compatability

Anything else that is reasonable that i forgot??

EDIT : could RSX use more ROP's??? or am i being silly??;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Speculation time !!!

I think G70 is powerful enough. Most of the rework would be:

* Flexio integration and memory access optimization (e.g., local storage to optimize NUMA setup: Minimize trip to main memory, fewer main memory access hops, low level libraries to "unifiy" GDDR + XDR pools, backward compatiblity)

* More AV features to do some of the PVR, DLNA stuff (to enable minimal backgrounding capability like watch and record at the same time). This would allow Sony to reserve 1 SPE and then tap on separate hardware circuitry on RSX to deliver these non-game functions. Barbarian also mentioned that developers have to-the-metal APIs for RSX, so I think Sony will have to partition RSX via hardware means rather than software/OS layers.
Finally nVidia said RSX will be the "most feature rich" GPU (I think).

* Any other optimization especially for console environment (to suit 128-bit memory path). This should include turning off 1 quad also for yield. Perhaps some features stolen from G71 where it makes sense.

:D

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
What i think RSX will be :

-90nm G70 @ 550mhz
-28ps ( maybe a 32 pipe design with a quad disabled )
-Flexi/o interface
-Strategicly placed cache's to help RSX deal with the extreme amount of though-put it will be getting from Cell
-An increased turbo cache to help wth PS2 backwards compatability

Anything else that is reasonable that i forgot??

EDIT : could RSX use more ROP's??? or am i being silly??;)

DMA management logic.

they've already said its based on 7800

Yeah but then again the R580 is also still based on the R300.
We can be certain the RSX will at least be a G71.
No way nVidia took al this time to get a 7800GTX for a console.
If they wanted low power useage Sony could just aswell gone for the 7800GTX GO.

london-boy said:
/repetitive post N.9832/a

/monotonous answer N.8732/f

/reiterative bitchy comment N.4783/e

N.8732/f - is that the one where RSX has 8 extra ROPs, or another 2 vertex shaders?

Which is the reference for the one where RSX get clocked up to 700mHz? I'll take a couple of those as spares please.

It does seem the RSX is a G71 reworked to function with CELL. The memory pool also seems to be GDDR, so no Rambus XDR. I was hoping for more bandwidth by utilizing XDR. Maybe we'll get lucky and the PS3 gets the GDDR memory pool size doubled.

As far a specs go, the only thing that might see an upgrade would be CELL. Even that is doubtful.

Back