Nvidia on C51 recall

Since what driver has the IDE problem been fixed, and are you personaly using NVidia's IDE driver?

Sxotty said:
The thing is this whole topic was started on an erroneous statement by the Inq.

IIRC, there were quite a few people reporting problems with Nvidia's firewall at Nforcers HQ forums. There have also been lots of issue with the Nforce IDE drivers in the past, though the last few versions have been good for me (once hardware manufacturers got workarounds in their firmware).

Just in case anyone may interest. This was discussed at Ocworkbench board that MCP51 on NVIDIA 6100/6150 does not support NCQ ? This is quoted from the ocworkbench
A user in our forums reported that his 6100/MCP51 board does not support NCQ. He uses a Hitachi SATA II HD model 7K80 but he is unable to turn on the command queueing in the device properties.

I did a test on my board (GF6100/MCP51) with a Seagate ST3160827AS which is a SATA 1, NCQ capable drive. I made a check in device manager-> NVIDIA MCP51 Serial ATA controller and I found that the ENABLE COMMAND QUEUEING is greyed out too. The NVIDIA driver used is 8.22 which is the one and only one available on NVIDIA website.

So will it be possible that the Nvidia 410/430 chipset does not support ncq?

Sxotty said:
The firewall stuff truly is a problem. Personally I have a router and have never used the firewall, I turn of the windows one so why would I want the Nvidia one running?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
IIRC, there were quite a few people reporting problems with Nvidia's firewall at Nforcers HQ forums. There have also been lots of issue with the Nforce IDE drivers in the past, though the last few versions have been good for me (once hardware manufacturers got workarounds in their firmware).

Yeah, well like I said.

Sinistar said:
Since what driver has the IDE problem been fixed, and are you personaly using NVidia's IDE driver?

I am (using the ide driver) on my htpc, but not on my desktop. The htpc is a nforce2 ultra, the desktop an nforce4. The desktop doesn't have IDE HDD so I saw no point in installing it.

How would I know what driver? I used them since summer before last (04) at least and they worked perfect for me, on an htpc there is lots of large files being transferred, I was pausing TV and what not all the time perfect data integrity...

Just tried the newest drivers. the IDE/SATA drivers seem to work now, but the Network Bus Enumerator is now broken. Rolled that one back to the old driver and everything seems fine. I guess you just have to pick out the working parts from all the different driver packages to get everything working properly.

I will say, CPU usage seem to have dropped while accessing the drives.

Deathlike2 said:
Not to say there isn't a history of mobo problems with certain companies (VIA's 686b? southbridge corruption)... but I don't believe those kinds of issues have remanifested themselves like NVidia has (since NVidia has introduced their hardware firewall, there have been longstanding issues from users). I personally use and lean towards VIA chipsets (I use a VIA K8T800 based chipset and have had no probs, like my former KT133 mobo) because of experience. Seeing as how the NForce4 has some problems.. I feel rather weary with them... that's not to say I won't buy them.. but it makes me wonder. That doesn't mean they won't fix these problems, but I feel that it is a fair idea to keep track of what problems continue to surface (particularly with the latest chipsets) and if they ever get resolved. Not that I would ever use the NVidia hardware firewall (I would get a software one for sure), but when you go buy hardware specifically for a feature you KNOW you will use and it fails to deliver.. consumer perception will be the reality.
Well, problems in the firewall and IDE software aren't really a reason to avoid nForce motherboards. These driver components are optional, and are only there to reduce the CPU load and provide better network security.

If you are worried about stability, just don't install these things. Hell, even the nVidia nForce driver installer warns you about the IDE drivers.

This doesn't mean that nVidia doesn't need to spend more time debugging their drivers, but it does mean that these issues really aren't a reason to avoid their hardware.

These issues are precisely why I avoided NF mobos a year ago.

There is no way in hell I'm buying a mobo where the chipset manufacturer cannot deliver their own drivers that work without catastrophic bugs.

That's like buying a graphics card and using Windows drivers because the graphics drivers are flaky. Lame.

Jawed

Chalnoth said:
Well, problems in the firewall and IDE software aren't really a reason to avoid nForce motherboards. These driver components are optional, and are only there to reduce the CPU load and provide better network security.

If you are worried about stability, just don't install these things. Hell, even the nVidia nForce driver installer warns you about the IDE drivers.

This doesn't mean that nVidia doesn't need to spend more time debugging their drivers, but it does mean that these issues really aren't a reason to avoid their hardware.

If you bought this motherboard because of it's value-added components (maybe spending more money than a normal motherboard), you'd be very disappointed to be told "they're optional, so they don't have to work right". If these features are on the spec sheet for the product you bought, they should not be considered optional.

Chalnoth said:

Wow, what are you smokin' ? IDE and Ethernet are not optional and neither is a firewall in today's computing environment.

With fans like you supporting them Nvidia will never fail as a company......

If I spend $150+ for a mainboard, I EXPECT the thing to work and the featureset to work as advertised.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
If you bought this motherboard because of it's value-added components (maybe spending more money than a normal motherboard), you'd be very disappointed to be told "they're optional, so they don't have to work right". If these features are on the spec sheet for the product you bought, they should not be considered optional.

I agree with you BZB, but only the firewall seems to actually be messed up now, therefore I think it is irresponsible to include a bunch of stuff that works perfectly as examples of what does not work. Furthermore the firewall seems to have issues with filesharing clients, and there are two ways to look at it.

1) Most of the people are busying pirating software so who cares
2) Many firewalls seem to have issues with file sharing programs.

I do not in any way think that justifies Nvidia from not providing a working solution. I think those that are disatisfied should clamor, but which of the people whinging on this board actually have an nforce chipset? If not perhaps you would find better use of your time in bugging your vendor of choice to fix their outstanding issues with the motherboard you have. Unless that is you simply are a cheerleader.

YeuEmMaiMai said:
Wow, what are you smokin' ? IDE and Ethernet are not optional and neither is a firewall in today's computing environment.

With fans like you supporting them Nvidia will never fail as a company......

If I spend $150+ for a mainboard, I EXPECT the thing to work and the featureset to work as advertised.

IDE Drivers are optional and while its not excusable for them to keep releaseing bad or non working drivers, I for one have never seen a performance drop or PIO like access of my HDD. The Network cards work, and the drivers work great. The problem is with the Firewall install that it asks you about when you install the drivers (which you can decline).

Obviously if you want a Firewall then the Nforce4 isn't the chipset for you, sadly you will never find one because they are the only ones trying this. I can understand why people can be bugged over the IDE drivers but when performance (that I have seen) isn't affected when choosing not to install the drivers, I don't really see where the problem is.

Sxotty said:
I do not in any way think that justifies Nvidia from not providing a working solution. I think those that are disatisfied should clamor, but which of the people whinging on this board actually have an nforce chipset? If not perhaps you would find better use of your time in bugging your vendor of choice to fix their outstanding issues with the motherboard you have. Unless that is you simply are a cheerleader.

I have an Nforce motherboard, and although I don't use their onboard firewall (wrong model) I can see why a lot of people would want what they were sold to work correctly. I experienced the same thing with Nforce IDE drivers (and to a lesser extent their sound drivers) until Nvidia spent a couple of years fixing their compatability problems.

As you said, regardless of who these "whingers" are, or what they are using their motherboards for, they have the right to have the features working as advertsised and sold.

If you buy the mobo intending to use the hardware firewall, you completely EXPECT it to work. Not that it affects me (since I do not use it), but the people who are looking for this kind of solution DEMAND it to work since it is the advertised feature.

Obviously if you want a Firewall then the Nforce4 isn't the chipset for you, sadly you will never find one because they are the only ones trying this. I can understand why people can be bugged over the IDE drivers but when performance (that I have seen) isn't affected when choosing not to install the drivers, I don't really see where the problem is.

That's what is buying a router is for. It works better because you don't have to buy mobos for every system you want a firewall for. (Then again, you could always argue that a software firewall would be the best equivalent, but this issue solely depends on the user and his needs...)

If not perhaps you would find better use of your time in bugging your vendor of choice to fix their outstanding issues with the motherboard you have.

I don't think that's the actual problem... this problem has extended from earlier chipsets that introduced the firewall (the NForce 2?) and the drivers/firewall software only comes from NVidia (all vendors have drivers that NVidia provides to them). It never seemed to me that NVidia has been proactive in fixing it (let alone acknowledge it, especially when these users have complained about it in their forums).

Sxotty said:
If not perhaps you would find better use of your time in bugging your vendor of choice to fix their outstanding issues with the motherboard you have. Unless that is you simply are a cheerleader.
I don't have any issues with my AV8 - thanks for your concern. I'm simply relating why I didn't, and won't, buy an NF chipset mobo.

Jawed

Jawed said:
I don't have any issues with my AV8 - thanks for your concern. I'm simply relating why I didn't, and won't, buy an NF chipset mobo.

Jawed
That is astounding considering the forums have all kinds of problems listed in them at via arena, it must be an indication the the AV8 sucks and doesn't work properly, or wait, maybe not.

That is astounding considering the forums have all kinds of problems listed in them at via arena, it must be an indication the the AV8 sucks and doesn't work properly, or wait, maybe not.

It really depends on what you use, and how you are affected. If you don't experience the problem, it doesn't mean the problem does not exist.

Sxotty said:
So, since you're so concerned for my well being, what exactly is this year-old AV8 with Winchester 3500+ doing that I haven't noticed yet?

Jawed

Sxotty said:
I agree with you BZB, but only the firewall seems to actually be messed up now,
Er, it's working perfectly fine for me right now with the 6.70 drivers. What drivers are you using?

Chanloth, do you download from bit torrent?

I don't bother with a firewall since I have a router anyway.

The people reporting problems are using bit torrent, or bear share or whatever everyone uses now, and I don't know about the validity of their claims, but I do know many people complained of having to reset routers when using file sharing clients so it is not isolated simply to the nforce setup.

In any case I am actually happy that it is working well for you, the first time I installed it just b/c it had a slick interface and what not, but it did have issues for me in that I could not use the settings propoerly, I think it would either not apply, or not let me change them I forget, but there was a problem with it. I simply disabled it cause I wasn't planning to use it anyway.

Jawed said:
So, since you're so concerned for my well being, what exactly is this year-old AV8 with Winchester 3500+ doing that I haven't noticed yet?
I have no idea, but what exactly is Chanloths computer doing that he didn't notice? Oh nothing, what was my nforce2 doing wrong in the last 2 years? Absolutely nothing, every part functioned perfectly. What is wrong with my nforce 4? Well the firewall was messed up on it when I first installed drivers last spring, but I haven't bothered since.

The point is every piece of hardware has someone who has problems with it b/c that is just the way things work. Even when rigorous testing is conducted there are problems (see the [H] falcon thing). Having users experience problems does not mean that it is faulty hardware, or softwares fault. It could be both, either or neither.

Going to a tech support forum and seeing people with problems on a specific product does not mean that the product is a failure unless there really is a disproportionate number, and unfortunately it is very difficult for anyone but the manufacturer to know.

However, if there are enough faults i.e. the IBM deskstar 75gxp or whatever it was then a class action suit will follow and things will get set straight.

Furthermore, this is evidence of why reviewers need to do a better job admiting problems. If reviewers had decried the messed up firewall on the Nforce4 immediately then it would have been fixed much earlier.

The simple point is this Jawed, I am not trying to get you purchase an Nvidia chipset, if you had problems in the past I would not expect you to purchase one any time soon. Similarly I may choose not to purchase a motherboard from a particular company b/c of prior experience, but that does not mean I will sit here and make crap up and say that a new product from said company has specific faults when it is not something I personally know, and more importantly when it is factually incorrect (the IDE thing is factually incorrect). I do not spend time perusing forums to find faults on hardware I don't plan to use.

I think perhaps this whole topic has gone its course.

The Inquirer made allegations which they supported with unrelated evidence, that is the end of it, the rest is fluff.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is simple: if installing the chipset's drivers causes data corruption on IDE hard disks (I have 3) then I'm not going to invite that trouble by buying such a shoddy product. As chipset flaws go, data corruption is right up there.

A lot of people building new NF3/4 systems also buy new hard disks (SATA). I think the predominance of SATA over the last 24 months is the primary reason why the IDE problems have had a relatively low profile.

Jawed

Back