Nvidia on C51 recall

Chalnoth said:
I don't believe there have been any reports of systems being "hosed."

The occasional data corruption that a few users have noticed has occured when copying large (muti-GB) files, and apparently hard drive manufacturers have owned up to it being a firmware issue with the hard drive.

The firewall issues were significant, but again only affected a relatively small percentage of users and could be fixed by disabling offloading (or installing a different software firewall).

Anyway, I don't buy that these issues are anything specific to nVidia. Do a google on VIA data corruption or SIS data corruption and you'll get a lot of links as well.

Wrong, disabling offloading does not stop NVTCP.sys from crashing. If I wanted a software firewall I would have problably gotten another brand. I bought the board for its features, features I can not use.

Chalnoth said:
And my roommate has a SiS chipset Intel board that has some very annoying problems of its own. Specifically, it takes a few minutes to boot into Windows XP, something my NF4 system does in about 20-30 seconds.
The SIS AMD and Intel chipsets are not the same. I wont touch a SIS Intel chipset because it has problems but the AMD SIS chipsets are rock solid. You will find that the AMD SIS 735 and up are rock solid and have very good proformance and very high proformance in the ATA. My many rig is getting old but its still very fast (AMD A64 S754 3000+ on SIS 755) and boots up in less then 10 sec.

The ATA problem is there and I think its in the ATA DMA controler. For the normal user the problem wont rear its ugly head but for ones that have large file writes and reads like a data base then the probelm is all ways there. This is the reason I don't use Nforce mobo for office systems I build bucouse of this probelm and don't tell me its not there. I have run into this problem with differnet mobo and different HD. Most of the systems I get that have problems with data corruption are Nforce chipset and a few Intel bassed SIS.

By the way, I finally got around to doing a little bit of testing. Some users have complained of data corruption with large file transfers. I downloaded the 3.5GB Suse DVD ISO. I then copied the ISO from one folder to another, and did an md5sum check on each. The files matched.

So I think the reports that hard disk firmware is the culprit sound plausible to me, particularly since most of the people noting these corruption issues seem to be using Maxtor drives.

Chalnoth said:
By the way, I finally got around to doing a little bit of testing. Some users have complained of data corruption with large file transfers. I downloaded the 3.5GB Suse DVD ISO. I then copied the ISO from one folder to another, and did an md5sum check on each. The files matched.

So I think the reports that hard disk firmware is the culprit sound plausible to me, particularly since most of the people noting these corruption issues seem to be using Maxtor drives.

You don't understand what I posted. Its not transfering 1 large file at a time but many at the same time that the problem comes up and I havent found a hard drive that the problem dosen't show its ugly head. The one thing that shows the problem is a large data base. A data base reads and writes to many large files at the same time (Microsoft Access). Maxtor show the problem more then other brand hard drive but it seems all the other brand show the same problems.

I had problems with large file transfers on my 1TB RAID across a gigabit ethernet network. The RAID would get corrupted every few days. It turned out the problem was the network driver messing up IRQ handling. I upgraded the network driver and everything was fixed.

This is on an nForce2 MB.

The ethernet card is a third party one from TrendNet.

I have transferred the entire contents of my 74GB raptor over the network to my 300gb Seagate in my nforce2 machine more than once and I have gotten no corruption at all. I transfer crap to the 300GB machine all the time b/c I use it as a bridge to connect my laptop and Desktop. I have never gotten corruption on it and am using the Nvidia drivers. In fact I just use cut and paste when I am going to reformat my desktop, though after all this complaints it makes me think perhaps it would be safer to copy it instead.

Not to mention like I said before it is an htpc so I record video etc all the time. If you are really having all these issues perhaps you should look into whether you have some other issue causing it.

Oh and Waste look here http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25493
In regards to linksys router problems
Sxotty said:
Where do you get this? I have heard they are quite good. That said my experience with them has been craptastic and I don't get them anymore

You see, like I said before I am not trying to get you to buy nforce products, I completely understand if your experience was craptastic and would not expect you to, however I do not go around and say products are terrible and posit that there are flaws inherent in them without facts from other people, I simply adjust my buying preferences. You can certainly believe if I had issues with Nforce boards I would not want one for quite awhile.

And btw I think I may try an SIS board, from youguys praise, but my prior experience with them was poor to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
{Sniping}Waste said:
You don't understand what I posted. Its not transfering 1 large file at a time but many at the same time that the problem comes up and I havent found a hard drive that the problem dosen't show its ugly head.
Okay, I tried transferring three files at a time. First from the same file to three separate file names, then from those three files to three more. No errors.

Give it up guys. Chalnoth will never admitt Nvidia has troubles. Even when Nvidia got trashed by R300 he was busy telling everyone NV30 was better. He is a lost cause

YeuEmMaiMai said:
Give it up guys. Chalnoth will never admitt Nvidia has troubles. Even when Nvidia got trashed by R300 he was busy telling everyone NV30 was better. He is a lost cause

I've got an NF2 board at home and I've been using a R300 for the last 3 years. I've never had a problem with data corruption either. <shrug>

Nite_Hawk

Well, I saw the NVTCP crash last night, after one week up uptime (downloading a torrent the entire time). One crash in a week really isn't bad for Windows, but it still would be nice if they fixed it.

Nite_Hawk said:
I've got an NF2 board at home and I've been using a R300 for the last 3 years. I've never had a problem with data corruption either. <shrug>

Nite_Hawk
It is called the silent majority :p

DemoCoder said:
I had problems with large file transfers on my 1TB RAID across a gigabit ethernet network. The RAID would get corrupted every few days. It turned out the problem was the network driver messing up IRQ handling. I upgraded the network driver and everything was fixed.

This is on an nForce2 MB.

The ethernet card is a third party one from TrendNet.
Huh, same deal here. Different hardware: i875 CSA Gbe, ICH5 RAID. Updating to the latest Intel Pro NIC drivers solved the problem. LAN-LAN router performance also increased...

Chalnoth said:
Well, I saw the NVTCP crash last night, after one week up uptime (downloading a torrent the entire time). One crash in a week really isn't bad for Windows, but it still would be nice if they fixed it.

That's funny...I have an old NT 4 PDC server running and the only time it ever gets shut down is when I have to pack it up and move it.

Back