Nvidia on C51 recall

VIA also had the mysterious USB ports that did not actually function, I never understood how that could possibly have gotten through QA process...

Sxotty said:
VIA also had the mysterious USB ports that did not actually function, I never understood how that could possibly have gotten through QA process...

I really do think that NV did as much as anyone outside AMD to make AMD viable beyond the hardcore anti-Intel crowd.

I won't use a nvidia or a VIA chipset at all. Both are buggy from experense. Nvidia has had this ATA problem starting from there Nforce2 chipset and its still there in there Nforce4. At less VIA fix there ATA problem and there K8 chipset are nothing like there K7 chipsets. The only chipset that gave no problems to me is the SIS chipsets. What suck is no mobo maker would use a SIS chipset in a high end board so if you a OC then you had to Vmod the mobo because of lack of options in the BIOS. If a mobo maker had make a high end mobo with a SIS chipset, there would be very little talk about Nforce and Via.

Does SIS still overclock their boards? I remember for awhile every review of any mobo with SIS chipset noticed they were overclocked a few MHz so they were competetive with VIA & Nvidia.

Sxotty said:
Does SIS still overclock their boards? I remember for awhile every review of any mobo with SIS chipset noticed they were overclocked a few MHz so they were competetive with VIA & Nvidia.
No the mobo with SIS chipsets don't come overclocked. It was the other way around with MSI that if the mobo drivers knew it was running a bench mark it would up the FSB by 5mhz to get a higher score and that was only with mobs with nforce and Via chipsets.

SIS chipset are some of the most stable setup I have used and can overclock if you vmod it because the BIOS don't have the voltage seting for Vcore or Vdimm. I had a ECS L7S2A socket A (SIS746) that would do 230/460FSB stable and a Asrock with a SIS748 with 245/490 FSB stable. The A64 I have now is a Asrock with SIS755 and will do 265 HTT and thats not bad because at the time the other choises then was a VIA KT8T800 or a Nforce3 150 that if you were lucky it would reach 235HTT.

The ATA problem seems to have been fixed with the nforce2 chipset. At least for me with XP SP2. I lost that many system drive installs it was ridiculous. My house is littered with coasters from 2 separate DVD burners from 2 separate manufactures until nvidia sorted it's drivers out. However I have 2 USB2.0 Notebook caddies that will not work on my nforce2 mobo even through a usb hub. They will work on the cheapest shittiest pc's I can find at work problem free. Just got a mobo based on the ULi 1695 chipset (ULi M1695/ ULi M1567). Hopefully I will leave these problems behind. Havent used a Uli chipset for more than 5 years.

Yeah the ATA thing has been fixed for quite awhile, but it was never necessary to install it in the first place and had the disclaimer when you did. I usually did not bother to install it actually.

Anyway I am still waiting for whatever was really going on to come out, or the Inq to remedy what they said.

Sxotty said:

Yes. I had that on my another previous VIA motherboard. I think it used the 686A chipset. I never could use USB on it, even with a powered USB hub in the mix. The USB ports would cut out completely within 4 minutes. That board was quickly delegated to my second system, with the main system using a super-stable AMD 750 chipset. If there was a bug in any VIA hardware, I'm sure to have experienced it in spades.

I also tried Sis for Socket-A and had a slew of issues there.

The best chipsets I've ever used in the AMD realm have all been Nvidia chipsets, nForce2 and nForce4. I sure hope the success factor doesn't turn Nvidia into another VIA-like company in the motherboard/chipset realm.

Sxotty said:

Yeah tell me about it, my old A7V wouldnt pick up USB devices and 90% of the time would somehow disable my mouse. Dont ask me how in the hell they managed to get a USB controller to disable a PS2 mouse port but they did.

Right that MB sits in a test server with Win2003 on it in closet with nothing but VNC on it to control it.

That was the last Via MB I have ever owned.

{Sniping}Waste said:
Got to love NV stance on this. Its the mobo makers fault or its the endusers fault if theres a problems.

Fairly typical knee-jerk response tho, yes? And not just for NV.

I don't think it's a blame game. The reference mobos work. Biostars mobos work. Maybe MSI and Asus really did try to stray too far from the reference design.

trinibwoy said:
I don't think it's a blame game. The reference mobos work. Biostars mobos work. Maybe MSI and Asus really did try to stray too far from the reference design.
I have hear ppl having problems with data corroption on the Biostars mobos too. The problem are not with one or few board makers but all of them. The problem that tops the list is the data corroption on the ATA controler. All the Nforce chipset aper to have this problem with data corroption starting with the Nforce 2 and up. I belive its a flaw in the ATA controler thats been passed on to newer chipsets. NV is pulling the same crap that VIA did with there 686A and 686B south brigde that had data corroption and denid it at the time.

I think if I made mobo chipsets I'd insist on certifying the mobos before they go on sale. I know that possibly there are legal reasons why you'd not want to go there, but it seems to me they are outweighed by protecting your reputation --you are going to get the mud on you when a mobo with your chipset on it fails. You just will --fair or unfair.

Maybe this is a trailing factor from when NV was the new kid on the chipset block and couldn't get away with insisting on that with mobo makers who quite rightly figured they had more technical expertise in these things than NV did at the time. But I rather suspect they could now, and many mobo makers would probably even welcome it so long as they didn't use that power to try to delete features for anything other than technical dodginess.

Last edited by a moderator:
{Sniping}Waste said:
I have hear ppl having problems with data corroption on the Biostars mobos too. The problem are not with one or few board makers but all of them. The problem that tops the list is the data corroption on the ATA controler. All the Nforce chipset aper to have this problem with data corroption starting with the Nforce 2 and up. I belive its a flaw in the ATA controler thats been passed on to newer chipsets. NV is pulling the same crap that VIA did with there 686A and 686B south brigde that had data corroption and denid it at the time.
There is not problem with data corruption on the Nforce4, the hard disk manufacturers owned up to it being their fault.

And the data corruption on the nforce2 was in the drivers and was fixed years ago.

I don't know where you get your information but it is very out of date.

Sxotty said:
There is not problem with data corruption on the Nforce4, the hard disk manufacturers owned up to it being their fault.

And the data corruption on the nforce2 was in the drivers and was fixed years ago.

Well after nearly 3 years the nForce 2 STILL suffers data corruption with the Lan and nV hardware firewall enabled .. even WITH the latest whql drivers . However I'm sure nV will be sure to blame mobo makers for "straying to far" from their reference design.

Sxotty said:

Thats not the problem. Ppl out there are haveing problems with Mator, Seagate, WD both carver and raptors, IBM, Hitachi, and Samsung both PATA and SATA. I belive its a flaw in the ATA controler and NV is trying to pass the buck on this one like VIA did in the past.

I find it very strange that there would be an issue today with Nforce4 that was present in the Nforce2. That would mean that Nvidia has sold millions of chipsets with this bug and gotten away with it all this time? (I've personally never had this problem with the DFI Nforce2 and Nforce4 motherboards I own)

trinibwoy said:
I find it very strange that there would be an issue today with Nforce4 that was present in the Nforce2. That would mean that Nvidia has sold millions of chipsets with this bug and gotten away with it all this time? (I've personally never had this problem with the DFI Nforce2 and Nforce4 motherboards I own)

I haven't had this problem. I figure it's mostly because I never ran/installed Nvidia's FireWall or even their EIDE drivers.

Back