Nvidia DLSS antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by DavidGraham, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pharma

Veteran Regular

2. Soltan_G42

But they already do fractional upscaling, right?

For 4K output:

Quality Mode is 1440P -> 2160p
    Performance Mode is 1080P -> 2160p
    Ultra Performance Mode is 720P -> 2160p

So Quality is 1.5x scaling per dimension.
    So 3x maybe it is just the next logical bump down in their minds. Or it met a performance target. Or maybe a fractional scaling factor had more image quality problems or something. My guess is that 2.5x per dimension wouldn't have been enough speed boost over the 2x of Performance mode to be worthwhile.

BRiT likes this.
  3. dorf

Newcomer

If you are talking about github.com/NvRTX/UnrealEngine that has the DLSS (and caustics) branch, then all I had to do to get access was to link my Epic account with my Github account if memory serves. Definitely no manual requesting from Nvidia was required, just a bit of clicking.

https://developer.nvidia.com/unrealengine

Btw, the DLSS "Ultra quality" mode mentioned in Github isn't actually active yet.

And fwiw Ultra performance mode can be used with any output resolution in older UE4 DLSS 2.0 titles like Deliver Us the Moon by replacing the original DLSS 2.0 nvngx_dlss.dll with a newer DLSS 2.1 file and using console command r.NGX.DLSS.Quality 3. This did not work with Wolfenstein btw.

Cuthalu and pjbliverpool like this.
  4. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

I wonder what drives the currently available ms window for DLSS? i.e. is this the best possible algorithm they can make and it simply takes this long? Or could the produce significantly higher quality given more time to do the upscale, and they limit it to the current window to make it practical on slower GPU's like the 2060?

If it's the former then that opens up an interesting possibility. What about a DLSS 3.0 mode that's exclusive to Ampere and mandated to work in async mode? In that case you could perhaps allocate say 8ms for the 3070 (which would use about 1.5ms with DLSS 2.0 at 4k) which by virtue of running asynchronously to shaders and RT would be basically free up to 120fps. It would be free to even higher framerates on faster GPU's.

Would 8ms be enough to produce a high quality ultra performance mode output? Or go even further? I'm sure it wouldn't be done this way, but just as an example, 8ms would still be well over double the time that you'd need to upscale a 1080p impage to 4k, and then upscale that image again to 8k.

BRiT likes this.
  5. Flappy Pannus

Newcomer

Yeah, but doesn't matter when you ship $30k 8K TV's to youtube influencers who give you a 10 minute ad and rave about how 8k is now 'playable'

Scott_Arm likes this.
  6. pharma

Veteran Regular

Doesn't the quality depend on having enough 8k samples when you do the training? I would imagine the more generic 8k images used for training the more accurate the up-scaled image will be.

7. Scott_Arm

Legend

Maybe they can improve it over time, but as it stands now the ultra performance output is a LONG way off native resolution with TAA.

8. pharma

Veteran Regular

October 15, 2020

manux and PSman1700 like this.
  9. troyan

Newcomer

PSman1700 and pharma like this.