Nvidia DLSS 3 antialiasing discussion

DLSS3 now supports V-Sync, in the new driver.

-Introduces DLSS Frame Generation support for VSync when G-SYNC is enabled

I wonder what that means as enabling vsync with Gsync and Reflex (which is a part of DLSS3) would mean that the driver engage its framerate limiter under the vsync so that the engine never actually runs into vsync in the first place.

Bright Memory Infinite is now much more playable (with a game patch and this new driver) with 144hz FG on is now at 138hz ish Nvidia Reflex 'cap'.

FG on latency is so much better with VSYNC On. PC Latency now around 40-50ms (used to over 100ms-200ms on the old driver above the GSYNC window).

FG on still feels a lttle odd, a bit like how SLI AFR microstutters felt. I think it is the inconstistant framerate (at least in this title) not tried any other DLSS3 title yet.

I think I may be too used to having a framerate cap with very consistant frame delivery (say 100Hz or 120hz).

Last edited:
Tried it in F1 22 the frame rate is capped at 162FPS, VSYNC limit is 170Hz. So around 5% less frames.
modern games aside, can't wait to try technology like this to play emulators and run games like Super Mario 64 or Diddy Kong Racing and so on at decent framerates.

DLSS3 now supports V-Sync, in the new driver.

-Introduces DLSS Frame Generation support for VSync when G-SYNC is enabled

Game changer!

November 18, 2022

As mentioned already, Spider-Man: Miles Morales includes support for all the latest and greatest upscaling technologies: DLSS, FSR, XeSS, and the game's own IGTI (Insomnia Games Temporal Injection). Let's be frank: IGTI looks the worst, by far, in our opinion. Since all of the others should deliver superior image quality, we confined our testing to the best option for each GPU — though we tested both DLSS 2 and DLSS 3 (Frame Generation) on the RTX 40-series.
DLSS 3 Frame Generation continues to make a huge difference, and it's not just a placebo in my experience. On a 144 Hz monitor, it may not matter too much, but the boost to minimum fps does seem to help. Of course, the base performance (from the CPU) is still at 100 fps or so, which means latency is low enough as to not be particularly noticeable.
As for image quality, IGTI does show the greatest loss of detail, especially on the wall textures to the left. The other three upscaling algorithms are all pretty comparable. In motion, DLSS might still have a slight advantage, but all of the modes can make the game fun faster — on the right hardware. Of course we don't have DLSS 3 image comparisons, as the extra Frame Generation content doesn't get properly captured in the usual fashion, but in playing the game I would personally enable the feature on any RTX 40-series card. After all, you paid for the option at the factory!

Possible rumor ...

Edit:
If true then it would validate the statement made by the Nvidia engineer that FG could work on Ampere and Turing.
NVIDIA Engineer Says DLSS 3 on Older RTX GPUs Could Theoretically Happen, Teases RTX I/O News
so, did anything came out of this? with the vsync update, FG is looking more and more compeling for the lower end RTX cards, yet the only ones available are from the previous generations

so, did anything came out of this?
It was a random reddit post, with zero proof. 99.99% it was all fake.

Anyhow, Digital Foundry crew was happy with new VSync option for Frame Generation in their latest Direct episode. For 120hz panels, Vsync lock now limits the game at 116fps, which is great for VRR usage.

Richard and the crew was especially impressed with 60fps DLSS3 lock which produced ~70ms lag [a bit less lag than many 30fps console games have]. This will be a good option for lower GPU tiers.

The developers of Bright Memory Infinite decreased the input lag of DLSS3 in a new patch.

The input lag after turning on DLSS3 has been reduced from 38ms to 27ms.
3858024bf05b67e031b54ace5d59a49a62fdc335.png

Played a few hours NFS Unbound and it is a easy win for FG. Game comes with version 1.0.2 so there will artefacts after scene cuts, but you can replace the dll with the one from Miles Morales or Warhammer.
In comparision with DLSS quality it is much better. FSR is no competition. FSR 2 is so bad in this game it is practical useless. And this game is CPU limited with my 13600K, too. So FG goes up to 162FPS without a problem.

After using FG in different games, for me it is another huge advancement for PC players.

Last edited:
Played a few hours NFS Unbound and it is a easy win for FG. Game comes with version 1.0.2 so there will artefacts after scene cuts, but you can replace the dll with the one from Miles Morales or Warhammer.
In comparision with DLSS quality it is much better. FSR is no competition. FSR 2 is so bad in this game it is practical useless. And this game is CPU limited with my 13600K, too. So FG goes up to 162FPS without a problem.

After using FG in different games, for me it is another huge advancement for PC players.
DLSS is becoming more and more like the AlphaZero or Stockfish of image reconstruction. What do you mean when you say it is much better in comparison with DLSS Quality? Doesn't FG just take care of adding frames rather than reconstruction? Just curious....

Has anyone seen anything about how well DLSS3 works at higher frame rates? So far everything I've seen has tested it on ultra settings. I'd like to know how it looks on a 360Hz display with lower settings to see if the quality improves as the base frame rate gets really high. I'd also like to see if there's a limit where the optical flow thingy could become a bottleneck. Is it possible that past a certain point you stop gaining fps because the optical flow thingy can only go so fast.

In Bright Memory 550 FPS in 1440p and 450 FPS in 3440x1440 are possible.

DLSS is becoming more and more like the AlphaZero or Stockfish of image reconstruction. What do you mean when you say it is much better in comparison with DLSS Quality? Doesn't FG just take care of adding frames rather than reconstruction? Just curious....

Upscaling and FG are trying to solve the same problem: Generating more frames.
DLSS super resolution has still a few problems - smearing at high contrast edges, exaggeration of bloom effects, less stable in some games etc. FG is much more stable, has less problem.

Last edited:
In Bright Memory 550 FPS in 1440p and 450 FPS in 3440x1440 are possible.

Upscaling and FG are trying to solve the same problem: Generating more frames.
DLSS super resolution has still a few problems - smearing at high contrast edges, exaggeration of bloom effects, less stable in some games etc. FG is much more stable, has less problem.
the thing is that a better framerate adds crispness to the image, so yeah, in that sense it's good. When I had a 240Hz monitor, playing games at that framerate added some kind of "natural" AA.

FG doesn't solve certain problems of native resolution. I've played FIFA 23 today at 4K native resolution and Doom Eternal too -this one at 4K native120Hz-, and despite being native resolution I didn't find them appealing at all, I prefer the look of games with reconstruction techniques for the most part.

In that sense, I rather prefer the look of games like Shadow of Tomb Raider with XeSS on, or Gotham Knights -this one is a different beast, 'cos of stuttering even if I can run it at 60fps with XeSS Quality/Ultra Quality, thankfully VRR exists but still....-.

In some games, DLSS 2 + FG could certainly add a lot of extra fps, imho.

Last edited:
Back