Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

I like comparison screenshots with fine text texture details and stills captured from in motion video. Text allows to easily spot the difference in texture detalization and ignore the misleading difference in sharpening levels.
Nice to see the text on the red sign is just as readable with DLSS as with SMAA 2TX, means there are not too much of fine texture detail losses in motion.
SMAA 2TX has higher level of sharpenning applied to it since you can clearly see ringing along low contrast lines with it and therefore some details are easier to discern with SMAA 2TX, but DLSS is more stable in motion.

NIS adds flexibility when used in conjunction with DLSS.
Interestingly, some of the NIS functionality in the form of sharpening the image can be used in conjunction with DLSS, if the image after it seems too soapy to you. So you can get the highest possible picture quality with a variable sharpness to taste. To do this, you need to enable NIS in the control panel, run the game with DLSS support and select the native monitor resolution in it, not forgetting to turn on the DLSS technology itself. And then, at a resolution equal to native, NIS will work simply as a sharpening filter, which is very useful

Yes, you can use the high quality sharpenning from NIS with DLSS in any game with Alt + F3 combination (hopefully nobody will ever use NIS upscaling with DLSS, lol).
I already used contrast adaptive Freestyle sharpenning in some games with DLSS, but I guess this sharpenning is even better.

DLSS really does kick ass on fine detail. It seems the smearing and ghosting issues are much less prevalent too.
Smearing and ghosting are generally even more pronounced when running same games with their own TAA so this has always been a weird "downside".
2.2+ also do things which try to fix ghosting in most cases, to a point where it's generally invisible in the latest games using 2.3.

At this point the biggest downside of DLSS (besides improper integrations which are still happening unfortunately) is it's inability to properly reconstruct ray traced portions of the frame I'd say. They need to do something about that next.

At this point the biggest downside of DLSS (besides improper integrations which are still happening unfortunately) is it's inability to properly reconstruct ray traced portions of the frame I'd say. They need to do something about that next.

Why does it matter to DLSS if a pixel was raytraced or not?

Why does it matter to DLSS if a pixel was raytraced or not?
My guess would be because most ray traced pixels themselves use various forms of temporal accumulation which means that DLSS can't produce "native" results from the same amount of frames as for rasterized pixels.
Generally with DLSS it's a good idea to increase the amounts of rays per pixel where possible since that would allow DLSS to reconstruct back to native better.
But there likely is a better solution for that - some form of DLSS and RT denoising integration or something.

My guess would be because most ray traced pixels themselves use various forms of temporal accumulation which means that DLSS can't produce "native" results from the same amount of frames as for rasterized pixels.
Generally with DLSS it's a good idea to increase the amounts of rays per pixel where possible since that would allow DLSS to reconstruct back to native better.
But there likely is a better solution for that - some form of DLSS and RT denoising integration or something.

Right so it's just that in some titles RT effects are rendered at a lower resolution than everything else giving DLSS less to work with. So as you said the solve is to just render those effects at a higher resolution with more rays. Not really something DLSS can fix on its own.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hellblade-senua-s-sacrifice-enhanced-dlss-vs-fsr-comparison/

“Compared to native resolution, the DLSS performance uplift at 4K is a great improvement to the game even in Quality mode, and image quality is more detailed and stable in comparison to the TAA/FSR solution. Speaking of FSR, the image quality with it enabled is pretty good even without the ability to tweak the sharpening level, and unlike some other FSR implementations, it's not heavily oversharpened at lower resolutions.”

DLSS in Proton

Linux gamers should be delighted to know that Valve’s Proton is now officially supporting DLSS. Proton is a Windows compatibility layer for Linux, based on the popular DirectX translation runtime called Wine. Proton is part of the SteamOS 3.0 which is used by Valve’s handheld gaming console Steam Deck. Unfortunately, DLSS will not work on the console as it is based on AMD Zen/RDNA2 silicon, not NVIDIA Turing/Ampere architecture. Gamers will still have a choice of AMD FSR and possibly Intel XeSS in the future though. However, the addition of DLSS to SteamOS means that the development of Linux gaming is now progressing rapidly.
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-dlss-now-officially-available-for-valves-proton-6-3-8-on-linux

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/hellblade-senua-s-sacrifice-enhanced-dlss-vs-fsr-comparison/

“Compared to native resolution, the DLSS performance uplift at 4K is a great improvement to the game even in Quality mode, and image quality is more detailed and stable in comparison to the TAA/FSR solution. Speaking of FSR, the image quality with it enabled is pretty good even without the ability to tweak the sharpening level, and unlike some other FSR implementations, it's not heavily oversharpened at lower resolutions.”

Somewhat odd issue(?) with the pools of water/sand that immediately stuck out to me that the site didn't mention though:

FSR:

fBn8tac.png

DLSS:

aYEwPV3.png

Not sure exactly which is the 'correct' version, the DLSS image seems to have this outline around the small sand hills peeking through the water.

Other than that DLSS has far superior detail in the nets in the distance and especially the fur on her clothes.

Last edited:
Farming Simulator 22: DLSS vs. DLAA vs. FSR Comparison Review | TechPowerUp
More and more game developers have started adding DLAA support alongside DLSS; thus far, Farming Simulator 22 is the third game to fully support DLAA. In the graphics settings menu, DLAA is found under the "post-process anti-aliasing" options. This game also supports AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR).

What's also interesting about Farming Simulator 22 is that there are subtle differences in the implementation of NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), NVIDIA's Deep Learning Anti-Aliasing (DLAA), and AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR), which we are keen to find out more about.

from what I know not many racing games used dlss before ? apparently for acc fsr gives better results, at least according to this simracer
edit:
confirmed by other

Last edited:
Back