Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

In their video DLSS seemed to remove a lot of foliage movement.
Yeah, it's pretty extreme in some instances - Horizon has a varying wind system, but I would assume they're adjusting it on the fly/reloading a save for the comparisons at the exact same point.

Some of that is just the flickering of the white tipped grass but there's some other scenes where it's relatively up close and it's almost completely static whereas the non-DLSS grass is swaying violently. Odd.

Yeah, it's pretty extreme in some instances - Horizon has a varying wind system, but I would assume they're adjusting it on the fly/reloading a save for the comparisons at the exact same point.

Some of that is just the flickering of the white tipped grass but there's some other scenes where it's relatively up close and it's almost completely static whereas the non-DLSS grass is swaying violently. Odd.

Its almost impossible that any post processing upscaling technique can influence animation. It has to be the dynamic wind system.

Its almost impossible that any post processing upscaling technique can influence animation. It has to be the dynamic wind system.
Oh I know DLSS of course has no reason to affect animation, my concern was that it was more potentially a bug. However, the uploader has cleared this up:
@Darkswordz the grass animation is not affected by DLSS, it was simply taken with different wind conditions due to the dynamic weather.

Last edited:
whereas the non-DLSS grass is swaying violently. Odd.
People can easily confuse pixel crawling or shimmering on grass for animation too.

but there's significantly more shader aliasing with HZD's PC TAA implementation than there is on console for some reason.
PS4 Pro version has a combination of TAA plus FXAA, FXAA at high preset specifically tunes down brightness of too contrast pixels to avoid shimmering.
TAA on the other hand had just 2 or 4 jittering positions (2-4 samples) iirc hence it doesn't do much to tune down the shimmering (especially considering that it was a part of the checkerboaring, so that 2 frames combined would translate into 1 no AA frame with FXAA).

Last edited:
People can easily confuse pixel crawling or shimmering on grass for animation too.

Yes, which is why I said as much right before that statement in the same sentence? I mean I'm literally saying "I get that flickering can give that impression, but here's a specific example where the movement is not just flickering"

Was cleared up though that it was the varying wind system.
PS4 Pro version has a combination of TAA plus FXAA, FXAA at high preset specifically tunes down brightness of too contrast pixels to avoid shimmering.
TAA on the other hand had just 2 or 4 jittering positions (2-4 samples) iirc hence it doesn't do much to tune down the shimmering (especially considering that it was a part of the checkerboaring, so that 2 frames combined would translate into 1 no AA frame with FXAA).

Interesting thanks, guess that would explain it. HZD PC has anti-aliasing settings of FXAA, TAA, and "Camera Based AA", wonder why they didn't add in an FXAA + TAA option.

Last edited:
Yes, which is why I said as much right before that statement in the same sentence? I mean I'm literally saying "I get that flickering can give that impression, but here's a specific example where the movement is not just flickering"

Was cleared up though that it was the varying wind system.

Interesting thanks, guess that would explain it. HZD PC has anti-aliasing settings of FXAA, TAA, and "Camera Based AA", wonder why they didn't add in an FXAA + TAA option.

Any idea what camera based is? The example shot when you select it is identical to TAA.

Just to give an average gamer view of DLSS, I just finished Wolfenstein Youngblood and if I didnt know I wouldnt have suspected that any kind of upscaling trickery was going on
3840x1200 ultra settings dlss set to quality - if it matters
edit: looking at the settings for this post I noticed I had film grain on 1.0 could have set it to 0.0 - bugger

Last edited:
I assume this is related to DLSS
Watchdogs Legion in the options it says Temporal Upscaling 100% what exactly does that mean (the 100%, not the upscaling)

Watchdogs Legion in the options it says Temporal Upscaling 100% what exactly does that mean (the 100%, not the upscaling)
WDL has a TAAU option for systems which can't do DLSS. This is that option.
You can set it below 100%. The engine will render in lower than selected resolution and then upscale to it with temporal supersampling. AFAIR the results are pretty good for anything above 80%.

I'm guessing from your post 100% means 100% "proper pixels" and 0% upscaled pixels and 50% would mean it's rendered at half res (960x540 on a 1080p monitor) and upscaled to fullscreen ?
So what should it be set to for best quality 100% or does that only apply if not using DLSS ?
Edit : just checked can only change it if I turn DLSS off

Last edited:
I'm guessing from your post 100% means 100% "proper pixels" and 0% upscaled pixels and 50% would mean it's rendered at half res (960x540 on a 1080p monitor) and upscaled to fullscreen ?
Most likely.
It's a bit of a mess with these percentages since 960x540 isn't "half res" or "50%" of 1080p - it's 1/2x1/2 resolution which is 1/4 of total res.
But it seems that this concept of specifying % per one axis as a global resolution scaing % has caught on for some reason.

So what should it be set to for best quality 100% or does that only apply if not using DLSS ?
Edit : just checked can only change it if I turn DLSS off
It's disabled if you enable DLSS.

I'm guessing from your post 100% means 100% "proper pixels" and 0% upscaled pixels and 50% would mean it's rendered at half res (960x540 on a 1080p monitor)
Quarter res ;) Should be able to tell if it's half or quarter res by then trying the game native at those resolutions and comparing performance.

And it’ll also introduce DLDSR (Deep Learning Dynamic Super Resolution), an updated NVIDIA Control Panel feature, enhancing Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) resolution with AI, to improve image quality and accelerate performance.

Additionally, there are three new NVIDIA Freestyle filters that allow you to enhance your games with Screen Space Ray-Traced Global Illumination, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, and Dynamic Depth of Field. Plus, support for 8 new G-SYNC Compatible gaming monitors and displays.

DLDSR improves upon DSR by adding an AI network that requires fewer input pixels, making the image quality of DLDSR 2.25X comparable to that of DSR 4X, but with higher performance. DLDSR works in most games on GeForce RTX GPUs, thanks to their Tensor Cores.

We've worked with the modding community and teamed up with Pascal Gilcher, a popular ReShade Author, to release three advanced, depth-based Freestyle filters, SSAO, Dynamic DOF, and SSRTGI, a modified version of his popular "Ray Tracing ReShade Filter". These depth-based filters are accessible by pressing Alt+F3 during gameplay when GeForce Experience’s in-game overlay is enabled in the app’s settings menu.

• SSRTGI (Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination), commonly known as the “Ray Tracing ReShade Filter” enhances lighting and shadows of your favorite titles to create a greater sense of depth and realism.
  • SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion) emphasizes the appearance of shadows near the intersections of 3D objects, especially within dimly lit/indoor environments.
  • Dynamic DOF (Depth of Field) applies bokeh-style blur based on the proximity of objects within the scene giving your game a more cinematic suspenseful feel.

Holly shit

Back