NVIDIA discussion [2024]

AMD and Intel want to profit off of AI too but given their minor market share over there they aren't as pressured to allocate wafers for it like Nvidia ...

Sure but there is no indication AI and gaming are cannibalizing each other today. Once this AI gold rush is over HPC volumes will be even more minuscule vs the mass market consumer stuff. I think GeForce pricing will depend on the same thing it always has - competition.

Yeah but not now.

Si spam is the meta now.
Again, not the limiting factor.
Nobody said anything was going to happen "this instant"?

Why do defensive people ALWAYS act like the thing you claim is going to happen... has to be happening this instant and since it's not.. it invalidates your argument?

That only shows back to 2020... Let's look further back than even 2014, which I posted before...

dgpuship.png

And again.. you're going to quickly see how what is 10% of TSMC's capacity now... explodes in the very near future. You're basing your assumptions off of how the market is right now, but missing how these companies are going to change their business to accommodate the much more lucrative markets.

It is a scary drop compared to the times of 20+ million. You are right this is not some bubbles. But is it caused by Nvidia? Why not other factors like longer upgrade cycles? More people with integrated graphics? Many people are now content with laptops.

Nobody said anything was going to happen "this instant"?

Why do defensive people ALWAYS act like the thing you claim is going to happen... has to be happening this instant and since it's not.. it invalidates your argument?

You haven’t really defended your argument as to why you think it’s going to happen. That’s what people are pushing back on.

It is a scary drop compared to the times of 20+ million. You are right this is not some bubbles. But is it caused by Nvidia? Why not other factors like longer upgrade cycles? More people with integrated graphics? Many people are now content with laptops.

Games that truly require a high-performance GPU are now much more formulaic? Oh, wow, another ****ing first-person shooter. Let me run out and spunk a months wages on a new GPU right now!

Or... not.

Games that truly require a high-performance GPU are now much more formulaic? Oh, wow, another ****ing first-person shooter. Let me run out and spunk a months wages on a new GPU right now!

Or... not.

I think it’s mostly due to stagnation in display resolution. If you’re playing at 1080p or 1440p you really don’t need to rush out and buy the latest and greatest. And when you’re ready to buy something you don’t need the $1000+ stuff.

I'm not saying that it's you specifically but this whole discourse stem from them in a sizeable part.

I basically started this line of the thread. Also an Nvidia owner and haven't considered switching to AMD or intel. I'm waiting on the 5070/5080 to see pricing, performance etc. When I look at the gpu market where I live, the RTX 4080 is still about $1300 CAD, which is $300 more than I paid for my $3080 right as the crypto boom took off. Now we have an ai boom, and people that want to work on ai buy up the highest-end model gaming gpus. Nvidia never released a desktop 4050, or something really low-end. Maybe that'll change with 50 series.

The trend seems to be that prices are staying high, Nvidia is less interested in the mid to budget market. They can build bigger and more expensive gpus and sell them to professionals and ai people. The trend looks like it's towards lower volume and higher margins. We'll see if that continues but if there's going to be any price competition and sanity, I think it's going to have to come from intel and amd offering super competitive low to mid-range gpus, because Nvidia doesn't look interested anymore.

I like my 3080 a lot. I like the nivida feature set. I want to continue on with that. Just not sure if I'm going to get priced out, and when I see these stories about massive investments in gpus continuing for years, I just can't see how Nvidia could ever go back to selling affordable gaming gpus when they can focus on the x080 and x090 cards and just jack the prices as high as these companies are willing to pay.

There seems to be a clear downward trend irrespective of the crypto bubble. It’s probably caused by several factors, but I would be surprised if the consistently increasing prices weren’t a major contributor. Even crypto couldn’t outdo the sales enjoyed by the tremendous value GPUs from both vendors offered during the Pascal era.

I don’t know why some of you are so confident Nvidia wont raise prices again with Blackwell. They have significantly raised the cost of entry for various performance tiers with two out of the last three generations.

I don’t know why some of you are so confident Nvidia wont raise prices again with Blackwell. They have significantly raised the cost of entry for various performance tiers with two out of the last three generations.

I fully expect them to raise prices over time. Just not for the reasons stated in this thread.

I fully expect them to raise prices over time. Just not for the reasons stated in this thread.

Do you think the margins on the gpus have grown or stayed about the same since prices have gone up? Honest question. I don't know how much profit Nvidia turns on a 4080 or 4090 gpu and how that's change from maybe a 2080 or 2080ti. I would guess their margins have gone up and they're comfortable selling far fewer gpus with bigger margins as they still have a big market share lead over their competitors.

I would guess their margins have gone up and they're comfortable selling far fewer gpus with bigger margins as they still have a big market share lead over their competitors.
I guess that argument could also apply to AMD as well (except market share position). Both AMD and Nvidia have recently lower the MSRP of the current GPU generation well below what was offered initially, suggesting both could have had much lower introductory prices. Is AMD comfortable selling fewer gpus at high prices at the expense of market share?

Intel's situation is understandable due mostly to growing pains but believe Battlemage will be reasonably priced and offer comparable performance targeting market share gains.

Do you think the margins on the gpus have grown or stayed about the same since prices have gone up? Honest question. I don't know how much profit Nvidia turns on a 4080 or 4090 gpu and how that's change from maybe a 2080 or 2080ti. I would guess their margins have gone up and they're comfortable selling far fewer gpus with bigger margins as they still have a big market share lead over their competitors.

i think margins have gone up but not dramatically so. With no hard numbers to back that up I think there are a few reasons why that’s true.

• The product mix has shifted into higher margin products as capable APUs have stunted demand for garbage tier discrete.
  • iHVs were encouraged to unilaterally raise prices after observing consumer behavior during crypto and covid supply shortages.
  • Entry point for decent 1080p performance is $300-$400 now up from $200-$300 a few years ago which means the avg gamer is probably spending a bit more for the same experience in new games.
  • This assumes volumes in the $1000+ segment are negligible in the overall picture.
Those price increases are offset by increased manufacturing costs, wage inflation etc. So overall trending up but I wouldn't bet on these guys making tons of margin in consumer discrete.

Back