Nokia's Present & Future

is Nokia deliberately do that or they really have problem producing lumia 920?

even in indonesia where Nokia usually sell strong, there are no lumia 920. currently htc 8x is standing alone as windows phone 8 phone here.

I'm seeing $800-900 for an unlocked 920 - that's way too high (Galaxy S3 was ~$650 at release and $500 today) and, of coures, nobody has stock.

Unbelievable, Nokia finally has a product on their hands that people want, but now they fail at mass producing it.

Here in Denmark, nobody has stock until december 6th. That's cutting it pretty late if you're planning to gift one for christmas. Nokia is going to lose a shit ton of sales to Apple and Samsung this way.

Cheers

theyre in stock here in nz, might be a bit more expensive.
but all phoes in nz are sold unlocked.
It was the same with the wii, when they were hard to get elsewhere there was plenty here, perhaps an idea for someone to make some cash?

btw even after lumia 920 release, pure view 808 still have stupidly high price.

if it get a lot price cut, like maybe become 300 dollar, there really no reason to choose point and shoot camera

in bright condition 808 almost as good as Sony rx100

btw even after lumia 920 release, pure view 808 still have stupidly high price.

I think it likely that the sensor and lens are stupidly high in price, at least in relation to more typical smartphone cameras. No surprise at all to me that the price of the 808 isn't dropping - I'm sure Nokia don't want to sell them at a loss.

Unbelievable, Nokia finally has a product on their hands that people want, but now they fail at mass producing it.

Here in Denmark, nobody has stock until december 6th. That's cutting it pretty late if you're planning to gift one for christmas. Nokia is going to lose a shit ton of sales to Apple and Samsung this way.

Cheers

Pish posh! You know you shop for Christmas at the last minute either way ;)

That's the way of the Great Dane!

But yeah, it seems like Nokia have failed to capitalize on the given opportunity here.

I finally had occasion to use Nokia's Drive app, which is awesome! I can see why MS dumped their own WP 7.5 map app as Nokia's is so much better.

Maybe cash flow concerns caused them to order a conservative volume of units.

If they overproduced and got stuck with a lot of unsold inventory, that's a bigger problem.

There's always the possibility that they did make a lot of units, but that demand was just too strong.

Not saying that's the case, but it's certainly a possibility.

It's also possible that AT&T in the US got the bulk of Nokia WP8 shipments. Leaving less for other regions of the world.

It'll be interesting to see if WP8 can manage to save HTC or Nokia. Or if Samsung will win the WP8 fight just as it did with Android phones.

Regards,
SB

I can't remember the source right now, but it was mentioned somwhere that Nokia has already sold almost as many Lumia 920's as all other Lumias sold combined last quarter

If Nokia are supply-constrained with the 920, my guess would be the camera lens/sensor combo as being the most likely culprit. I'd have thought that the other hardware shouldn't really be too much of an issue? I suppose the screen could perhaps be an issue as well?

They're reporting very high preorders here in The Netherlands as well, at the level of the iPhone 5

Yes, can't be that the phone would actually be one the best phones if not the best phone out there :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's a great phone, but the concept of a "best" phone is, to me at least, akin to a concept of a "best hat" or "best car" or even "best laptop"

Maybe someone likes ballcaps over cowboy hats, iOS over Android or Linux over Windows...etc.
You could argue it has the best hardware available - something a bit less subjective - but even that is a bit silly since you've only to wait roughly ten minutes before any hardware you can buy is surpassed and obsolete.

I myself haven't had the opportunity to use a 920 yet and would like to. I'm not keen on the look of WP8 or RT or W8 in general with the flat tile thing, but I've only used W8 on a slate and even then only a bit. Regardless I'm not in the market for a phone for another year most likely so I'm looking forward to the 930 or 950 or whatever being a serious contender then.

There's always the possibility that they did make a lot of units, but that demand was just too strong.

Not saying that's the case, but it's certainly a possibility.

It's also possible that AT&T in the US got the bulk of Nokia WP8 shipments. Leaving less for other regions of the world.

It'll be interesting to see if WP8 can manage to save HTC or Nokia. Or if Samsung will win the WP8 fight just as it did with Android phones.

Regards,
SB

I doubt Samsung will make a dent in WP8 share as they keep rehashing their Android phones. And unless you are a diehard who wants microSD, I don't see how you can pick the ATIV S over the more capable 920 or the more pocketable 8X.

Before I actually got a 920, I really wanted the ATIV S. I guess I was concerned about the size of the 920, but now that I have one and have compared it to my friend's Galaxy SIII, I really don't regret getting the 920 at all.

Back