Nokia's Present & Future

So if someone sends me a file (any file), I can then attach my phone to my laptop and copy the file to the laptop over USB, yes?

And, conversely, I can copy my music library and documents to the phone over USB?

Correct.

Well, though it's a far cry from the "openess" of some platforms this is a huge improvement and a real move toward nerd legitimacy for the wp platform. Cool stuff.

I just got my wireless charger (it was back ordered). This thing is really handy. Seems to charge just as fast as a cable. I think I'm going to get another one for my office.

I just got my wireless charger (it was back ordered). This thing is really handy. Seems to charge just as fast as a cable. I think I'm going to get another one for my office.

Are those magnetic like the old Palm/HP ones? Those "touchstones" were uber cool.

Latest China rankings:

1. Samsung
2. Lenovo
3. Coolpad
4. ZTE
5. Huwei
6. Apple

This is pre-iPhone 5 launch and no mention of Nokia at all.

Are those magnetic like the old Palm/HP ones? Those "touchstones" were uber cool.
I'm not familiar with other wireless charging units. The Nokia one is just a plastic pad, about 5mm thick, that you set the phone on and it starts charging automatically.

When I first read about built-in wireless charging, I thought "Meh, who cares?". But just like heated seats in an automobile, I am finding wireless charging to be an actually useful option. Now I wish laptops and tablets had this option. It's so nice to not have to plug in cables.

So far, I'm really liking the Lumia 920.

The HP/Palm ones (going back a few years) were like short cylinders cut at an angle so that the phone was tilted when sitting on the touchstone. To hold it there it used magnets in the phone and charger so the phone stuck to it.

images

it runs in mass storage mode that supported by anything or in media transfer mode?

That I don't know. There are certainly no content limitation on what you can store on it, but under Windows there is a specific driver for Windows Phones, so it doesn't show up as a mass storage device under that OS. I could try it on a Mac and see what happens.

I'm not familiar with other wireless charging units. The Nokia one is just a plastic pad, about 5mm thick, that you set the phone on and it starts charging automatically.

When I first read about built-in wireless charging, I thought "Meh, who cares?". But just like heated seats in an automobile, I am finding wireless charging to be an actually useful option. Now I wish laptops and tablets had this option. It's so nice to not have to plug in cables.

So far, I'm really liking the Lumia 920.

Heads up... I highly recommend not actually using the phone while it's on the wireless charger. It gets -hot- if you do that.

Heads up... I highly recommend not actually using the phone while it's on the wireless charger. It gets -hot- if you do that.

It would also be really awkward. Just imagine having to hold that charging pad, with the cable, and the phone to your ear. The easy part about wireless charging is that you don't have to unplug any cables if you do get a call while it's charging. You just pick up the phone and voila.

so 920 it's the same with cheap docking charger?

and yeah it's nice to have basing on my experience using Nintendo 3ds free, charging dock.

and minimize cluTter. I can put the thing on table with cable hidden under fabric

It would also be really awkward. Just imagine having to hold that charging pad, with the cable, and the phone to your ear. The easy part about wireless charging is that you don't have to unplug any cables if you do get a call while it's charging. You just pick up the phone and voila.

I was obviously not talking about making calls. It turns out that a lot of phones do other things these days that don't require holding it to your ear.

Has anyone got any info on whether nokia has manage to correct the slight annoyances with the camera, such as daylight darkness and fuzzy video when compared to the iphone 5? ...was a bit dissapointed with this aspect cnsidering the thickness of the phone im comparison to the iphone, hoping a software up date would remedy this.

Other than that im like the lumia 920, battery life is better than i thought it was gonna be..ie is decent but not ground breaking, also screen looks to be really high end, marginally worse then retina qualitywise, but is bigger, slightly higher ppi, and has better sensitivty and refresh rate which is cool.

Stereo sound and some proper pureview 808 style is in order though me thinks for the thickness and weight, i was expectng an 16\24 mp for this size phone.

There are commercials in the US and one features a TV actor holding the 920 in his hand.

Either he has small hands or it's gargantuan -- the thing was longer than from his wrist to the end of his middle finger.

Has anyone got any info on whether nokia has manage to correct the slight annoyances with the camera, such as daylight darkness and fuzzy video when compared to the iphone 5? ...was a bit dissapointed with this aspect cnsidering the thickness of the phone im comparison to the iphone, hoping a software up date would remedy this.

Other than that im like the lumia 920, battery life is better than i thought it was gonna be..ie is decent but not ground breaking, also screen looks to be really high end, marginally worse then retina qualitywise, but is bigger, slightly higher ppi, and has better sensitivty and refresh rate which is cool.

Stereo sound and some proper pureview 808 style is in order though me thinks for the thickness and weight, i was expectng an 16\24 mp for this size phone.
Pureview isn't just about sensor size you know, 920 while has worse general quality [than 808] has other things which are superior even to 808 (optical image stabilization, helps both with video and nighttime shots etc)

I don't know what you mean by fuzzy videos compared to iPhone, someone must have done some pretty big works to make that happen based on what I've seen in reviews and real life

Last edited by a moderator:
My >5 years old few megapixel pocket camera takes much better pictures than it.

Not too surprising. It is probable that your older pocket camera has a considerably larger sensor size than the Lumia (or any other mobile phone camera, for that matter).

It's not a good idea to expect too much from a smartphone camera, despite improvements in recent models as the small sensor and lens mean they tend to struggle to match even older point and shoot cameras.

Yeah but you have a big, thick, heavy phone and one of the reasons was the floating sensor module.

So if the camera isn't a big improvement, they made some design choices that were mistakes.

Of course, Nokia has to tout their camera, since it's one of the main differentiators.

Back