Nokia's Present & Future

just come from nokia launch party, and , , , ,

the lumia 920 really give mixed result. too bad they forbidden sending the photo and video files.

seems pure view in 920 not as stunning as 808.

btw, nokia seems really need to tweak their noise reduction. it kills detail even in bright condition

I thought WP8 was going to free up things over WP7. Is there still all these lock downs on files that can be sent, filesystem access etc.? MS needs to give users the access they would have with W8 and make WP8 an open system (not open source) to win a large chunk of the geek space IMHO.

I think he meant that they forbid to send them from that launch party. which is strange, since it's been retail for some time already

yes, that what I mean. sorry it it was not clear enough.

btw the 'share' is disabled. pressing share only flash the screen and nothing happened.

the stabilizer is impressive though. really beat my Xperia sola.

tried while riding segway in Nokia indoor track complete with bump.

the Nokia indonesia boss seems enjoying it too much lol. he keep riding again and again

The "share" button was disabled in that particular build for the launch party, it's not on the retail devices which have been available in many countries for quite some time already

btw nokia indonesia officially say pure view 808 is a special limited product and there only 3 smart os.

ios
android
wp

they completely forgot symbian that still alive?

same as the previous Microsoft office event, they completely forgot that symbian have office.

Last edited by a moderator:
the nokia line seems to be selling well , perhaps they will start to actually turn around

Did you find some data?
920 seems nice. Add filesystem access, open up WP8 a bit and get a larger or replaceable battery and it's a winner for sure. Still, I haven't seen any hard numbers on Nokia other than the disappointing results for pre-920 when they were claiming to have overtaken the iPhone in China but, in actuality, did not.

Did you find some data?
920 seems nice. Add filesystem access, open up WP8 a bit and get a larger or replaceable battery and it's a winner for sure. Still, I haven't seen any hard numbers on Nokia other than the disappointing results for pre-920 when they were claiming to have overtaken the iPhone in China but, in actuality, did not.

Only data I've seen was it selling 2.5 million in 20 days - more than all the other Lumias sold combined in the last quarter.

WP8 doesn't allow full filesystem access, but you can browse the user folder if you connect it to a machine via USB.

It seems incredibly unlikely than more than that will ever be offered, simply based on what WP is.

WP8 doesn't allow full filesystem access, but you can browse the user folder if you connect it to a machine via USB.

It seems incredibly unlikely than more than that will ever be offered, simply based on what WP is.

So if someone sends me a file (any file), I can then attach my phone to my laptop and copy the file to the laptop over USB, yes?

And, conversely, I can copy my music library and documents to the phone over USB?

There are apps. which will allow some kind of file system access even on iOS.

But what is the advantage of manually dragging a set of music files over syncing?

I will say there are some occasions when file system access could be useful. For instance, I have a couple of check register apps. So I can import CSV or QFX files downloaded from my bank into those apps. to get the transactions automatically entered.

But I have to do it through iTunes, select the app. and then navigate and select the file to import and then sync. Or if I could drag and drop, I guess I could switch to the desktop and drag and drop the file. A bit simpler but not a whole lot simpler.

If these apps. had full iCloud or Dropbox support, then I could import the files that way. There are probably apps. which do, as well as directly download from banks. But those aren't free.

isn't syncing is slow and have incompatibilities and confusing?

at least that's what happend to me on iTunes, Nokia PC Suite, Samsung pc suite android something something, Sony sync something something.

the nokia pc suite is really annoying for media files, the iTunes i don't understand how to use it, the same with samsung's and sony's.

Sure there's some logic going on, especially if you are syncing playlists or whatever. But you don't have to go hunt for specific files, select them manually and drag over.

With phones, you can sync by Wifi, in the background.

You can sync music and podcasts without any DRM.

Back