Nokia's Present & Future

wait.. what?
i never expect windows phone to be that dumb... Windows Mobile already have seperate volume right?

what's wrong with today's super smartphones. They smart to be "computer" but utterly dumb as a phone.

i was considering moving into WP8 after being led confused, baffled, and super angry with android (it took 10 secs to ANSWER a phone call, took almost a MINUTE to open phonebook). Now i'm considering Symbian again... ugh, there's no evernote on symbian.

after being led confused, baffled, and super angry with android (it took 10 secs to ANSWER a phone call, took almost a MINUTE to open phonebook).

I have to ask, how did you manage that?

Doesn't everyone have an icon on their phone's home screen for the phonebook ('Contacts') and one for the dialler as well? Pretty straightforward to access both from there, I'd have thought.

Actually, I'll contradict myself there as I don't bother with the Contacts section at all once I've set up my phone. My dialler has T9 dialling so it is very easy to call anyone direct from there with just a few touches.

As regards your other point, the volume issue on WP7 sounds a bizarre one! Surely MS will have changed this for WP8?

I have to ask, how did you manage that?

Doesn't everyone have an icon on their phone's home screen for the phonebook ('Contacts') and one for the dialler as well? Pretty straightforward to access both from there, I'd have thought.

Actually, I'll contradict myself there as I don't bother with the Contacts section at all once I've set up my phone. My dialler has T9 dialling so it is very easy to call anyone direct from there with just a few touches.

sorry, i mean that the dialer took almost a minute to work to search for contacts. That's android on Dual Core 1GHz CPU. My previous Symbian phone with 400MHz single core CPU is much faster.

As regards your other point, the volume issue on WP7 sounds a bizarre one! Surely MS will have changed this for WP8?

it is strange, really. MS already have experience with phone in Windows Mobile. I dont remember about call volume but i remember that on my Acer PDA it allow independent volume control. im sure TCPMP (the media player that i used) have independent volume.

sorry, i mean that the dialer took almost a minute to work to search for contacts. That's android on Dual Core 1GHz CPU. My previous Symbian phone with 400MHz single core CPU is much faster.
Somethings really wrong there, at least here (HTC Desire before, now HTC One S) dialer suggests contacts instantly as you use the "t9" dialing

Somethings really wrong there, at least here (HTC Desire before, now HTC One S) dialer suggests contacts instantly as you use the "t9" dialing

even the keyboard is lag badly.

previously on Samsung Galaxy Gio, that problem a bit cured when im running cyanogenmod. then i suspect much faster CPU in Sony Xperia Sola running official ICS should be solving all that basic phone function right? In reality nope, its still slow.

seems i need to use Cyanogenmod to reduce the lag and slowness but there no cyanogenmod for Xperia Sola. al that problem make me confused, baffled, and super angry with android.

that's why im considering WP8, but then its unveiled that WP7 have that stupid feature... i really hope Microsoft fixed that volume control on WP8. or someone please make evernote for symbian...

even the keyboard is lag badly.

previously on Samsung Galaxy Gio, that problem a bit cured when im running cyanogenmod. then i suspect much faster CPU in Sony Xperia Sola running official ICS should be solving all that basic phone function right? In reality nope, its still slow.

seems i need to use Cyanogenmod to reduce the lag and slowness but there no cyanogenmod for Xperia Sola. al that problem make me confused, baffled, and super angry with android.

that's why im considering WP8, but then its unveiled that WP7 have that stupid feature... i really hope Microsoft fixed that volume control on WP8. or someone please make evernote for symbian...

Sounds like there is some kind of serious problem either with whichever ROM you are using or possibly a rogue app sucking up all your CPU cycles or having a big memory leak? The fact that you've encountered this problem with more than one phone makes me wonder if a dodgy app is the issue.

I'm on my third android phone now and even the cheapo single-core 600MHz ZTE Blade from a couple of years ago had no significant lag when accessing the dialler/contacts or doing pretty much anything, actually!

The big downside with Android remains the lack of updates from many of the manufacturers - I've got a Motorola Atrix which has just been unceremoniously dumped by Motofail (as they should now be known) and left on a crappy Gingerbread ROM. Their top-end phone just 18 months ago and they can't be bothered to provide even a proper ICS upgrade. Shameful.

Anyway, sorry for the OT. Although WP7 phone users have been let down by a lack of WP8 support, I'd sort of hope that Nokia and MS will keep the new WP8 phones up to date a bit more effectively!

Anyway, sorry for the OT. Although WP7 phone users have been let down by a lack of WP8 support, I'd sort of hope that Nokia and MS will keep the new WP8 phones up to date a bit more effectively!

Microsoft has said that WP8 devices will get all the updates they bring out for the next 18 months after the launch of WP8. That's about the same kind of support they are providing for WP7 actually. I hope they revise that stance to be honest.

Microsoft has said that WP8 devices will get all the updates they bring out for the next 18 months after the launch of WP8. That's about the same kind of support they are providing for WP7 actually. I hope they revise that stance to be honest.

it sounds on par with andriod phones also.

this weekend microsoft have windows 8 launch expo on my country, too bad they confirmed its windows 8 eksk. no windows phone 8,

btw about my android, it really slow haha. please the sound volume is really fixed on windows phone 8 if have any info, share here. thank you.

yeah about 73.74633 billion trillion qunition times slower than apple
well done MS
you're improving, arent they eastmen? :D

What kind of troll was this? The conversation was about duration for which new updates would be guaranteed available for launch handsets, not speed at which updates would be available.

If you're going to blatantly troll something, try reading the post you're trolling.

windows 8 expo on indonesia, i managed to ask them about windows phone 8 lumia 920 demo there.

bad news, the media volume is still the same as ring volume. I tried it myself too :-/

orangpelupa: thank you for the info, you're the first source I've been able to find on the interwebs. And :( at the fact volume controls are still glued together.

Between the broken "missed calls" volume and Microsoft's rubbish-in-portrait 16:9 tablets I'm starting to lose interest in MS's offerings. Whatever their product's plus points might be, if there's a fundamental weakness than massively impacts on a device's primary purpose then I won't be buying it.

the demo exhibition guy tell me that its for simplicity. because if you conection it to headphone or this speaker, the volume is directly controlled easily from those device. your call volume won't messed up,

he tell me that while also showing nfc something speaker and a bluetooth headset.

the problem is, my hands-free earphone no volume control. but I get what he meant too, if I have that fancy thing he bring.

Neither my headphones nor the packaged hands free kit for my phone have any kind of volume control either! And even if you're just using the phone with no attachments, you probably don't want Angry Birds to running at 100% volume on the train just so you don't forget to put the Ringer back up when you're done. People would (justifiably) kill you.

I don't even want to be typing text messages with the tapping sound at full volume because it would annoy everyone around me, but I always want the ringer to be as loud as possible to make sure I don't miss important calls.

Even using MS's logic it doesn't make sense to tie all volume controls together.

So my dream of a Nokia re-union thanks to the Lumia 920 ends here. Should probably start looking at Android phones now...

windows 8 expo on indonesia, i managed to ask them about windows phone 8 lumia 920 demo there.

bad news, the media volume is still the same as ring volume. I tried it myself too :-/

If you check the Engadget review for the HTC 8X you'll see that it has the option to automatically set the ringer volume at maximum whenever your phone is in your pocket or in your bag or something. Another thing is that you can enable the phone to decrease ringer volume from the moment you pick it up or to turn it on mute if you flip it over. Pretty nice of HTC to enable that. I hope that Nokia learns from their example, as the reviewer seemed to say that it was an HTC specific option and not a standard WP8 feature.

If you check the Engadget review for the HTC 8X you'll see that it has the option to automatically set the ringer volume at maximum whenever your phone is in your pocket or in your bag or something. Another thing is that you can enable the phone to decrease ringer volume from the moment you pick it up or to turn it on mute if you flip it over. Pretty nice of HTC to enable that. I hope that Nokia learns from their example, as the reviewer seemed to say that it was an HTC specific option and not a standard WP8 feature.

it seems HTC's tech. They already do that on Windows Mobile (or is it android?) devices long before Windows Phone comes.

it seems HTC's tech. They already do that on Windows Mobile (or is it android?) devices long before Windows Phone comes.

Not sure of the "max volume when in pocket", but decreasing volume when you take it in your hand and silencing when flipping over is on their Androids

AT&T pricing announced, along with availability for the 920:
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?p...ticleid=35656&mapcode=consumer|mobile-devices

Short story:
Lumia 920:
$99 with contract. Preorders start 11/7, available 11/9
Comes with free wireless charging base for a limited time.

Lumia 820:
$50 with contract, same deal with the 920.

HTC 8x:
$99 for 8GB, $199 for 16gb. Available "before Thanksgiving"

At those price points, it seems like a no-brainer for anyone in for a WP8 device on AT&T to go for the 920. Double the storage for half the price and available this week instead of "sometime"? Whew.

Back