Nokia's Present & Future

Lets say the WP8 Lumias get a good foothold and some momentum.

Is Nokia going to be able to increase prices later on? Because presumably they're selling at a lower price in order to have a lower upfront price, as opposed to AT&T paying a higher subsidy.

Can they make money at those margins? Motorola got Droid sales off to a great start by doing BOGO deals but kept losing money. Then other brands like Samsung dominated Android sales and Motorola couldn't hike prices.

Lets say the WP8 Lumias get a good foothold and some momentum.

Is Nokia going to be able to increase prices later on? Because presumably they're selling at a lower price in order to have a lower upfront price, as opposed to AT&T paying a higher subsidy.

Can they make money at those margins? Motorola got Droid sales off to a great start by doing BOGO deals but kept losing money. Then other brands like Samsung dominated Android sales and Motorola couldn't hike prices.

My guess is that the carrier is eating most of the difference. At the very least, it would pretty neatly explain why the 920 ended up AT&T exclusive.

Good point, though Windows Phone is unproven so it would seem like the carriers would have more leverage, unless the WP7 sales were good enough that they think WP8 will be a hit.

Word has it that the Chinese Lumia 920T will have a Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset instead of an S4 Plus. Here's a link to the story: http://wmpoweruser.com/chinas-nokia...ragon-s4-pro-processor-better-adreno-320-gpu/

It purportedly features a Snapdragon MSM8960T chipset, which has the same Krait CPU as the MSM8960, but an Adreno 320 GPU instead of an Adreno 225. Seems pretty interesting. I wouldn't have minded if they had featured all the Lumia 920s with an S4 Pro chipset.

Word has it that the Chinese Lumia 920T will have a Snapdragon S4 Pro chipset instead of an S4 Plus. Here's a link to the story: http://wmpoweruser.com/chinas-nokia...ragon-s4-pro-processor-better-adreno-320-gpu/

It purportedly features a Snapdragon MSM8960T chipset, which has the same Krait CPU as the MSM8960, but an Adreno 320 GPU instead of an Adreno 225. Seems pretty interesting. I wouldn't have minded if they had featured all the Lumia 920s with an S4 Pro chipset.

I think its more likely the chinese phone seller is lying and now its being parroted by western blogs. Microsoft would need to approve and certificate a new SOC before it can be used in WP8.

Trying to find a Lumia 920, but no one has it in stock. The ATT website says it's backordered. Is it a supply issue, or did they mispredict demand? Kind of surprised. I thought it would be easy to get one.

i'm jealous of all you guys getting windows phones. I went note 2 after sprint was a no show. hopefully sprint gets something good (more than just whats out now) early next year

I really wanted the Samsung Ativ s, but I can't find any solid release date info, not to mention if ATT is even getting it. I'm an impatient bastard, so I went for the Nokia.

let us know how you like it. Sprint came out and said they are getting a windows phone sometime next year but who knows what it will be. I'm hoping its not like in june and we get the phones other carriers are getting now and then a few months later the other carriers get refreshes.

I loved my arrive but my job involves a lot of doing nothing lol so a big screen helps keep me entertained and we have some towers with lte for sprint and the arrive only had 3g. Esp right now since Hoboken is a disaster area and I just sit around all day in empty buildings.

I am now using 808 and very happy with it. I have always been fine with Symbian so moving to this was probably a lot less painful than to anything else. (I was coming from C5-00)

Excelent phone (honestly, best I have had for years. great reception and excelent sound quality, easy to use SMS and dialing / phone book.), great pocket camera and okayish net palm device. And oh, in my use battery keeps going three days(!) with single full charge.

Nowdays that's something.

Sadly, this will most likely to be my last Nokia phone as I have had possibility to test Windows Phones (I have even made few prototype apps for the seven) in my work and I just can't see myself learning how to use them, they are too different.

Hopefully Jolla gets things going. I think their way of thinking might be closer to my stubborn-middle-age-propeller-head-ideology.

Has anyone tried the 3D gaming feature with the Nokia Lumia 800? I have just ordered mine online on Saturday from Vodafone and was wondering what your experience was with it, as I have never tried it before. Any good? If so, can you recommend any games? Thanks. :)

I finally got a Lumia 920. It's a really nice phone. Nokia makes quality hardware. Beautiful screen and the call quality is a lot better than my previous phone (Samsung Focus). Only had it a day, but so far I really like it. I compared it to a coworker's Galaxy SIII, and it really isn't that much bigger. It is a bit heavier, though I wouldn't even notice unless I was specifically looking for it.

Windows Phone 8 seems very similar to Windows Phone 7.5. Maybe there are improvements under the hood, but the UI is nearly identical.

I guess that familiar UI was the point. :) Under the hood it's vastly different though. Windows CE is gone and core kernel components are shared with Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT.

Well take with a pinch of salt but lumia 920 is showing huge consumer interest, according to att and amazon selling chartswhich show them all sold out.

Of course this could just be a marketing ploy with low stock but i think that would be a silly move for nokia to miss out on early sales considering the extreme high end competition.

Well take with a pinch of salt but lumia 920 is showing huge consumer interest, according to att and amazon selling chartswhich show them all sold out.

They also did show incredible numbers back in the Lumia 900 launch... but when the numbers came up, the Lumia 900 didn't even manage sell 500 000 units.

Well if thats the case then they are stupid, i suppose the ploy worked for the wii....but you would think they would want to maximise install base straight away..

In my area of the US (Northern California), they have black and white 920s on display, but they were out of stock in every store I checked. I had to order mine from ATT's website. My unit shipped from Texas. I haven't checked availability lately though.

Back