Nokia's Present & Future

Why do this now instead of waiting for WP8?

Does Nokia want to get another handful of mad clients because their smartphones got virtually outdated 3 months after their purchase?

Well Nokia can probably handle the supersekrit upcoming WP8 phone 'leaks' department with relatively few hands, so perhaps sending out everyone else as modern day door to door salesmen to aid their unfortunate customers in getting rid of some of their unsold Lumia inventory, and perhaps clean up some shelf space for the next flop, really is their best option at this point in time?

Why do this now instead of waiting for WP8?

Does Nokia want to get another handful of mad clients because their smartphones got virtually outdated 3 months after their purchase?

The word going around is windows phone 8 nokia devices will hit early sept.

Would it be better or worse to come out before the next iPhone, also expected in September?

They have to be out before.

It's not that they will sell in big numbers, a lot of people will be fence-sitting until iPhone 5 arrives (me included). However, Nokia needs to have the alternative ready so that consumers can pick one or the other once the verdict on iPhone 5 is in.

Cheers

I'm fine with Nokia or anyone having reps in store. If, however, they pull the astroturf stuff they've been doing in various forums and pretend to be enthusiastic users when they're really employees, that's not okay in my book.

Totally agree...anything like that is false and disingenuous imo.
That and the fake reviews Microsoft was caught doing.

Would it be better or worse to come out before the next iPhone, also expected in September?

From what I understand

Windows phone will hit early sept

Ipad mini in late sept

Iphone 5 in late november.

Nokia should have the 900 as a free phone at at&t at that time along with the $100 and $200 spot at sprint , verizon , at&t and t mobile running windows phone 8.

I must admit..it is funny how you Americans get such a raw deal over there compared to UK.

Paying money for a phone on contract!?...blasphemy to us Britons! :)

I must admit..it is funny how you Americans get such a raw deal over there compared to UK.

We are stuck ,

Mainly we have 3 options.

1) Go prepaid and deal with a poor selection of older phones and spotty service

2) Jump on board with one of the big companys and pay their plan prices but bring your own phone

3) Jump on board with the big companys and pay their plan prices and get a subsidised phone.

Also you get that crummy forced carrier branding and bloatware smothered everywhere....don't get me wrong we get some of that over here...but not anywhere near to that extent.

I picked up a brand new galaxy s3 delivered to my door the very day it was released..free on contract for £26 a month...with 1st month half price and a gift pack....

Also you get that crummy forced carrier branding and bloatware smothered everywhere....don't get me wrong we get some of that over here...but not anywhere near to that extent.

I picked up a brand new galaxy s3 delivered to my door the very day it was released..free on contract for £26 a month...with 1st month half price and a gift pack....

How long is the contract and what's included for the £26?

How long is the contract and what's included for the £26?

2 years I think...100 mins any network anytime. Unlimited txts 1.5gb data per month...half price line rental for the first month, free insurance for one month..plus gift pack.

Oh yea unlocked with not a hint of carrier bloatware anywhere..not even the boot screen..nothing.

2 years I think...100 mins any network anytime. Unlimited txts 1.5gb data per month...half price line rental for the first month, free insurance for one month..plus gift pack.

Oh yea unlocked with not a hint of carrier bloatware anywhere..not even the boot screen..nothing.

I assume there are roaming charges and up-charges on data outside the UK?

Which provider is that? I would have thought Three, but not even they are that inexpensive - maybe a special offer?
And while their phones are usually bloat-free, I don't remember them selling them unlocked...

Congress is bought off by just about every substantial industry. So the biggest carriers get the choice spectrum and they get the govt. to write laws that favor them.

When Europe and most of the rest of the world was standardizing on GSM, the US let carriers do whatever standard they wanted. It took a decade for one of the two big carriers to come around to GSM/UMTS/HSPA.

Now most carriers are moving to LTE but they've carved out spectrum so that LTE phones won't work across carriers.

Not sure about roaming charges too be honest.

I got it online from a subsidiary of the carphone warehouse...the network is t mobile...and as I've got an option to switch network frequencies I think that would mean it's unlocked? I havnt got another micro SIM to test it.

Overseas data costs an arm and a leg here in Europe. I understand the that EU may be planning to bring in legislation to make the charges less ridiculous. Whether or not this is the case, I don't know.

Every time I head overseas, the first thing I do is disable the data connection on the phone. Wifi hotspots then come in handy!

Network roaming between different providers within the UK isn't possible at present.

Phones sold on contracts are usually locked to the relevant network, (Vodafone being the exception), but it is usually pretty easy to get an unlock code within a few weeks of release of a phone. Usually costs 10 or 20 quid, in my experience.

I have a friend who went with me to te Dominican Republic during holidays.

When we got back, he had a 1300€ data bill to play.
Although he never actually used any data, his HTC Flyer decided it was a good opportunity to do an OTA update.

I have a friend who went with me to te Dominican Republic during holidays.

When we got back, he had a 1300€ data bill to play.
Although he never actually used any data, his HTC Flyer decided it was a good opportunity to do an OTA update.

Yeah, roaming charges are really retarded. Rarely seen more anti-consumer practice in my life.

Back